EMSAM patch for easy child son

BusynMember

My other grown son (the son who still speaks to us...lol) has unfortunately inherited a lot of my problems--depression, anxiety, social phobia, and a bad case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). He is on Lamictal and Xanax-XR (which scares me to death because he has to drive to work). He says nothing else helped. His doctor recently added an EMSAM patch. Does anyone know anything about it? I feel so bad for him. He's not in a good place now, yet he still goes to work each day and tries really hard. He and his wife are expecting my first grandchild. He has always had anxiety issues, but they kicked up at nineteen. Then they went into remission and hit him again a few years ago--full force.

BusynMember

It's new--an MAO inhibitor which is given as a patch. It's a lot safer. I just don't know how effective it is...ya never stop worrying about your kids, ya know. He's going to be thirty in a month, but I still get concerned.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm sorry. I haven't heard of it either. Is it to treat the depression or the anxiety?

I hope someone knows. I'd like to learn more about this patch too. Sounds interesting.

I'm sorry to hear that easy child son is struggling.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like the best way to try MAOI's. They are really difficult medications to take, because all the interactions with food and other medications. At the lowest dose it seems to be safe with no dietary restrictions. If he needs to go up he will need to follow the dietary restrictions.

I have come within a hair of needing this kind of medication a few times. I have been lucky and been able to find other ways to cope with the problems, but it is nice to know they have this patch.

I know the fentanyl transdermal patches for chronic pain control are a Godsend.

Susie

BusynMember

Well, he's bad enough that he needs medications. The patch is different--you don't get the food interactions. He was told he could eat the way he likes.