dyslexia question

aeroeng

Mom of Three
Dyslexia absolutely qualifies for special services IN ALL STATES! However, many school systems don't recognize the term and use things like "learning disabled with specific language disorder" in its place. They usually require testing before providing services. Who provided the diagnosis? How extensive was the testing?

In most states a parent can request that the public school do the testing. The school can resist, but must provide it if pushed. Some schools then do a very poor job of performing the testing, and testing out of the school system can get very expensive.

The best source for information related to supporting a dyslexic child is the International Dyslexic Association (IDA). Their website is: http://www.interdys.org/

I can also provide you with information on what to look for the best type of training for a dyslexic. Send me a private message if interested.

I'm a dyslexic mother of two dyslexic kids who all managed to learn to read anyway.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The doctor who did the second opinion wonders if the bulk of wee difficult child's behavior issues aren't reactionary to his anxiety. He has ordered additional testing for additional learning disorders. He suspects dyslexia.

I feel like I'm on a wild goose chase, quite frankly. But I'll keep chasing cause maybe one of these wild geese will have the answer.

svengandhi

Dyslexia per se is not a sped diagnosis. However, my easy child son's only issue is pure dyslexia and he has been classified as Learning Disability (LD) since first grade and he is now entering 8th grade. My son has no behavioral or emotional or physical issues; he is textbook dyslexic. The word Dyslexia has never appeared on his IEP - it's Learning Disability (LD) all the way.

He was given reading instruction with Orton Gillingham and then Wilson. He currently attends a non-public school for Learning Disability (LD) kids and reads above grade level. He is one of the few kids that does not get either remedial math or reading. I attribute that to getting proper reading instruction for him when he was young.

My son's former elementary school was so impressed by how well he learned to read that they actually incorporated some of the Wilson and O-G techniques into regular reading (like teaching kids in K to tap out the sounds).

The kid to dyslexia, assuming that is all there is, is to get reading instruction asap. Do NOT agree to Reading Recovery as studies have shown it can be deleterious to the dyslexic child.

Also, always remember that dyslexics (and I am not one) are exceptionally bright, creative and able to remediate if given the proper tools.

aeroeng

Mom of Three
I am an adult dyslexic with a BS in aerospace engineering and an MS in Technology Management and a fine career in spacecraft flight operations. When I was in third grade I could not read or write anything. Not even words like "it", "the" or "cat". My teacher told my mother that I was probably retarded. Mom said, "No" and sought out training.

Yes I had very serious behavioral issues. Unlike many of the behavioral issues brought up in this website, mine were not of a medical nature, they were environmental. I could not learn the way the school taught me, and was tormented by the kids, picked on by other frustrated kids with learning disabilities, humiliated by the teachers, and severely punished for not doing what I could not do. I was angry and had no self esteem. I hit my all time life low in 3rd grade.

What saved my life are two things: 1) Orton Gillingham training, 2) a child physiologist that understood the emotional issues of being a dyslexic child in a school environment not equipped to deal with it.

Dyslexia really means someone of normal or high IQ that has a difficult time learning to read and write in a traditional classroom environment. That's it. There are as many reasons for a person to be dyslexic as there are dyslexic individuals. Research has shown that the most effective techniques are based on a structured multisensory phonemic awareness approach. Orton Gillingham was the first such program. There are dozens now. The IDA can provide you with a list of approved programs. Wilson is one. Programs like "Reading Recovery" and "Hooked on Phonics" have good stuff in them, but go to fast and not deep enough for the dyslexics kids. So they don't work that well.

I have three sons, two inherited my reading issues. Our schools did not recognize the term "dyslexic" they used Learning Disability (LD). But I don't care what you call it, just provide the proper training. When I pushed for what training program the school was going to use, they provide me with a book list. They did not even know what a training program was!!!!!!!!! I found a private OG tutor, and the school was amazed at how well my first child did. (After a couple of years of blowing me off they started respecting me)

I was smarter when my third son started having troubles. By then I had learned that strong phonemic skills started at age 3 were the most effective way to compensate. He had the most significant issues, but started young enough that now he reads better then any of us.

Me: Now I read and compose at a graduate level. But, still struggle with spelling. No feel for it at all. I believe in myself - and that made the biggest difference.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It's an Learning Disability (LD), which qualifies for services, and then you can get specifics for reading in the IEP.

Jett is dyslexic - runs in husband's family.

aeroeng

Mom of Three
And I forgot to add ...

If I had the choice between a dyslexic child or a difficult child. Without question I would pick the dyslexic child. Managing a dyslexic child is a lot of work, but it is understood and strate forward. Managing a difficult child is ... well ... impossible.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I was told dyslexia was Learning Disability (LD) in our district.

I have dyscalculia - thought I was a dummy my entire life, but it turns out I'm really rather brilliant, and now I'm a bookkeeper for a large construction company and I've done a lot of calculations for water, sewer, and storm drains, elevations, and measurements on properties. Go figure.

