easy child's moving on sat.

Marguerite

Go make a big bowl of popcorn and put on "It's a Wonderful Life" or similar. Movies like that have a reason for being. Of if you can't handle that, try "Arsenic and Old Lace." One or the other will fit your mood!

Marg

Jena

husband spoke to her and came out shaking his head. he said he hugged her a few times, he told her he loves her. he said listen mom's not caving it's either you follow the rules or you have to go. he said we can't live in this craziness like this it's not healthy for anyone.

he said she had it all figured out supposedly shes' been talking to ppl her friends that think they have all the answers. he's affected by it and said i hate she's doing this it's such a huge mistake. he talked her into finishing high school which i had told him keep it short and sweet yet he was in there for a half hour.

overall hard on all to watch a kid whose really hurting and running from her problems the way she is thinking that'll solve it. difficult child is terribly affected now was up till 3 last night i was up till 4 with my chest hurting than finally caved and popped a xanax. i have irregular heartbeat thing so when im stressed it gets bad. it just speeds up and lasts for a few seconds yet it's scary. so at 4 he got up and said here's the xanax take it.

i may need a daily medication we'll see how i fair on sat. and than when it follows and adjusting to it, trying not to worry about her and releasing.

i feel bad for difficult child she's hurting bad also. she asked easy child can we have one sleepover before you leave and easy child said i cant i'm busy. easy child thought she was going to come by each week and pick up difficult child with her friends and in their car. the one who just got into a car accident two weeks ago husband and i told her no i'm sorry difficult child can't be in your friends cars. if you want to see her it'llhave to be here.

so round and round we go. i woke up late difficult child's still sleeping. i guess its' going to take time. she's taking her bed also and most of her furniture she's decided. we are letting her husband said we wont' use it what's the point.

thing is shes on our cell phone plan now and he has to keep paying it for another year till we have to renew it. he wants to provide her with a phone doesn't like the idea we can't get in touch with her. i said i dont' know im on teh fence doesnt' that go against the whole make this as hard as possible.

P

PatriotsGirl

I still pay for difficult child's cellphone because it is the only communication I have and the only way I know she is alive. It's more for me, than her...husband knows this and so he doesn't bring up shutting it off anymore.

I WISH my difficult child had a place to take her stuff! I have to go up there and box it all up and get as much into the attic as I can. No clue what I am going to do with her bed...it's too new and pricey to just toss. :(

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My easy child 1 is still on our cell plan, he just pays us each month for his bill. Not that its ever been a problem, but if he didn't, I can have the phone shut off without paying early termination as long as I pay the monthly as if the phone were still being used. It doesn't have to be operational. Report the phone lost or stolen to the company deactivates it, and just don't replace it.

Jena

thanks. i was leaning towards supplying her with one. i'll tell husband to order one. she'll just have to get it next week. thank you for all the support i mean it. this is a big one for me, and my family besides husband provides none which is fine, yet you guys being there means alot!! i had a rough night last night yet today i'm feeling better, less upset more focused.

difficult child have her therapy than she's doing a volunteer thing for local animal shelter.

Marguerite

i said i dont' know im on teh fence doesnt' that go against the whole make this as hard as possible.

Jena, the point here is NOT to make it difficult for her, but simply to not enable her. There is a huge difference. You gave her two choices. She has taken one of those choices. You now need to follow through as a parent. You have already done this by saying, "We will keep paying for your therapy," even though you suspect she will try to skip out on therapy. Her choice. She is moving - her choice. But it was an option you gave her (because she was going to take it anyway - smart move on your part).

So don't make this any harder tan it has to be, for you or for her. Insist on your rules as is your right, but otherwise - smile. Give her a hug goodbye. NEVER let the sun go down on your anger, as my elderly aunt used to say.

husband & I never leave without a kiss goodbye and a hug. Even if one of us is just going down to the local shop. Because you never know when it might be for the last time. And also because it's what we do to show our connection.

So don't put unnecessary obstacles in her way. Just the logical ones. There will be more than enough of those!

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Well put, Marg. I wasn't sure how to say it. Also, by trying to make it harder, in a way, you're still trying to achieve a certain outcome...you need to just let go.

difficult child 1 didn't leave under quite the same circumstances, but it was about the same attitude and setting. I don't know your religious viewpoint and don't wish to offend, but you just have to "give it to God" or whatever you need to do to put it out of your hands in your own mind. Let the chips fall where they may. Its harder than hades. you can do it.

