Early menopause for difficult child??

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Let me begin by saying that I don't *think* difficult child is entering an early menopause...but we are a bit concerned about some symptoms she's been having.

All of her symptoms are eerily similar to MINE, the person who *IS* actually going through meno...

For the past few months now she has been experiencing HOT FLASHES, NIGHT SWEATS, FOGGY THINKING, HEADACHES. She has had two doses of the depoprovera shot so far and she didn't notice but I did that some of these symptoms begane shortly thereafter. She decided to go back on the depo shot as a means to help control her horrible pmdd, because when she was 18, it worked so very well and she didn't have a period for over a year. This time around, she is not having the same results. Her pmdd is slightly better, but she is BPII so she will always have those cyclic mood swings. And this time around she is getting her period and it's a period from HELL. Most of all, she can't stand the constant sweatiness. She's always been a very hormonally reactive person...strong body odor, strong periods, strong pms, swollen breast and always felt when she was ovulating.

What kind of Dr do you see for hormonal stuff - an endrocronologist, right?? She is 23.5 and it seems like her body is messed up in other ways as well.

Thanks for any input.

buddy

Or....a combination of a virus with all the hormonal stuff? Life can't just be easy, can it? Poor kid!

slsh

member since 1999
Actually thyroid was my first thought. But yes, an endocrinologist would be the person to see. And perhaps a visit with OB/GYN to see what other options there are to help with- the PMDD. Poor kid - bad enough to have to go thru the symptoms once in our lives - the pits to have to do it twice!!

trinityroyal

I agree with Sue. An endocrinologist and an OB/GYN. If possible, an OB/GYN who specializes in reproductive hormones -- although they are rare birds and hard to find.

It's possible that the depo shot is messing around with difficult child's hormones. Sometimes when you go back on hormonal birth control after a break, your body goes crazy readjusting to the artificial hormones again. Some of her symptoms sound a bit like the ones that happen at the onset of fibroids. If she's developing those, best to get them under control now while she's young.

Hope everything gets sorted out and difficult child starts to feel better.

DDD

I'm wondering if her stress level might also be a factor with the upcoming wedding. The OB/GYN seems like the logical first stop. Fingers crossed that a solution is found soon. Hugs DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When she finds that OB... Have them also check... One of my close friends had similar issues and had endometriosis.

That said, I had similar issues in the late winter/early spring of 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. In 2010/11 I was on IVF medications and 2012 I was pregnant, but it was the same. It may NOT be hormonal.

busywend

Ugh! My reply just got trashed. Anyway, early menopause is no joke - risk of stroke and heart attacks sore with early menopause......so get this checked out ASAP! I suspect the depo shot myself. I hated that shot....messed up my hormones big time!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Whoa!

Time to get off the Depo-Provera (aka The Menopause Shot)...

Your daughter IS going through menopause - the kind induced by the injection. She needs to address her symptoms with her gyno and see whether she needs to make a change with her because method.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd be safe. A trip to gyno first, to positively rule out the shot as the cause (I hate that d@mn shot) and then the endocrinologist. Gyno can also make sure she has nothing else going on either, such as cysts, PID whatever.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I second the gyno and then the endocrinologist.

I was diagnosed with an early menopause at 21 by an endocrinologist. (Mine had nothing to do with a shot though.)