Easter Musings--menu, candy, eggs, plans...

SRL

Thursday I decided we needed something fun and interesting for (homeschool) science class so we experimented with natural egg dyes. Spinach, tumeric, green tea, blueberry, cherry juice, etc. It was very neat to see how they turned out, but the house didn't smell the best. :tongue: Plus I used every pot in the house and the electricity went down around clean-up time.

Yesterday I made hot cross buns, as is my tradition on Good Friday. I've really been off my bread baking game lately so I took extra care and tweaked the recipe a bit and they turned out wonderfully. Last night we dyed eggs the usual way, complete with teen boys rolling their eyes at having to participate in a family activity but forgetting themselves once they got going.

I'm not hosting this year, so I'll just be bringing homemade rolls and BBQ green beans to the family gathering. We'll be having a traditional ham dinner around midday--the menu doesn't change much from year to year.

Is it just my town or is Easter candy supply getting a little weird? Our stores don't have a lot on the shelves to begin with, and what's there is mostly the usual stuff (Snickers, M&M's, etc) packaged for Easter--hardly anything in the way of special Easter candy we used to look forward to as kids.

Major cleaning for me today!

What are your plans?

LittleDudesMom

So how did the naturally dyed eggs turn out? Were the colors any more brilliant or more muted? I think that's really interesting - well, not the power going down part.....

I am actually running out to get a few things for the baskets shortly. I haven't looked at the holiday candy selection this year, but I was going to hit Walgreens because they always seem to have a lot of stuff.

It's going to be quiet around here tomorrow - this will be the first year in years I haven't hosted an Easter Sunday gathering. Just wasn't up to it this year. So, it will be church in the morning then in the afternoon p.c. is coming for dinner (and a basket). We are having Sunday dinner around 4 and I am fixing a boneless leg of lamb, new potatoes, green beans (could you post that bbq green bean recipe - it sounds interesting), dinner roles and then a light variation on a choc cherry cake. I have set the dining room with the china, crystal, and silver for just three of us! easy child will spend the night since her first class Monday is not until 4. A quiet holiday.

Sharon

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't celebrate Easter. (I'm not Christian), but I LOVE a good ham. Unfortunately, living alone as I do, even a half ham is out of the question. Used to be you could get smoked butts or "daisy" hams from the front end of the pig.

I haven't even seen the ham slices this year up where I live. I can get a couple of good meals out of a single ham slice. We also see very little lamb up here. Guess it's a case of what sells and the stores (obviously) carry what does.

SRL

Sharon, the egg colors were muted tones. Tumeric was brighter than the others and both tumeric and coffee colored eggs were absolutely lovely shades.

I haven't seen the ham slices in awhile either.

Here's the recipe--I usually do it on low in the slow cooker to free up the oven.

BBQ Baked Green Beans

2 – 16 ounce cans green beans, drained
3 slices bacon, diced
½ onion, chopped
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup catsup

Fry bacon and onion in a skillet until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to an ungreased baking dish. Mix catsup and brown sugar then fold gently into beans. Cover and bake at 250 degrees for 3 hours.

LittleDudesMom

Thanks for the recipe - I bought fresh green beans yesterday, which I'm sure you could sub, but the bold flavors of this recipe would probably fight with my lamb. I will definately keep it for the future - sounds great. Kinda like a calico bean recipe I do for summer cookouts - three kinds of canned beans, hamburger, bacon, vinegar, brown sugar, catsup and dry mustard.

My leg of lamb (a small boneless one) is marinating in the fridge as we speak. The marinade is fresh rosemary, honey, dijon mustard, fresh ground pepper, lemon zest, minced garlic, and balsamic vinegar. Don't think the bbq beans will go with that, but I think I'll try them this week. Might get difficult child to eat some greens!

Sharon

SRL

Yeah, I don't think it would be the best with the lamb. The lady who gave me the recipe said it works best with plain ol' canned beans so save the fresh ones.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband and I will be going over to easy child's in a couple of hours for our Easter dinner. (she works tomorrow) She's planning an egg hunt for the grands and most likely the menu is the same as it is every year. We don't vary it much. Ham, augratin potatoes, broccoli casarrole, shrimp cocktail........and some sort of desert.

I'm contributing nothing as I'm currently doing my best "old mother Hubbard's cupboard" routine. Plus I'm studying pharm for an exam on monday and I'll be sitting with the boys tomorrow.

But right now the wind is horrific (we have 2 trees out front popping like mad) and it's supposed to rain later.

KTMom91

I made several batches of hot cross buns on Thursday. Went to a Good Friday service yesterday, and since Hubby's working the service I'll probably go to church tonight. My mom decided to cook Easter lunch, so we'll be going over there tomorrow.

I'd like to go to a sunrise service...I've never been to one. Just don't know if I can get up that early...

tiredmommy

We'll have church with-a potluck and games for the kids to follow. Then we'll have a ham dinner tomorrow evening. :)

klmno

I never did a traditional Easter dinner in the truest sense, although we normally had chicken and shrimp shish-k-bobs. We aren't doing that this year- I bought stuff for bbq ribs dinner and stir fry with salad so it will be a toss up which one we do tomorrow. Tonight is leftover liver/onions, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, and rolls. Nothing fancy but healthy and edible which is all I care about these days. I'm certain I will have some religious moments this weekend though- and I don't mean that in a sacreligious way.

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh yeah, I'm doing baskets - the grocery bag full of goodies is on the counter!

Church in the AM, followed by a hike or walk or something like that. Then an early dinner and homework.

We're having a pork loin roast with roasted root veggies and smashed potatoes.

difficult child and I are dyeing eggs (and maybe H will do one) tonight. We have a kit, Paas, my favorite. We did the homegrown colors once and I found it to bee too much work, but it was fun at the time (the girlies were little then and we always did stuff like that).