I just learn backwards to forwards on stuff.

Christy

Dyslexia can fit under learning disabled although as a reading intervention teacher who taught a program for dyslexic children in our school system, I would say that only about a third of my students were in special education. This program was a multi-sensory, sequential phonics program based on the Orton Gillingham method, as Aeroeng can attest, this method of teaching yields excellent results in teaching dyslexic student to read. I started working with my students in second grade and continued with them until fourth or fifth grade and it is amazing the progress they've made.

As far as qualifying for sped services, I will say that our school system is purposely evasive. We use a phonological screening evaluation for students that are referred to the program by their teachers. We then share the results at a meeting with the parents and decide if the program is a good fit. If the parent asks if their child is dyslexic, we are told to say that the testing indicates many characteristic of dyslexia but we are not qualified to diagnose dyslexia.

Last edited:

pepperidge

Interesting discussion. I have a question for you knowledgeable about dyslexia. My oldest sons appears to have many characteristics of dyslexia--but has always been at grade level or above with reading. Terrible spelling though, abysmal handwriting, and absolutely no ability to remember math facts at all. can do math calculations but needs repetition. and even then... He is very bright. Retains scientific facts and much else like no one's business.

I am wondering if he has some weird form of dyslexia. And whether there are math remediation programs that are as specialized as the reading ones. He's going into 9 grade, probably has math at about 5th grade level.

School has tried to remediate, without much success. Sorry to ask questions in this thread, but I thought you guys might be able to steer me somewhere useful.

We are having neuropysch testing redone. Last time was in 2nd grade. No mention of dyslexia then.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm not an expert on this by any means...all new to me...but, the doctor we saw that is now pointing at this, TOO, said there are many forms, not all impair all the different functions. So from my understanding, you could have, like star, someone who can read fine, but can't do math to save their lives... There was also different forms of dyslexia besides problems taking in visual information - auditory, visual, a form that involved just processing info wrong, etc...
again, I'm sorry I'm not very knowledgeable, but that's what this dude said.

aeroeng

Mom of Three
I think part of the reason schools don't use the word "dyslexia" and replace it with Learning Disability (LD) is that every dyslexic person is different. The key is finding what works for you. Technically dyslexia is related to reading issues. The abysmal handwriting is dysgraphia, and the math struggles are dyscalculia. It is not uncommon for someone to have significant troubles with low level math but be able to manage high level math well. Example: I had a terrible time learning arithmetic, and fractions, but no troubles learning calculus all the way up to deferential equations.

But you want strategies:

For the abysmal handwriting:
- Teach him to type!!!!!!!!! There are words I can not tell you how to spell, I can not write down correctly, but I will type correctly. It seems the fingering uses a different area of the brain and it works better. My abysmal handwriting is partly a result of directional confusion. Typing eliminates that. I struggle with thinking about how to form each and every letter, think about how to spell. By time I get to the end of a sentence I can no longer remember what I was writing. By typing I become more fluent. I also had "taking essay exams on a keyboard" as an accommodation in school. (All that and I can do wonderful calligraphy, sometimes I miss spell things and have to do it over again, but the letters look beautiful!)

- Note taking will be a challenge he should develop his own type of short hand. Also asking fellow students if you can copy their notes is possible.

For the Math:
- Math remediation for dyscalculia is not developed very well through out the country. However, I believe there are remedial math programs, I just don't know one because I never needed to. The IDA website (http://www.interdys.org/) probably has some information. At least a couple of years ago they devoted an entire issue of their magazine to math remediation. If he is tested and determined to have a learning disability some "reasonable accommodations" are allowed. In 9th grade they finally start doing the fun stuff algebra trig, & such. If he can get the accommodation of using a calculator on tests he might suddenly do much better.

For Spelling:
- I recommend a spell checker by Franklin. They are wonderful!!!!!! The best at finding word phonemically. I also recommend developing lots of friendships with people who can spell. I would never have graduated college without my best friend and roommate checking it.

I put several ideas on dyslexia and how to deal with it on the following website:
http://www.angelfire.com/md3/marf_glass/msiteOutline.html

Christy

pepperidge,

Dyscalculia (numeric dyslexia) is a possibility, but it is also possible that it could be due to working memory issues of executive functioning problems. At any rate, there's a program called Math-u-see that I think is excellent for teaching math concepts. It has workbooks and short dvd lessons. The program uses manipulatives to help students understand the concepts. Some kids will just have trouble remembering math facts no matter often you've practiced them, they just don't retain the facts. In such cases, there is something called "touch math" (google it and I am sure you will find something that explains how to use it) to help with adding and when multiplying it helps to remember what you know for shorter problems. (For example: 12 x 6 is the same as 12 x2 (3 times) or 24 + 24 + 24). For longer math problems, using a multiplication chart may be the best way to keep a kid from getting bogged down in the facts so that they can learn the procedure of how to multiply and divide larger numbers.