Echocardiogram anyone?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I know some of you have had an echocardiogram.

Can you please tell me what to expect?

I am real squeamish about blood stuff...anything having to do with veins, arteries, the thump, thump thump of the heart, someone pressing down on my arteries and heart area...so what can I expect so I am prepared? I already plan on taking a double dose of xanax that day to help me relax.

Thanks~

Tiapet

Old Hand
Jo you will be fine! Trust me. This is one test that is painless and if you have the right person doing it you might enjoy watching as well. For this test they hook up electrodes (sticky patches with wires that attach to them) to you in different places (like in your chest areas and rib areas and a couple other areas - depends on who is doing it as I've had people hook them up in other places like the legs like they are doing an ekg too). They what they will do is an ultrasound of your heart while you lay on your left side (usually).

Painless, simple and pretty quick. Now if you have the right person doing it they may angle the ultrasound unit display so you can see the pictures once they have you come back over to your back and take a few more. You will get to see your heart in action. They have you hold your breath here and there too. They will highlight the blood flow (which shows in blue and red for how the blood flow is functioning).

Tia (who has lots of heart issues so has had many heart related tests)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks tiapet - I almost passed out reading your post.

I seriously cannot even think in terms of blue or red or watching it or anything without getty woozey.

I thought the echo was going to be different from the ekg I had in the office, as in they were going to use an ultrasound wand over my heart.

Okay, that's all, I can't even talk about it anymore. Sorry. Thanks!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I had an EBT heart scan......checks your heart for plaque buildup......was quick, painless and didn't even have to wear a stupid robe.......Don't know if it does the same thing, but I would recommend this to anyone.... The only thing that they wanted you to do was hold your breathe for 15 seconds......not too tough......hope your test goes well.....

F

flutterbee

When I had an echo, I didn't have anything attached to me. It was just an ultrasound. You can ask them to turn away the monitor so you can't see it, however you can hear the thump of the heart at times. Maybe take some ear plugs or headphones and listen to music if that bothers you.

Let us know how it goes and the results.

(((hugs)))

LittleDudesMom

My mom had it done and she didn't have anything attached, just basically and ultrasoud like when you are pregnant. I agree with the earplugs if the sound of the heartbeat will bother you.

Hugs,
Sharon

SRL

It's a sonogram of the heart and it's a really easy one as far as tests go. If you think that you might be uncomfortable bring a friend or family member along. I wanted to see what was on the screen but you turn away or ask for a washcloth to place over your eyes.

Lothlorien

I would refrain from taking any Xanax, as it may skew the results of the test. It's exactly what Slsh says and it's perfectly harmless, bloodless and painless.

Don't be such a Ninny!:winks:

F

flutterbee

It sounds like the electrodes used on you - based on where they placed them - was for an EKG. Maybe they did the two tests at the same time?

trinityroyal

Tiapet, the electrodes are used for an Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG). The Echocardiogram is a sonogram of the heart, as others have said.

Jo, there's no pain, nothing to worry about. I agree with Lothlorien that you should not double up on your Xanax, because it might affect the results of the test.

Buck up, take some earplugs. You'll be okay.

All the best,
Trinity

Sue C

I recently had an echocardiagram of my heart...and a stress echocardiagram. I was hooked up with electrodes to my chest. I laid on my left side and the technician used a wand with that goopy stuff so it slides easily. It is PAINLESS. I watched the monitor. You do not have to. My technician was very nice and explained what he was going to do every step of the way. Yes, it was a guy but....they had a woman put the electrodes on.

The stress part of the test was that I had to walk/fast walk on the treadmill which they kept raising at an incline to get my heart rate up. Then I had to jump off the treadmill and get back on the table as fast as I could so that the technician could do the test all over again, this time with a cardiologist watching. Again, painless. (tiring on the treadmill, though)

You will be fine!!!! It is the easiest test there is. No invasive procedure. No needles. Just the wand. And you get to lay there. Nothing to it. :)

Hugs,
sue

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I checked with the facility and they said I could take xanax. What they are looking for would not be affected by it's presence.

Its in my head - the freaking out thing. It's not so much about invasive procedures as it is in my head I am thinking about the blood pumping, flowing, being monitored, pressing on my chest - just totally creeps me out. I mean, I literally shut down when I have to have any procedures done...I don't know why I'm like this, but I am. Even a teeth cleaning has me gripping the seat handles till my knuckles are white. I pass out at blood draws and my veins shut down and collapse - they have to use baby needles on me, which takes longer, but at least it 'seems' less invasive to me. Even when I'm have a breast exam by my gyno, my body clenches up, I scrunch my neck down and my hands instinctively go to my upper abdomen in a protective nature. Same thing with a pelvic exam. All my DR's know I am like this and always give me permission to take xanax. I have to take xanax for all these procedures just to get through them. I sometimes have to take them due to my physical reactions when merely thinking about the upcoming procedures.

It's not so much about 'real' pain as it is about 'imagined' pain or invasiveness. I don't expect anyone to really understand, :censored2:, my own family doesn't seem to get it. But it's definitely in my head.

Thanks for the low down on echos - it has definitely helped me to ease up bit.

Star*

call 911........call 911
When I went in to have my EEG -

I was told I had to HAVE a heart to measure it's rhythms.

(We were NOT amused)

DammitJanet

Jo...I can fully empathize with the testing phobia. I do ok with the xray, CT and ultrasounds but anything else and I am a basket case. They had to do a heart stress test on me and because I cant walk well they used the IV medicine. That part was NOT the hardest part for me if you can believe it...lol. The thing that had me the most freaked out was the nuclear part where I had to be in this weird tube thing with only my head sticking out and my arms above my head. It had to cover the entire chest area. I was panicked. Thankfully I got this great tech who sat in the room with me and we talked about everything under the sun from problem kids to Disneyworld...lmao. Turns out she has a suspected difficult child and I told her about this site.

I know they thought I was crazy but the second it was over I grabbed a diet coke and went outside and smoked like a maniac...lol.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh yeah, Janet, I totally can relate to the claustrophobia of the tube thing. I had to have an MRI in the fall and by the time it was over, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I had broken out in a sweat. I never experienced that level of panic before in that situation. I was freaking out. I had forgotten my xanax that day!