ECT would you allow?

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
TOM,

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you move forward with this treatment. I have both professional and personal experience with ECT. I have worked in two hospitals that offered this treatment, and I observed its effects on many folks. I assisted with treatments as a patient tech back in the 70's. The treatments were a little more drastic then as medications have changed now, and the treatment caused a seizure at that time. I saw at least 20 folks treated -all of them successfully. The most successful was a little lady in her 60's (she seemed so old to me at the time LOL) who was the most maniac person I have ever witnessed. After a series of treatments she went home a different person - no kidding. I had never seen such an incredible transformation in my life!

More recently I worked with a local teaching hospital that has reinitiated ECT treatments. Due to advances in medication, the treatments are much "calmer" and are physically easier on the patient. Again, I have witnessed quite a few folks pull out of serious depressions due to the treatment.

Personally, a very dear friend of mine entered a horrendous depression last year. After all treatments tried had no impact I urged her and her husband to consider ECT. They were opposed for several months, but they finally went over to the teaching hospital and gave it a try. Three months later she and I were having lunch together, and she was talking to me about her plans for the future. (This was a lady who was completely mute and sequestered in her homefor four months!). I would take the treatments in a hearbeat if I were dealing with severe depression and/or mania.

I hope this treatment is successful for your family.
This is what I have heard from the progression in the treatment, it is used mostly for depression, but the effects for mania are really surprising! Thanks so much for taking the time to list all the info!

Thanks to all for the Prayers :angel3: cuz I know ultimately It is His Power and Might which will make it happen thru the vessels of man!

Steely

Please keep us posted on how this goes. As a board of interested individuals wanting the best for our kids - I hope you will continue to share and inspire us.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
I will tomorrow we go for physical to make sure heath is in order before we start.

Good possibility, we might start as soon as Wednesday. So I will try my best to post after each TX. He is a lil anxious but I think after first one, he will be ok.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sending positive thoughts for a good outcome from this treatment. I'd do anything for the tweedles if it meant it would help them function at their highest possible level.

((((Hugs))) & prayers as difficult child starts this therapy - please keep us updated.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Well as I have said before at 2pm, we go for physical, prior to initial treatment, then do a through physical exam, EKG, blood work, and physical and then they decide if he is able to take treatments. He is on the starter pack for Lamictal, so he will not take the night before or the morning of the treatments.

We also have a regular schedule medication check on Thrusday.

( I need to up date my sig since he came out of hospital.) :-(

I also need to put a post in Special Education on the out of district placement, it is amazing when you get all no's and then all of sudden no DP, and you get ALL yes!!!! Maybe to day I will update the meetin with Bruce me and the Asst Dir of Sp Ed meeting on Friday!

Thanks to all, and I will keep ya posted!

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Well today he passed his physical, we start in the morning. He was very manic and anxious and pushing every button I had and some new ones. We will do six treatments, consult with the psychiatrist and then see how progress is coming. The head nurse who has been doing it since 1993, says maybe a possibility he maybe able to return to work next weekend, which he has worked since 12/29/08. The school is trying to work around ECT schedule which will be WED and Friday this week, see the doctor on Thursday. Then Monday, Wednesday, Friday next week and Monday the following week.

We went to the adult DBSA support group tonight because there are several people in it who have had the treatments and swear by them and their husbands, and he got first hand experience from them.

So I will write tomorrow when I get home from first treatment.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
:its_all_good:
Well he was so brave!, he had no symptoms they tell you about loss of memory before or confusion after wards!!!! All doctors and nursing were bragging on him. So NOW I am!
:jumphappy:
He had no memory loss! No confusion or disorientation afterward! He left after within 30 minutes after antithesis! It was amazing like he had not even went thru anything so we will see how we progress.

:bigsmile:I told him how proud I was of him and how brave he was to try this!

:bravo:So Thank you to ALL of you for the encouragement, the prayers, encouragement and faith are being forth the results!!! I truly believe! :musicdance:

:woohoo:Whoooooohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
How long did they tell you until you know if it is helping? Will you just watch and wait? Is he going home?
I am so happy!!! When is the one scheduled?
Bravo to you and him.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
How long did they tell you until you know if it is helping? We will watch it as we go set for six treatments right now. Will you just watch and wait? Is he going home? He came home today and has been so calm and quiet !!!
I am so happy!!! When is the one scheduled? Next is scheduled for Friday, and then MWF next week.
Bravo to you and him.
Thanks a bunch!

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Well, second TX was yesterday and results were the same as the first one. No side effects and his WAY high mania has come down to just about being a teenager. He got released to go back to work next weekend for full shifts Friday and Saturday. He is really excited about that, the company saved his job for two months! What a blessing. Monday next TX. He must have confidence in it, cus he is diagnosing everyone he thinks needs it (especially his friends).

TerryJ2

Wow. I missed this entire thread.
You and your son are so brave.
I am so glad and relieved that it worked.
How many treatments did he have altogether?
How long is it supposed to last? (Maybe forever?)
Is he still on his medications or can he be weaned off some of them?
Sorry for so many questions.
Again, congrats.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Thank you but we feel like we are just doing what we are post to be doing.

Oh I am so amazed at the lack of side effects!

We are starting with 6, every other day, last one will be on the 2nd of March. Then psychiatrist will assess to see if any more so but her may wait and see and how long those last.

A lot of the other patients we talked to had to go back for maintenance treatment after about 6months but theirs were fo the other end for depression and suicide.

Yes he is still on medications, in fact we are on a starter pack for Lamcital which he he just went up to a hundred mg tonight. but he cant take the Lamcital or his Topamax the night before.

Thanks again for TO all the support it is really so encouraging!!!!! :D

Fran

Former desparate mom
It is important for some of us to see different treatment options. I appreciate that you are sharing this experience with us. I know I would try it for a loved one if there was no success with medication.
My difficult child has no memory of what he calls "the dark years". None and this is with medications and no ECT.
Of course, there are no cures but we do get some choices and this is one of them. Thanks for letting us watch your story.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Today, I believe we are experiencing NORMAL teenage issues, with is kinda of funny to say is good to see but have taken his iPhone due to mouthiness and not wanting to due chores correctly, so he can go out to eat when a gfriend of mine gets here.

Trying to say they were done thinking, I wont go behind to check him. Even though he is going through TX on the days of TX I let him off and yesterday, but today I said he had to get chores done before week starts!

Tough love, no playing the "Bipolar card" with me! Still have to have boundaries, even though we are going through this change.

BusynMember

I kept pretty quiet because I know there are a ton of horror stories out there and ECT used to be much worse. It has been modified and made much safer--I can't see how it could do more harm than five medications that are heavy duty. I would use it myself if I ever fell into a deep depression again. I don't want to play the "switch my medications" game ever again. I have heard from people who have had recent ECT that it was very effective. From time to time you need a "tune up." But, like I said, it is something I would definitely try, although I'd do a lot of research on who is adept at administering it.
Thanks for sharing. I wish your son continued luck. Keep us updated.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Today was third treatment, still no effects as literature suggest is possible. So I am still believe and hoping we have found hope. It is still a wait and and see. Yes I hate the ennie meenie mo of merry go round of which drug fits your chemistry! His main end of the pole is mania, and like I have said before 1% WMI since 7 yrs.