easy child's first date!

trinityroyal

Oh my word! My easy child, who just turned 11 -- yes 11 -- last week, has his first date scheduled in January. I am flabbergasted, but also excited for him.
I promised him I wouldn't do anything embarrassing, but I'm just BUSTING with it, so here I am in the only safe place I can talk about this without mortifying my darling easy child.

He is the most precious boy. He likes a girl in his class at school, and found out that she's had a crush on him since the beginning of the school year. He asked my permission to ask her out on a date, and I said he could. We've already talked about the "birds and bees", and he thinks it's all a bit icky, so I'm not too worried about inappropriate physical stuff yet -- though I'm keeping a very watchful mommy eye. This time, The Talk focused on the fragility of hearts, and the importance of being kind and gentle.

And, she said yes! I met N when I picked easy child up from school last Friday. She's very pretty, very sweet and a little bit shy. And she clearly has a whopper of a crush on easy child. Goodness! I can't believe my little baby boy has reached this stage already. Honestly, I shouldn't be surprised, but golly, I just wasn't ready for it.

He's taking her to the movies, and has set aside enough money to pay for the tickets, popcorn and drinks.

I just think it's the most adorable thing ever. Now, if he were my difficult child I'd be scared to death. I've only ever been through the dating years with difficult child so far. This feels so much different. MUCH more calm and sweet, much less fear of a surprise grandchild.

Eeeeee! This is very exciting. And terrifying. And so darn cute! There. I think I've gotten all the Embarrassing Mom stuff out of my system for the moment.

trinityroyal

And yes, they WILL be chaperoned. Just because he's a easy child doesn't mean I'm letting him ALL the way off the leash. Especially not at 11. With an 11 year old girl as his date.

DammitJanet

This is adorable! I remember the first boy/girl date I had was at that age too. I little boy in my 5th grade class invited me to the dollar matinee and we had popcorn and soda. LOL. I think we saw one of the Herbie the Love bug movies.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Trinity, I am smiling from ear to ear, I just loved reading this, all the sweet memories of those early crushes, the ones you remember your whole life..........after his 'date' let us know how it all went...............and get all the details!