Eeeeeek! Just a bit of a Freak Out post (don't mind me)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
First day of 3rd quarter clinicals was today. I lucked out this quarter and they had decided our class was still to large for one instructor to watch everyone do medications so they broke us up into 2 groups at 2 different hospitals. The 2nd hospital is the one here in town. (the one I won't go to as a patient lol) I chose it because gas to cincy gets mighty expensive and getting up before 4 am is just not my style.:tongue:

New clinical instructor is a nice nurse. Actually have "known" her for many years as she's cared for many family members both when she ran the OB dept and when she worked ER. She was one who cared for me when I got hit by the truck and careflighted to dayton. I remember seeing her working on me and thinking "at least they gave me the nurse with a brain" lol (odd the things that go thru your mind)

Anyway............time for the freakout. Our reg nursing instructor/clinical instructor goes SLOW. Last quarter we focused on assessments, bed baths, bed making, basic patient care and charting. That could seem overwhelming enough at times. This quarter her group will have 1 day in outpatient dept to practice putting in IV's. One day to observe surgery. They'll be passing insulin. Period. Plus what they did last quarter.

We were given our schedules in advance (other lady doesn't do that). There are 3 days when you do nothing but IVs.....when you go to surgery, ER, and endoscopy. We go to each of these depts twice during the quarter. (6 days of doing nothing but IVs instead of just 2 and the random patient who needs one) We won't be doing baths and bed making unless our aides need help. We'll be passing all medications we'll be allowed to pass once we pass our state boards and doing all procedures we'd be allowed to do as nurses. And we'll be doing patient care on 2 patients instead of just one.

Those of us who will be doing IVs all day tomorrow nearly went into panic attacks. We've seen the procedure ONCE. We've practiced it ONCE. (some badly) We're not even close to being checked off on it. Lucky me happens to be going to surgery tomorrow. So I'm one of them. So I spoke up and told the instructor we've basically had no experience and haven't much a clue as to what we're doing........and didn't even get to practice on a real person. Those dummies are so easy to do I could do it blindfolded for pete's sake, nothing like a real person.

So I volunteered to be the "patient" and let her put an IV in so we could see it done on a person up close and personal. Me being patient mean I got to really see it up close. lol She showed us tricks other instructor left out ( a lot of them). So I do feel a bit better about it now. Guess I should feel good I'm getting the really scary thing out of the way first. Except I'm scheduled for it again the last day of clinical. lol Actually I'm more worried about doing intramuscular injections than putting a needle into a vein. Phlebotomy wasn't for nothing.

She swears she has never flunked a clinical student in 10 yrs. I told her I'm holding her to it. :rofl:

I may have done well on the final for pharm last quarter, but I still don't feel like I know it at all. And with all the new stuff to remember......and 2 patients, 4 when someone goes to break or lunch, whew. We'll basically be doing exactly what we'll be doing as nurses....just with less patients and her there to make sure we don't hurt someone.

Just a wee bit intimidating when you're only half way through. Other group won't be at this point until next quarter. Some of those students are going to be mighty ticked off because they chose the cincy hospital thinking they'd get to do more there. lol Oh, well.

So now we're getting down to the nitty gritty. Not complaining, got to learn it sometime. But whew.....going to have to watch my panic levels and make myself remember once I get the hang of it I'll be fine.:tongue:

Thanks for letting me wig out and ramble a bit.

Mattsmom277

I've had student nurses have to start me on IV etc and the ones that didn't tell me, I got a peeved lol. But when they would say something about being new and doing their best to be quick and whatnot, I never once minded if they struggled to get a line into me. Just a tip :)

You've all got to learn sometime I guess huh? lol I think you'll be fine, just by virtue of it being something you are taking seriously tells me you'll be giving it your all, and that is all one can expect.

Big kudos for tackling such a demanding new career!

trinityroyal

Deep breaths Lisa. I'm very proud of you for tackling this challenge and I think you'll excel at it. I think you and your group will be so much better prepared than the others.
I also agree with Mattsmom's advice...I tend to be much more patient with someone when I know they are learning the job.

Trinity

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
husband used to volunteer as a "testing dummy" for Army medics in training. He had huge surface veins and even the clumsiest trainee could usually get a line in him.

Far cry from years later when his veins were so blown out that he had a port installed.

