easy child 2 got her first deer today!

susiestar

Roll With It
VERY COOL!!! You will have plenty of meat throughout the winter. I hope you have an extra freezer! My sister in law on husband's side spends Thanksgiving at her husband's parents. The menfolk go out huntin' and the wimmenfolk stay home and cook. About 2 or 3 years ago they started letting my sister in law bring a dish. It took all these years for her to find something she actually COULD cook - NO JOKE! It is quite the family joke, that she would go hunting with the men but the only thing scarier than the thought of her cooking is the thought of her with a gun!

Seh is a sweetie, but not very domesticated.

I am glad your easy child 2 will be able to help feed herself in any situation, and is a good shot.

I miss my man.

But my aim is getting better!

That won't be easy child 2's song, and the menfolk better behave, hadn't they? JUST KIDDING, I know you wouldn't let her shoot if she wasn't safe.

I think it is awesome that she is learning that skill.

Marguerite

I'm not a fan of hunting either, but the deer round our way are feral and need to be removed. You're welcome to come try your luck. Only problem - you cant use firearms in a national park (and the village is surrounded by national park). All animals and plants are protected in a national park. You cant fire weapons down the street.

So you would have to (as I see it) wait until the deer come into the village (herds of 30+, every night) then tackle one to the ground lion-fashion. Just make sure you don't break any animal cruelty laws or the RSPCA will be after you.

So if you can get around that - we have plenty of deer here for you. They might be bigger than yours - ours are Javanese Rusa.

In the meantime - congrats to easy child. Now she has to learn to skin it, gut it and cook it. Tan the hides, too. I remember reading books about how to set traps, hunt, tan hides etc using everything from the environment. There is a recipe for tanning solution using bark from some of our native trees.

Marg

Marg