dumb dumb dumb

Jody

Lifted up a hot candle and brought it closer to me to blow out and it tipped over and all the hot wax went into my bra and shirt. Bright red and hace ice on it but scared it might blister. How dumb can you be, I just poured it all over myself.

InsaneCdn

Cold cloths - like ice water, but not ice - might need for HOURS to get the heat out.
Do that BEFORE putting any aloe vera or other gels or ointments on...
You have to get the HEAT out.
(cold shower is ok too - but not at this time of year!)

Sounds like something I'd have done... maybe that's why I don't have candles around?
(I'm a TOTAL klutz)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Have you been taking lessons from me?!

I second the aloe vera - make sure it doesn't have any additives!

Jody

It is blistering. I put a frozen bag of carrots and then an ice bag, ran cold water over the area and its' flaming red and blistering. Ugh what a mess and ouch. Can't believe I did this. I am at work and look a mess and I think I am leaving to go home early and get in the shower. difficult child called and I told her what happened and do you know what she said geez mom, ouch, can I color my hair red. Omg, I am going to beam her.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Ouch!

The blistering is second-degree burns. Perhaps your doctor can get you something strong to soothe the pain...

klmno

OUCH!! I've done dumber things- last winter I was putting a slow cooker full of roast/vegies onto the top shelf in the fridge but it hadn't cooled as much as I thought and the liquid spilled onto my shoulders and neck, giving me 3rd degree burns. If this blisters on you, go to a dr or Patient First or whatever right away- unlike me. I just saw your latest post on this- yes, go to the dr asap.

H

HaoZi

See the doctor and get that really good burn gel. Medical honey, aloe vera (from the plant if you can) and A&D ointment can help with minimizing scarring, but first see a doctor.

DammitJanet

I second calling the doctor. You may need something called Silva cream. I worry that with it being wax, it may have left some behind on your skin. Plain hot water burns are bad enough but wax is worse. It sticks.

klmno

They also put me on an antibiotic- I guess the blisters normally bust then skin comes off- the cream helps prevent scarring and some of the pain but when the skin comes off, your body isn't protected from infection, especially when the area typically has clothes rubbing it.

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((hugs)))))

DO NOT PUT HONEY ON THIS. Not until ALL the heat is out.

Go to the doctor. IF you totally cannot, the ER will treat you even if you can't pay and a burn there qualifies as an ER trip.

Walmart sells a product in the first aid section (near the gauze, etc....) called "Burn Jel Plus". You will NEED this. It has aloe, tea tree oil, and lidocaine. Get the heat out, and put a thick layer of this on the area (may need this for several days until it heals). Let it absorb - it is a miracle jel. I strongly recommend this - can't tell you how helpful it has been.

The lidocaine will help the pain. The aloe will help it heal and the tea tree oili s a HUGE help with infection.

Your skin is your largest organ and the first line of defense against infection. WHen it is compromised you are at a much higher risk of infection of all sorts. PLEASE take care of this.

Stop beating yourself up about being a klutz. How many times have you fallen UP the stairs? Anyone can fall down, after all - I fall UP.

SPills happen and candles are notorious for this. LOTS of people do it, so you are in great company (anytime you are in a group with several of us you are in a great group, of course!) and can stop telling yourself how dumb it was.

Take care of this - don't ignore it. See the doctor or go to the ER. Esp if the blisters are bigger than a pencil eraser around.

(((((hugs)))))

That burn jel plus is a miracle (also is amazing to treat acne - really makes it heal faster)

DammitJanet

Yes I have lived most of the latter part of my life near the ocean and I have either seen or been apart of many nasty burns. Many of them second to third degree burns. Most of them due just to the sun. I will never understand why anyone wants to slather on baby oil and fry themselves on a foil sheet in 103 degree sun. Damned if I am but some folks will and then they end up with fried skin...crispy critters.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You might want to take a trip to the er and have it looked at and treated properly. Plus the doctor will give you something to help with the pain and you should be checked for shock. Sounds like quite a nasty burn, not surprising considering the source.

(((hugs)))

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well of COURSE what everyone else said........but did you reap ANY Of the benefits of your home-made wax job? I mean despite the pain you could have slapped some depilitory paper on it and ripped all the hair off your chest leaving your chesties gleaming after the scars heal.

Then if you do have scars? I'd tell them I battled PIRATES. (not anything about candles)

Hugs for you and the boo boos.
AND GET THEEEEE TO THE DOLLAR TREE and get the battery operated flickering kind........sheesh kiddo........no more matches for you!

Jody

Thank you everyone for the advice. I kept ice bags on it off and on all night. I have two blisters, but they don't look nearly as bad as they did. I called my Dr. and he is going to take a look at it today at 11 AM. The blisters haven't broken so I think I am safe until then from infection. The ice really helped. I am glad no one walked in the bathroom at work yesterday, while I had my breasts in the bathroom sink running cold water on them. lol. What a sight that would have been.