easy child's friend in horrid accident

TerryJ2

2 wks ago, easy child called me as I was dropping off difficult child at football practice, and told me that a friend of hers, A, was in a horrid accident, wrapped his car around a tree at 100 mph ...
"At 5 a.m., and it burst into flames? On the corner of X &Y?"
"How did you know that?"
"Because it was in the paper, and online, and there was a film of the fire."
She said he was in a coma.
I nearly had a heart attack.
We've known this family since the kids were little. They attended the same elementary school.
I immediately called the hospital and was surprised to be connected to A's room. I was even more surprised that a classmate answered and told me he was in surgery.
That was GREAT news!
The other passenger was in a coma, with-a huge gash across his forehead, broken arm, 2 broken legs, and a broken pelvis. He was not wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from the car.
Good thing, since it burst into flames.
If people hadn't awakened from the crash and pulled out A, he would have burned to death. He owes those strangers, bigtime.
As it was, one of his forearms was badly burned, and his shoes melted onto the soles of his feet.

I visited him the next day, and brought balloons. The room was jam-packed with-HS grads all getting ready to leave for college. He won't be going for at least 6 mo's, and his friend, B, who is now awake and out of ICU, won't be able to walk for at least a yr, if ever.

The next night I brought sandwiches and fresh fruit, but by that time, most of the friends had cleared out.

Today I called their synagogue and was surprised that they do not have a hospitality committee or sunshine committee to do meals or flowers. I left my name and #. (Guess who's going to get hit with-that task, even though she's not a member?;):sick:)

Not a day goes by that I don't think about the accident. It just hits too close to home. Not that easy child would be racing around the neighborhood at 5 a.m. (turns out they were at a party) but she could get in the car with-someone who is ready to race.
A was homecoming king, an honor student, in lots of clubs, just the neatest person ever.
Just because you're book smart doesn't give you common sense. :(

His poor parents are so shaken up. His dad was pale and jumpy, and his mom was hugging everyone and crying.

I didn't post about it b4 ... I was still in the middle of making sandwiches for him, then taking difficult child to his football practices and games, and taking easy child to college. The last 2 wks have been crazy.

But at least easy child and difficult child are safe right now. Scary stuff.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's sad and frightening how young adults feel they are invincible. Boys especially. easy child's friend is so very lucky to be alive. His parents must be going through he11 right now...

My jr. year in HS I lost a friend because he was hit by another car that was racing... he was actually on his way home from the Homecoming Dance and was NOT racing.

The street racing is just as bad as drunk driving. There is often more than one victim...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
These things are so scary. I am so glad he lived.
I too lost many friends to reckless in High School.
You are such a kind person... we all know how good the hospital food is. BLECK!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I am so glad to read that someone elses son survived a fiery crash like that this year. I can tell you all too personally that they do think they are invincible. Please when you see him, give him an extra hug from a Mom who lost her 'other' son and tell him how lucky they are to have their lives. I hope they kept those tennis shoes and show them to the other invincibles....We each have a small piece of Steven's car the size of a finger to remind each of us that we are that fragile.

Rejoicing in the fact that you are able to hold them today!! :D

You're a good Mom Terry! They are lucky to have you. :redface:

DammitJanet

Back in high school I wrote a paper about how kids think nothing will happen to them. I wish I had kept it. I started it off in the conversational tone of a bunch of kids just talking excitedly about the friday night coming up then it went into facts...the ending went into more conversational as they met at school on Monday and found out a friend had died that weekend due to drunk driving.

mstang67chic

Going Green
So glad A lived. A long recovery is still just that....a recovery. Much better than the alternative.

One thing I don't think kids realize is that when they say/think that bad things only happen to other people, to strangers, they ARE the other people.

That's so nice of you to help them out. So many times people don't think to do things like that even for friends. Hugs to all of you and A and his family.

TerryJ2

Thank you all.
I'm still bothered by this, so I think that bringing them food, etc. is as much for me as it is for them. Sigh.