I'm tired of holidays.

susiestar

Roll With It
We are going a bit less traditional this year. The home and garden show was today. I had a migraine born of not being able to sleep for the past 4 nights so I was in bed all day. barely functioning now. husband and I already decided not to do our traditional family basket. we used to do a basket for all the family combined (saved the she got 3 more red jelly beans than I did arguments). We will go pick up a couple of items and a movie for each kid, probably a cheap one. THen we will do church in the am, and go to my parents at about 4 to do an egg hunt (gma's idea), dinner with both ham and turkey as both are on sale here, and assorted other items. We will also celebrate my dad's birthday with a cake and ice cream.

Happy Easter/Happy Spring to all!

crazymama30

Not sure if I have to work tommorrow, probably will so husband will do the easter stuff. We are dyeing eggs tonight, difficult child says it is too kiddish so not sure if he will do any. husband got some sort of camo egg dye, should be interesting.

Dinner?? I have no idea. It will depend on if I work tommorrow. We could end up having pork chops.

klmno

Pork chops are good!! At this point, I just hope everyone has a meal to eat with their family and I wish everyone a peaceful, relaxing day, no-drama type of day!

Marguerite

On the home-made natural dyes - have you tried black rice? I've found that stuff stains purple, everything I cook it in. It's a lovely colour. If you want it redder, add something acidic (like vinegar) to the liquid. You could cook the rice (it takes about three times as long to cook) then drain off the liquid and just use that. That way you can still eat the rice, AND colour whatever you want to. I believe black rice (aka royal rice) is Japanese in origin but the Thais claim it as their own.

Our Easter - we had a Good Friday service which was begun in the car park and then we wound our way into the building, a sort of understated series of reflections rather than a traditional "stations of the cross". Then afterwards we had hot cross buns with tea and coffee on the church veranda which overlooks the ocean.

Today (Easter Sunday) was a combined churches sunrise service held on our church's lawn. That way the chairs were on the grass and not on the sand. Most people arrived by walking along the beach. We snuck in the back way because I had to bring the annual candle and sneak it in. I make the candle every year from wax melted down from previous years plus a candle donated from every church family (or friend passing through). Then I decorate the candle (currently using glass paint to decorate it) and it is installed on Easter Sunday every year, to be lit every Sunday during church until we make the new one the following year.

This morning's service was lovely, although it was a bit cool. We could see a person swimming laps of the beach with other people walking their dogs, even though it was still dark when we assembled. There would have been about 150 people there, the chairs were put out for people to sit on.
After the service the hot cross buns were brought out and people mingled for another hour or so. We have some tourists in town so we chatted to them also. Then we had our own smaller, more impromptu service to instal the candle and have communion. Very brief, nothing formal planned. Because it was unplanned, there was no bread for communion - we used hot cross buns! Unusual...

I had trouble with the candle when it came to painting it - I couldn't find my stash of glass paint, so by 3 pm yesterday I headed out to the shops (about 40 minutes away by car) to buy more. I got busy painting as soon as I got home but this stuff takes time to dry. As a result, this morning I smudged it a little and so I just went back down to the church to repaint the bits that got smudged. A lady form church this morning said she had glass paint I could have borrowed, so I did - and because she had a couple of colours I hadn't been able to get, I've been able to add a bit more detail that I wanted. It was lovely painting out on the church veranda, there are some visitors currently in residence there so we always check in with people when we drop in during the week. They were cooking their lunch so I painted outside so the turps wouldn't bother them. It didn't take me long.

There is a village fair in town this morning, our monthly one that coincides with our monthly artists in residence public day. I had a look as I went past, it's lovely to know so many people and be able to chat and relax with them. It's still fairly early here (just after 1 pm) so I'm going to go visit our neighbouring artists and see what they're up to.

This afternoon and this evening the kids are coming round - difficult child 1 & daughter in law, and easy child 2/difficult child 2 and SIL2. We're having a roast chicken dinner at mother in law's place, with more hot cross buns afterwards (the church over-ordered and sent us home with some).

Down at the fair just now I bumped into our resident opera singer who is organising a family concert in a fortnight. While I'm out seeing the local galleries, I'll drop in a cheque for the upcoming concert.

The morning was chill (but probably not by your standards) but right now it's absolutely beautiful mild autumn weather, 19C (66 F). Even though it rained this morning (but thankfully not on our outdoor service) the sun is warm and bright. That is the pattern for our weather at the moment, which is lovely - no need to water the gardens. We've got it so good because we're so close to the coast. Inland it's drier and people are still having to water gardens. But all those floods in Queensland a few weeks ago are flowing down stream to fill the Darling and the Murray, so Aussie farmers are very happy. There won't be much of the flood left by the time it reaches the mouth of the Murray! But the centre of Australia is partly underwater and mostly in flower - Lake Eyre is in flood again, a very rare occurrence. And down south with easy child & SIL1 - Lake George north of Canberra has water in it again! So even though we're coming in to cooler, more dormant weather here in Australia, we still have new growth and new life associated with our Easter.

Enjoy your day. I am so glad that this year we once again coincide with Passover and Orthodox Easter.

Marg

M

ML

I'm doing a brunch. The only guests are step sons and ex husband. I know, my life is very strange lol. My mom and brother celebrate with mom's husband's family. We are having waffles, fresh fruit, bacon, eggs and juice.

A few years ago we switched from easter candy to easter present due to our constant sugar battles but this year I went soft and we got some cadberry eggs and chocolate bunnies. I agree with you SRL, we couldn't find special easter candy either.

Happy Easter Everyone!