Easiest & most delicious cranberry orange chutney

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by hearts and roses, Nov 20, 2011.

1. hearts and roses

hearts and roses Mind Reader

3 cups fresh cranberries (one 12oz. Bag of fresh= 3 cups)
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup raisins
    1 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 Tbs orange zest
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cloves

In a large sauce pot stir together all ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until thickened.

Pour into hot sterilized canning jars, seal with sterile lids and rings. Place in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes, store in a cool dry place.

This is ready to eat right away so if you don't want to can it, you can store in fridge for about a week.

I tripled the batch and was able to make 9 pints! Instant holiday gifts! Yay! I also put up 4 jars of applesauce, yum, the chunky kind.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

It sounds awesome. I wonder if you could do it with lime or lemon? thank you can't have orange, but loves cranberry. It would make an awesome gift, in my opinion.
  3. hearts and roses

I think lemon would be delicious, maybe add just a touch more sugar to counter the tart?
  4. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Would you like my address? I think a jar would easily fit in my mailbox! :winks:
  5. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

How much brown sugar? It's listed as 2/4.
  6. LittleDudesMom

LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

I actually canned a pear chutney that sounds fairly similar - mine had whole mustard seeds and fresh grated ginger so it had a little more bite to it! Love chutneys....

7. hearts and roses

I fixed it, it's 3/4 cup.
  8. hearts and roses

I love pear anything! I make an awesome apple pear pie, it is sooooo delish!
  9. AnnieO

AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

...How do you guys keep the pears from going all mushy???

I make a cranberry-orange relish type stuff, but I think I just might have to try this one. Since I have NO IDEA what to give some people for Christmas!
  10. hearts and roses

Bosc and Anjou pears are best used for baking or cooking. They seem a bit stiff when putting into a pie, but will bake up tender, not mushy like the Bartletts.
  11. AnnieO

AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

LOL - I won't even eat Bartletts fresh. They seem mushy even when not ripe!
  12. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

My pear jam is mushy like applesauce but it is good. I just assumed it was supposed to be that way? My cherry jam was was thicker but still a spread.
  13. hearts and roses

You can make a pear butter just like you do apple butter!
  14. KTMom91

KTMom91 Well-Known Member

This sounds wonderful!