Eating disorder relapse

smallworld

I haven't been posting because we're vacationing in St. John to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary. Unfortunately, M took the opportunity to relapse with her eating disorder.

Right after school ended in mid-June, two psychiatrists recommended lowering her Zyprexa from 5 mg to 2.5 mg. The goal was to get her off of it entirely and just have her on Prozac. All of July we noticed more emotional reactivity and "stuck" thinking. About a week ago, she started complaining about "queasiness" and not being able to eat. That's exactly how her eating disorder started last summer.

On Saturday, the day we flew to St. John, M was very anxious on the plane, complained about "feeling bad" and a "lump in her throat," and ate virtually nothing all day. I couldn't even get Prozac into her. The same thing on Sunday. Monday morning first thing I dialed M's psychiatrist on her cell phone and reached her. She recommended upping the Zyprexa to 7.5 mg to see if we can get M to eat and drink.

So far the increased medications are helping, but it's still an all-day project to get food and liquids into her. At this point, we're just trying to keep her stable enough to get home and seek further treatment there.

I did some research, and it turns out Zyprexa has been a helpful medication for treating straight anorexia (which M does not have) because it makes patients hungry and alleviates distorted thinking. It turns out Prozac is not helpful for treating anorexia. Our little medication change experiment this summer may bear that theory out as well.

M and I have barely stepped foot on the beach, and given all that's going on with M, it's hard to enjoy the beautiful surroundings here in St. John. I'm just hoping we make it back home in one piece on Saturday.

Alisonlg

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this! I will be thinking of you guys and hope you make it home safely and that the increased Zyprexa helps aid you in that process. :::hugs:::

Steely

Ohhh........I am SO sorry........it must be horrible to there, with such a sick child. Can hubby take any of the load once in a while so you can at least wiggle your toes in the sand? I will be thinking of you, and hoping you have a safe trip back. Keep us posted on how it goes when you get back from vaca.

jannie

trying to survive....
I am so sorry to hear about this relapse. I'm glad you were able to increase the medications right away--I hope things improve quickly and that you have some time to enjoy on the beach--

Sending hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling while you are out of town. We did this once ourselves. It's difficult to enjoy yourself yet you don't want to ruin it for everyone. Watching your child struggling and being away from all that is familiar is pretty frightening.
Hang in there. Hugs.

Janna

Smallworld,

I'm really sorry. I know this is hard for you, especially having the 2 difficult child's on top of it.

I think it's great M is lucky enough to have a mom that is researching everything for her, though. It's good you're finding out all you can about the medications and watching her so closely. You're a good mom.

I hope you are able to make it through the trip. Can you at least give her liquids, smoothies, things like that, or Jello? No nutrional value, I know, but at least it's something.

Sending gentle hugs,

Janna

busywend

Hang in there. You will be home soon and then can take care of the eating issues. For now just take care of both of you. Perhaps you can talk her into a jacuzzi soak or something to relax?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hated reading this... I can't imagine how hard this must be on you and her. I am hoping you can get her stable again. Especially before school starts. Give M some love form her Aunties her. I hope you at least got a little bit of a rest...

So sorry.

smallworld

UPDATE

Thanks for all your positive thoughts. The increased Zyprexa is making a difference. Each day is a little better than the last. M is now eating crackers, cereal and ice cream and drinking Gatorade so that is a start. While Zyprexa is a fast-acting medication, M's psychiatrist says a steady blood level is reached at 5 to 7 days. So we still have room for improvement.

The bad news is that Hurricane Dean is heading this way, and we may need to evacuate St. John tomorrow morning. There's a chance our flight to Difficult Child on Saturday may not take off. It feels as if this vacation has been doomed from the start . . . I can't wait to get home.

Sheila

Very good news about the positive effects of the medication adjustment.

Two thumbs down on Dean. Sounds like it could get nasty. It's over-riding the news here with-Erin just having moved into the coast.....

Sorry your vacation isn't going better. Disappointing, I know. Hope you make your flight out without a hitch.