Emergency psychiatrist appointment today

StressedM0mma

And difficult child starts the partial hospitalization program tomorrow. Please pray pretzel or whatever you do that this will be what she needs. I am at my wits end and cinnot take much more of it. I asked for her to be hospitalized, but the psychiatrist refused. She doesn't believe that it is a medication issue. Program starts at 8 in the morning. I hope and pray that I will be able to get her there everyday.
psychiatrist did put her back on Celexa but only 10mg. She is going to adjust as necessary, and told difficult child that she has to start taking melatonin until her next appointment. And, if it doesn't work then she will write something to help her sleep.

InsaneCdn

Did you ask the psychiatrist what to do if she refuses to get up for the program?
What is the "plan B"?

I hate it when the professionals just don't see the picture.

buddy

Have you called school? Did the pt hospital folks give you papers for the school part of things yet or do you do all that tomorrow when you get there? It might help you to ask the counselor to go to all her teachers and gather up her assignments, books, anything from there end that she will need because they usually help them keep up with the school work not come up with their own assignments (unless it is long term placement and they are taking it over completely). i wonder if your insurance will pay for a medical transport like a van or something so they show up and she has to get in???

StressedM0mma

Buddy I have already called school and have lelft a message with the guidance people. They are supposed to get her work together for her. She is going to miss finals. But I do not care. I asked about what happens when she refuses to get up to go, and they said oh that happens. And that was it. Gotta love non answers. I just hope this helps her. I am naively holding out hope. difficult child says she wants to go there. So, hopefully that will help. I have a feeling once the therapy gets hard though that she will try to back out. For this, I will take her in her pjs if I have to. Thanks for understanding everyone.

StressedM0mma

InsaneCdn I have no clue what will happen when she refuses. I really felt she needed to be in the psychiatric hospital but psychiatrist refused saying there was no reason. Really? The fact that I cannot handle her is not a reason? The fact that I am scared of her? Not a reason. Please God. Let this work for her.

InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn I have no clue what will happen when she refuses. I really felt she needed to be in the psychiatric hospital but psychiatrist refused saying there was no reason. Really? The fact that I cannot handle her is not a reason? The fact that I am scared of her? Not a reason. Please God. Let this work for her.

Or at least... let THEM see, for themselves, how bad it is and move her to residential/hospital environment...

pepperidge

good luck getting her there. If this is what she needs and she refuses then I think you need to consider more drastic step--therapeutic Residential Treatment Center (RTC) or therapeutic wilderness program.

perhaps the message you need to give her is that you will stop at nothing to get her the help she needs... and that this alternative may be more to her liking than others. Yes it is a threat of sorts, but she needs to know you mean business.

At some point you need to draw a line in the sand. Do you have any leverage if she refuses? cell phone to take away? or things like that? If you think this program is likely to help, then you need to let her know you mean business.

A great step on your part getting her this far. hope it helps!

buddy

here is my hope.... the fact that she has been so stressed by school work and that is the obsession that has kept her up at night, is gone now, then she may get sleep. She can get up because she does not need that escape from the shoulder crushing hole she has dug with her school work. i was like that to a lesser degree... always waited till the last minute to do work and always in the high achievement classes wanting the top grades. I had many days off school because i could not face it and could sleep all day.

so, i hope she has less reason to stay in bed and she feels less stress and panic so can handle getting up. i am going to think she IS getting up this morning (it is late as i write). yes, she is getting up.... for sure.... (i hope, sigh)

StressedM0mma

Thanks Buddy. Right now I am a paniced mess. I am shaking while I type because of the stress and worry. I am having a hard time with the mornings. i tried getting her up and got the standard 5 more minutes. i am doing my deep breathing and everything just trying to make it until she leaves with husband.

buddy

These are the moments I really need to concentrate only on the deep breathing and relaxation. Like yesterday as i was driving to school. I am so tired of that chest pressing feeling when those things happen. It really does help to breathe. DO you like any special coffee or hot drink? Maybe splurge on it and have it (not suggesting a hot alcohol drink, lol, you need to drive her right?) but have it every morning as a treat to yourself....something to look forward to and to reward yourself for being such an awesome mom. Let us know how it went!

StressedM0mma

Well, I made it through most of the day. I took a little nap. First good sleep I have had in weeks I think. I did wake up panicked but I think that is going to be the norm for awhile. difficult child was ready to go on time this morning. husband will be taking her and bringing her home most days. He works in the building right next door. He went over at lunch to talk to the teacher about getting in touch with school to set up services when she is done. He said the teacher said she was very talkative, and seemed to be doing well. Hopefully the transition home will be ok. Alot of times she does well, or pretends at counseling or other places, and then the real difficult child comes out at home.
I called to get counseling for myself, and the place that was recommended to me is not sure they take my insurance. Sound repetitive? That is the story of my life. It is what happens when you live in a small town, and your husband's company is based in another state. They are going to call me back on Monday.

buddy

Funny thing, I fell asleep a little (i think it was one of those escape, I can't make another phone call naps) and woke in a panic too. but still...no call from school! I hate that waking with a fright stuff.

I am so happy you got a little break. This really is good news. I am THRILLED that hubby is taking her. I wonder if your story hits me so hard because in a small way I can relate to your difficult child as I said before. I never was like that to my parents or raged, but the anxiety and depression for me I turned inward and became bulimic and anorexic. I am hoping if that is true for her...that some of it is her ability to cope and handle when she takes too much on....that this will be a BIG turn around for her. I know it is not that simple when brain chemistry is involved but it only takes one small thing to start the spiral upwards again. She feels relief, can do better, you feel relief can cope and help better and on and on and upward. Yes, there will be bumps. But I really hope these guys get to see the issues with her and that she will be honest. She is young for this concept, but she really does have to take some responsibility for her own happiness and stress management.

Huge pat on the back. This is a good start. Love, Dee