Jena

hi

i'm not getting the cell thing i'm trying i really am to hear your words etc.

thing is i'm not doing it to achieve an outcome i'm doing it because i still feel walked on by doing that. therapy is one thing, yet this isnt' a girl whose going onff on her own with a friend to a shared apt. this is amessed up kid being taken into a huge house by the way like a mansion drove by it today by some screwball mom. why should we pay her cell bill?

it doesnt' make sense. i said ok to all the furniture etc. yet she's even giong away on vacation with these ppl i've come to learn. so if the grass is greener for her on another end and with a mom raising a 20 year old alone and letting her 20 year old do what she wants. afterall she is 20 than why should i provide her means for communication?

therapy is a whole diff story. she asked if i'd pay i said yes. i will even provide her with health insurance we're reapplying again. yet not a cell phone. i mean come on she isn't a well girl going off on her own that i'd visit cook her dinners on occassion buy her some kitchen towels offer to help her paint. it's a sick kid who doesn't want to obide by our rules has lied cheated stolen from us etc. and being taken in by someone else. it isnt' about making it harder it's about right and wrong.

ill do the health end that's my obligation till 21 i am now realizing i'll do that. yet that's it. no money handed, door open policy here. no.

Marguerite

I wrote a long post then my computer got hung. So I will be briefer now.

Jena - I know she's a very sick girl but while she is in denial, nothing will happen. She is going to have to face herself, face life on her own, before she realises that she needs to get help. And if this place seems like Disneyland to her - perhaps that is going to work out even better. She will go in starry-eyed, but nobody will put up with her crud for long. She will either find herself behaving better for fear of losing the nice place she is in (from hr point of view) or she will get back into bad habits and find them NOT so happy with her. She will not be able to keep telling herself, "They are no better than my mother," because she is painting such a rosy picture for herself.

Basically - if it works (a miracle) it will be because she learns to pull her weight and follow house rules. Because the most lax household still has some house rules, such as "No leaving rotting food in the middle of the living room floor". If it doesn't work, she will no longer be able to blame you for her misfortunes.

Living with other people requires compromise and social effort. One way or another, she is about to learn this.

So she thinks the place is wonderful? Remember what Erma Bombeck said - "the grass is greener over the septic tank".

I personally don't think taking lots of her stuff is a good idea, but in your shoes I would let her too. But it will make it a lot more difficult for her to move from place to place. She will find out the hard way...

I remember at one time, I lived in about six different places in six months. I had to travel light but I also during that time had to buy a bed (cheap, second-hand). Before I bought the bed I'd actually dragged a mattress in off someone's rubbish heap. it was better than sleeping on floorboards. husband was on the scene for me at the time, just moving out of home himself. At the end of the six months we were engaged and sharing a place with the guy who would be our best man. I was 20. Also very sick - physically. With my first lot of PTSD to add to it.

I grew up a lot, only after I left home. Each time I changed addresses I had new house rules. Sometimes the rules would change without notice, such as the time one flatmate told me that it was my job to clean the bathroom because the type of mould in there only grew in the presence of women. His new girlfriend had told him tis (although she somehow was not on the bathroom cleaning roster!). Then the flatmate's girlfriend wanted me to pay extra for "wear and tear on the kitchen appliances". I moved out.

Trust me - Disneyland or not, she is in for a huge wake-up call. meanwhile, you can sleep in.

Oh, and the phone - I hadn't commented, because our system is different to yours. It's your choice, but whatever is done, do make sure she does not have access to an unlimited phone account. At most, I would give her a small amount on a pre-paid phone only. Up to her then, to keep it topped up. That way she can always make emergency calls, or receive calls, if she runs out of credit. But under no circumstances should she be on your account, unless you can get that account capped. It's too easy to max out your account by letting friends use it, or calling expensive numbers. Either by carelessness or malice, don't leave your account vulnerable. Pass this on to husband. He wants to help, but he must not enable. It's OK to slip her a little phone money (as phone credit - we have phone recharge cards here). But she has chosen this path, needs to be allowed to make her own mistakes. Sadly.

Marg

Jena

that's exactly what i've been saying in my head. we won't be slipping her money either. if she wants to do this than she's going to do it all the way. its' that simple in my eyes. i'Tourette's Syndrome not about wanting a certain outcome it's about reality. she needs a strong reality check and i won't be the enabler anymore.

she'll have to get a job buy her own pre paid phone or ask the mom who decided to take her on get her one. oh sheesh marg i know i sound wild at times yet i'm soo not a confrontational person yet i pray i do not run across thsi mother in the street or neighborhood i may just clock her one.

truly. to allow this child to sleep in return at 5 a.m. not attend school. words cannot express the amt of anger inside of me over this. it's good therapy for me regarding this issue begins on monday i have alot of junk over this. i just need to vent it out a bit, clean it up do the work.