Earthquake 5.9 Washington Difficult Child area Members Check In Please!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
[h=6]5.9 earthquake struck at 1:51pm ET. The epicenter is located roughly 83 miles SW of Washington, Difficult Child and 41 miles NW of Richmond, VA. It's being felt up and down the East Coast.
about a minute ago

Comes from National weather service. Is now all over the news. One just hit Colorado as well. No news yet on that one.

Please check in board members and let us know you're ok. I know that 5.9 isn't huge, but that area's buildings aren't made for earthquakes.
[/h]

KTMom91

Here in CA, we're used to such things...I was stunned when I saw the news. Hope everyone on the East Coast and Colorado are safe.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have family members very near the epicenter. But thanks to fb they checked in pretty quickly and are shaken up pretty bad, but ok. So far they're not seeing any damage.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Not sure how it missed Lisa, but it was felt in Dayton, Fairborn, Xenia and Springfield OH.

Very mild here. Anxious to know if our board members are all OK. Please let us know!!!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm in Richmond, epicenter was just 40 miles from here so we got a good strong shaking. Seemed like it went on for a long while, but all fine in our old building downtown. No damage, we never left out building, but they did evacuate some of the taller buldings around us briefly. Phone service is spotty.. but internet is fine and my Facebook wall filled up with quake posts at lightning speed LOL. I imagine I'll see some things knocked over when I get home, and maybe freaked out kitty. Mostly just an unusual, exciting event to distract us temporarily from Irene's approach...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Didn't feel a thing. Nor did easy child. hmm And you're right, you'd think we'd have felt something.

I hope our board members in the area are ok.

My family, husband's bro & wife, their kids and grandkids are all right there.....just a few miles from the epicenter. They haven't noticed any damage, but it really shook them up......and their nerves are raw.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
A friend posted a picture of the "damage" - he's near Difficult Child in Virginia - his patio table fell over.

There was also a quake in CO this AM, near Denver - my grandparents live in Grand Junction but apparently are fine.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
This sums up nicely how most people are reacting to it, both here and Difficult Child (per my FB wall and the texts I'm getting, at least):

http://jmckinley.posterous.com/Difficult Child-earthquake-devastation

klmno

I was worried about difficult child but I was able to check in with staff and he's ok. I am some distance from the epicenter and was at work on the top floor of a 15 story building and the building shook a LOT. No damage or injuries to anyone though, TG! We did take off a bit early due to everyone being flustered over it- it wasn't the earthquake as much as the concern we could get stuck on a 15th floor if a building was failing.

tiredmommy

husband felt it in his home office here outside of Buffalo, NY. I believe Duckie and I were in the car when it happened so we felt nothing. The one in CO was late last evening, I believe, and centered 180 miles south of Denver, near the NM border.

Lothlorien

My house rocked back and forth. My parents live about 1/2 hour away, near the beach and just felt the house rattle. We have family in Brooklyn that said their house rocked too.

There's a giant fault line that runs up the east coast. I remember watching a news piece when I was in high school about it. The news guy said that it's only a matter of time for when we get hit with a serious earthquake. Hopefully this was as serious as it's going get. No damage here, just a lot of chatter about it. A few things almost fell off the shelves.

We now have a giant leak in the pool....can I claim that on my ins? It started today. Just kidding. This darn pool has been nothing but a giant pia all summer!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yep, we felt it in south-central PA. It was a first for most of my colleagues and they were pretty freaked because we had a few good shakes in our multi-story building.

They evacuated us and I was amazed at the number of people who ran into the elevator instead of taking the stairs. Fear superceded common sense.

Suz

TerryJ2

Yep. We got it. I blew off difficult child when he came upstairs and said, "Did you feel that? It felt like an earthquake." The boy who cried wolf, for sure.
Of course, I blamed it on the neighbors. You know, the ones who cut down our tree, dumped wheelbarrows of grass clippings in the ravine, and today, had a backhoe/tractor thing dumping dirt. I was actually on my way over there when my cell ph rang and husband said "Did you feel the earthquake?" He was at work. Yikes.
I stopped the tractor guy anyway and told him. He was shocked. He didn't feel anything, because his whole job is bumpy. :)

So, all summer we have swamp smoke. Then the earthquake. Now, a hurricane on its way.

I'm glad everyone is all right and that so many people here checked in.

DammitJanet

Jamie called to tell us about it and he was bummed because he was out in the truck so he didnt feel it...lol. Billie and the kids freaked out because she was freaking out. She kept telling Jamie it was hitting right under Alexandria Va which is about 15 miles from them. Not. It happened 41 miles nw of Richmond which is where I grew up. I immediately called my step-mom to see how she had fared and she answered the phone saying "Im okay!" lol....guess she is getting plenty of calls today.

She said it felt to her like another blasted big tree fell on the house. They have had awful luck with trees falling on the house any time a storm comes through. The last two hurricanes that went through VA took down major trees and ripped off their roof. She is worried this new one is gonna come through Richmond. I am too. I would hate for something else to happen to her this year. Her kids arent worth much so it would land on us to take care of things.

svengandhi

I was sitting at my desk in midtown Manhattan (6th floor in a 20+ story bldg) when I felt dizzy and like I was going to pass out. I was afraid I was having a stroke. The feeling passed and I went back to work. Then H called and said "Are you OK?" I said "Wow, you are attuned to my feelings! How did you know I wasn't feeling well?" and he said: "No, silly, are you OK from the earthquake?" It was strange - a few people in my office had the same dizzy feeling I did but many people didn't even notice it.

difficult child and PC15 were at a friend's house in the basement playing a loud video game in surround sound when the mom yelled down to them to stop rocking the house! difficult child said he then noticed that the house was shaking. When the mom realized it was an earthquake, she did the Roseanne Rosanna Danna "Never mind!"

My neighbor's 12 year old was home alone and he called his dad and said "The house is shaking and I didn't do it!"

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My neighbor's 12 year old was home alone and he called his dad and said "The house is shaking and I didn't do it!"

:rofl:

Ok, that's just adorable. LOL

So glad everyone is ok. :)

Still can't figure how neither easy child nor I felt it........husband or Travis either for that matter. I was busy cleaning though and tend to zone when I do that.