Me? I have lousy veins. I don't mind if a trainee works on me, I just want to know in advance so I can direct them as best I can. I know which veins are still good for IVs, and which are good for blood draws only.

The digging around isn't fun, but I figure that if they can get a line in on me, it's a good start on their training and a confidence builder.

donna723

My daughter claimed that the little 'skin sticks', just under the skin like in a TB test, were the hardest to do right. They sent them all home with sterile water (or something similar) and a syringe and she practiced on herself all evening! When she was done she must have had fifty little lumps on her arm!

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Donna. We practiced on hot dogs. Actually works pretty well.

What I don't get? In phlebotomy we practiced on each other. Seriously. I'd come home from class looking like an addict. I have good veins and am not the least bit afraid of needles. We're talking hours and hours of this.

But in nursing?? We can't stick each other even using saline. Go figure. Doesn't make sense.

But those dummies.........they in no way shape or form resemble what it's like to stick a needle in the vein of a person.

So I'm guessing someone really complained about being stuck by fellow students.

KTMom91

Back in the retail days, we practiced ear piercing on little square sponges, before graduating to real people.

susiestar

Roll With It
For the epipen, where you stab the pen through clothes or whatever, I got a 45 min video and the nurse at the allergy clinic had a whole checklist for me to go over. Then I started having to give myself shots into muscle. For the second one I got a video, about 5 minutes. Mostly all the wonderful things the medication could do. The others I had a piece of paper with instructions in 4 languages. Period. For the compounded Vit D shots no one bothered to even ask if I knew how to do them. No one.

I am GLAD that you will have lots of time to train on real people. They won't let you really harm someone and often new students are gentler and follow the steps better than "experienced" people.

When I had the cellulitis I had the one older nurse who refused to take precautions, even wanted to mess with my IV antibiotics with-o gloves. She was offended that I told the doctor and the hospital administrator about it. The jus tout of college nurses were awesome.

Heck, I had blood work done today and had to stop Mr. Mosquito von Dracula. He felt for veins with gloves on. Then tried the other arm, etc... No big deal. Then he used a bare finger. It was clean. Then he went to put the gloves he laid on the counter back on.

NO. New gloves please. OK.

Wipes arm with alcohol.

Prods for vein. Takes gloves off, prods, puts on NEW gloves and goes to stick me.

NO. Alcohol please. He looked kinda sheepish.

The lady making sure stuff went smoothly laughed.

Mr Mosquito von Dracula was nice, and gentle. He had to poke around a while. I had to fast. It ALWAYS upsets my stomach. So I was dehydrated and it makes it hard to find my veins. Poor Mr. Mosquito Von Dracula.

You will be GREAT. I have faith. You will stress, get flustered and even make mistakes. But you will remember the really important stuff. You will also be able to make your patients more comfortable and will help them feel connected.

Just cause that is how you are. So when you stress, take a deep breath and remember that even brain surgery is easy if you take it one step at a time. So calm down and take it one step at a time.

Hugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Patient teaching with injections has gotten so lax in some places it literally scares me.

That said, the day went well. Surgery wasn't busy but I did get checked off on my IVs. First one went in like a knife in butter. Young guy with beautiful veins. Nurse said I did it perfect and was surprised. I left out that I'd had phlebotomy. ;) Once I was done in surgery I got to hang around with cardio/pulmonary and watch them do breathing treatments and ECGs. Pretty cool.

Those up on the floor did great too. They did more in one day than they'd done in the last 2 quarters! I get patient care next tuesday and then ER on Wed. I can't wait until next clinical day. (never thought I'd hear myself say that) AND I ran into another student I know from my sign language class that was in the RN program. She's down to her last quarter and said she loves how much more confident she feels and promised me there is a light at the end of the tunnel. lol

susiestar

Roll With It
I think if I understood how lax some of the teaching has gotten I would be scared to be a patient. As it is I use my voice to correct problems. Last year there was one night nurse who kept trying to come in and do medications, etc... in the IV while I was sleeping. I drove her nuts by first being awake or waki ng up and by second making her stop to follow all the steps, like handwashing, using alcohol wipes and wearing gloves.

I just LOVE the enthusiasm in your voice now!! The excitement is AWESOME to hear. Maybe when you are done you can come live here and work with MY doctors, LOL.

Hugs.