Embarassing medical question (blush) but I need advice

BusynMember

(blush, blush, blush and warning that it's NOT pretty)

On Sept. 4th I have a colonoscopy scheduled. I am not nervous about it. I've had them before. On a rather humorous note, this is my birthday as well, but when it came in the mail that it was my scheduled time rather than changing it, I decided it's never fun to have one and we never celebrate birthdays in the middle of the week anyway. Thus, I turn the big 6-0 with a, er, pain in the butt. Now for the more serious part.

Laxatives and preps and even enemas don't work for me very well. I never abused them. I think it may be the Clonazapan, which relaxes muscles, but that's just my layman's guess. So I can't prep for one the normal way. It's not good enough. Last time I didn't eat much for a few days and took laxatives and somehow I was clean enough after the doctor did his routine with Fleet (and I don't mean Fleet and Farm). I had it. He said it was fine. However, I do have to go back more often because of fissures and a few benign polyps so here I am three years later having to worry again.

I have already gone today with clear liquids and I did what I did last time...took stool softeners and a few Dulcolax's (I think they're called). Although I did have a, er, movement it wasn't the type that makes you clean. What the heck do you do if you are resistant to things like GoLightly? Since it did nothing for me last time, except make me feel like puking, I'm not even going to take it.

I really don't have a constipation problem and normally do my business on a regular schedule. Bet you needed to know that, right? Bet it made your day!!!

Any suggestions? (blush, blush, blush and more blush). This was embarassing.

S

Signorina

See if you can get the pills. They work better than the drink.

I have also heard that mixing miralax with gatorade works.

*Good luck!

The pills work well. Tell the dr.'s office all this tomorrow. They'll suggest the right combination.

LittleDudesMom

I think what you are doing is on track. I know that when I had mine in December, one option for those who can't tolerate the cleansers was a liquid diet for 3 or 4 days and an enema (which they don't have you do any more if you tolerate the cleanse). Since you are regular, it might be good enough.

Just to be sure, perhaps you should give the docs office this morning. They might want you to do an enema.

Good luck.

Sharon

LucyB

My husband has his first colonoscopy next week. I just bought the stuff for his prep yesterday. Here is his prep:

Four 5 mg dulcolax pills at noon the day before.

Mix an 8.3 oz bottle of Miralax in two 32 oz bottles of gatorade (half of the Miralax into each bottle). Start drinking the first bottle at 12:30, drinking one glass every 15- 20 minutes until gone.

Start drinking the second gatorade/miralax mix between 3 - 4 and drink until gone.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Clear liquid. Get the PILL.

If you can manage, take LONG fast paced walks, maybe walk the dog. Drink LOTS of water. (give it something to work with)

I don't much care for enemas either, not sure anyone does. lol But my body reacts violently to them......and well, if person giving it isn't smart enough to stand on the opposite side like I instruct them to do (and I do when giving one) then they'll need a new outfit. As a few nurses have discovered over the years.

So I avoid them if at all possible as well.

DDD

I learned about the pills years ago from a CD family member...they weren't available her at that time BUT they are terrific for me as I gag if trying to drink weird liquids. My husband is at home prepping for tomorrow. His Dr. prescribed a product that is disolved and taken with mega water. Guess what? It's not covered by insurance and costs $140!! That's enough to make anyone sick! Good luck to you. DDD