Eating........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So I'm into a week with the dentures.......... (if I'm boring you or it's too much information let me know)

I can honestly say they don't feel so foreign in my mouth now except when I first put them in.....by the end of the day I hardly notice them at all. Speech is improving quite a bit. I've talked to many people on the phone and in person who didn't realize I had the dentures in. So guess that is a good sign. Seems I hear most of the speech mistakes/odd sounds more than other people do.

Eating? :rofl:

Yesterday I was to start eating soft food. Ok, fine. Small bites. Ok. So I decide on spinach souffle as honestly you don't even have to chew it if you don't want to. I'm thinking I'm soooooo smart. Spinach is much more interesting than mashed potatoes.

I take a small bite. Then discover immediately I've no clue what to do with my mouth. A really weird, sort of disturbing, feeling when you've spent 46 yrs eating without thinking much about it. The small bite I took felt enormous inside my mouth. So I use the roof of my mouth and tongue to move it back where I can swallow it. Next bite was even smaller due to that "enormous" feeling. Yeah, still felt huge. Did the same thing. Kept right on going. Discovered that "small bites" means teeny weeny bites for me at least. lol

Didn't chew a bit. But not choking on the food was a good start in my opinion. By the time I was finished it wasn't so bad.

I've found a trick to making sure the lower is in and positioned correctly too. As I know at least one day when they just didn't seem to fit right.....the lower bridge evidently wasn't down all the way, which even threw off how the top one worked. I set it where it is supposed to be...and bite down on my fingers on both sides until it's completely in place. Hurts less this way too. Just pushing it down with my fingers was too uneven and I tended to push too hard.....which would make me yell like a banshee.

Today I'm going to try soft foods that actually require some chewing. It will probably take me forever to eat it. :rofl:

He'd suggested using breath mints during the day.............Yeah, tried that yesterday and finally took it out and threw it away scared I'd choke to death on the thing.

I have a feeling I'll be dropping more weight during this process. :groan:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Congrats, I think??!?!!?? lol

I'm so glad you are having to learn this, tho. You've waited so long. :)

One day I told my PT relearning how to use my foot was hard....he corrected me and said the first time I walked, it was normal development and an automatic process, so technically, this is the first time I'm "learning" how to walk. Made me feel a little better about having to think so hard about the correct way to move my foot, etc - I have to learn how to manually do what used to be an automated process. Hm. Cool. I like the way he thinks. And I imagine learning how to eat and talk is 10 times scarier!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Mmmm milkshakes and smoothies. :bigsmile: Although I'm pretty sure that would shoot my diet out the window. lol

Silly me figured once I got used to them in my mouth that eating couldn't possibly be as hard as the dentist made it out to be. Hahahahahahahahahahah I was soooooooo wrong. Swallowing alone is something I'm having to concentrate on so I don't choke. I think it's just me, not sure. But when I try to swallow it feel like there is too much stuff back there.....but it is getting better somewhat. I *thought* I'd give beef and noodles and mashed potatoes a try.......uh, no, not quite yet. Let's just say I gave up. I'm going to have to work on cutting food up tiny too.

Tomorrow I'm going out in public for the first time in them since I've gotten used to them. Gonna get all gussied up, fix my hair, and even put on some makeup. woot!

Shari relearning to use a foot is very very hard. Years ago I broke every bone in my foot........learning to use it again was awful, but I imagine nothing compared to your surgery. Take it slow, it's a process.

Star*

call 911........call 911
:puppet: errrrrrr what? Just kidding just kidding........

I'm just gettin it in stereo. hahahaah. Except for the fixing the hair and makeup thing. Not hearing that here. But having to go through the blister thing again after 3 years is not fun. And OMG is he stubborn. Are you stubborn?

Jena

omg lol this reminds me of "bite, chew, swallow" we just went thru...... :)

i bet you look sooo beautiful though :)

can't imagine though must be soo odd.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Me????? STUBBORN???

:rofl:

Yeah, ok, so I am stubborn as an ox. I think with this it's going to be a good trait.

Hmmm, so DF is doing blisters? Yeah, me too in a couple of spots. ouch But I still need to do the follow up to see if they need adjusted a bit more.......but taking my time with that cuz gee I've never done this before and I don't see how just a few days after you get them you're going to be able to tell the difference between this is sore from breaking in or this is sore from not fitting right. Know what I mean??

Salt water rinses are helping tons with both the soreness and the blisters.

Poor husband is walking on egg shells. I know there are moments when I see him wanting to crack up but he's scared to because it might tick me off.....unless I either crack a joke about it or laugh first. lol

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Shari relearning to use a foot is very very hard. Years ago I broke every bone in my foot........learning to use it again was awful, but I imagine nothing compared to your surgery. Take it slow, it's a process.
The worst part is not feeling stuff! lol It just doesn't do what I think it feels like it is or should. lol But I am rocking! Knock on wood, I'm progressing faster than expected. But the whole choking aspect with relearning to eat seems really, really scary to me!