easy child got her temporary license today

TerryJ2

...and I told her she could take my car (my sweet, darling, perfect little baby Prius) to the grocery store to get Haagen Dazs choc choc chip ice cream. In the dark.
Meanwhile, I'm thinking about a glass of wine (for myself, that is). Or Xanax.

4sumrzn

Oh gosh....I'm NOT looking forward to the day easy child gets his. I know he's only 13, but time flies by so fast! I'll need more than a glass of wine for that day! Hope it all went well & the ice cream was yummy!

TerryJ2

It went fine, except she forgot half the things on the list and ended up with-some kind of raspberry choc chip. Whatever.
Later, she asked, rather nonchalantly, "When you have a green arrow, it means you have the right-of-way to turn left, correct?"
"Yes. Why?"
"Well, I had the green arrow to turn into the grocery store pkng lot and there was an oncoming car and he just laid on the horn and went straight through and I had to speed up to get into the pkng lot."
Arrrrgh! I told her that he had a red light (I know exactly which store and which intersection) and asked if she was sure he was honking at her.
Yup.
Well, nothing happened. Really.

KTMom91

I wish you the best...Miss KT got her license two months ago, and so far has hit a fence and a concrete barrier at the gas station. This is why I like her driving the truck...good old solid Detroit steel. My cute little red Coke can would have been toast. Fingers crossed...

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm waving my pine tree air freshener all over for good luck!!!!!

-Congratulations - on the xanax, wine and raspberry ice cream!

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Very nervous time when they start to drive. easy child started this year and I was a wreck. Where we live in Vegas you most often have to take the highway to get anywhere. I was SOOO nervous, but he seems to be doing well with it.

Good luck!

Abbey

Mom2oddson

I don't know if we ever stop worring about then driving.

Even though my easy child is turning 18, I'm SO glad he's decided to leave his truck at home when he goes to college. He's going to college in Minnesota, with real snow and ice. I was turning gray at the thought of him driving in snow. It's the only good thing to come out of the rising gas prices.

Good luck.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Congrats to easy child! I'm not looking forward to either of my kiddos getting a driver's license.

I think that worse than worrying about the kids' driving, is worrying about everyone else on the road.

When I got my license (a thousand years ago) there was no road rage like there is now. And I swear I didn't look as young as 16 year olds do now... ;)

Nancy

Is she allowed to drive by herself with her temp or do you have to be with her? In Ohio must have your parent or legal guardian in the car with you until you get your permanent license.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm with BBK. I worry more about the other people on the road than my kids. sister in law taught easy child to drive (and he's excellent behind the wheel) and boyfriend's Dad taught Nichole.

I did worry about easy child when she was working 40 hrs a week, going to school full time and spending hours on the highway everday exhausted. I'm so glad she doesn't have to do that anymore.

Congrats to easy child, though! I bet she's excited.

Hugs

mom_to_3

I taught my youngest two to drive. O. M. G.!!!!!! :highvoltage: I felt like this every time we got in the car. They really weren't terribly, terribly bad, but MAN, I just don't have the nerves for this kind of stuff anymore. I can remember having to remind my middle daughter that pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way. Don't drive right on top of HUMANS in a parking lot. You can actually brake BEFORE you need to stop. So far, we're all alive, including the other people they pass each day.

TerryJ2

Yes, she can drive alone. I think that's why she has to wait 2 wks to go to court to get the actual license ... just to make sure teens can handle those 2 wks by themselves.
Running over humans? LOL momto3!
easy child got yelled at by her driving instructor last wk for slowing down for a bird.

Terry,

Just thinking about difficult child 1 driving can almost make me break out in hives, lol!!! difficult child 1 has finished the written part of his driving instruction and passed. He didn't want to start the actual road instruction. husband and I were baffled. For the longest time, all he could talk about was getting his license.

Well, we finally figured it out. He doesn't want to lose one precious minute of his gaming time:angry-very:. Even though we're upset because we know he needs to learn to drive prior to moving out, at least I'm not covered in hives and totally wasted, lol!!! Believe me, one glass of wine would be like one grain of sand is to the entire beach... It wouldn't even make a dent in my anxiety level!!!

I'm a chocoholic from way back... I would have had a fit if difficult child 1 brought home raspberry choc chip instead. However, I still would have indulged big time!!! I'm sure once difficult child 1 is driving, my emotional eating will go through the roof!!!

Keep us updated on your easy child's progress. I'll be thinking about you...WFEN

TerryJ2

He doesn't want to lose one precious minute of his gaming time

OMG, WFEN! Amazing.

Update:
She got home an hr ago (12:45 a.m. grrrrrr--curfew of 11) and I have a roaring headache and can't sleep. (Okay, some of it is PMS but she didn't help it.) I was very calm when she came home. She said she fell asleep on the couch (she went to a friend's house, made cupcakes and watched a movie) and she was very apologetic. I was very calm and said, "Not a problem. Don't forget there are consequences."
She looked very said and said "I know," and gave me a hug and apologized for making me worry.
Now ... I just have to decide what kind of consequences. Grounding her from her friends' I would think.
And taking difficult child to his game tomorrow so I can sleep late. :)
And picking me up a chai from Starbucks with-her own $.
husband is very sick with-a bad cold and sinus infection. He went to bed very early and slept through the whole thing. That's why having 2 parents is so good ... we can tag team. Next time, I sleep and he can wait up. :laugh: