enimen Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)?

Jena

ok, saw an interview tonight with-enimen i'm probably spelling it wrong. the rapper.

that boy is def. a difficult child!! Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) all the way. hes' supposedly the most amazing lyricist in the business and able to rap like no one else. i'm not a rap fan. believe it or not husband is!

funny thing this guy has pages and pages of just words. their kept in boxes. they make no sense some of them he just jots them down either all in caps or all lowercase.

he said he obsesses all day long about words in his head.

yet another example of a difficult child who is amazing and making a whole lotta money

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I saw that interview on 60 Minutes also. He likely is a difficult child - for SOOOOOOOO many reasons. However, most lyricists jot down words and phrases and maintain some sort of filing system that makes sense only to them. My 'son' has always been writing since we met him in Jr High and he has notebooks and journals and pieces of paper all the time with just words on them. He saves them all. He claims that all writers do...and I have heard that before. You always hear about families finding boxes of written notes and stories in the attics of dead writers and poets.

I personally do not care for Eminem because I find him extremly self centered, misogynistic and talentless. I couldn't believe in the interview how he claimed himself a master of the English language!! I nearly choked because just listening to him speak annoyed me to no end. He sounds ignorant and I can't stand his music either. easy child once tried to help me understand one of his songs so I would stop hating it so much but I just couldn't see it her way...nor could she see it mine. Must be a generational thing.

Marguerite

I am not a fan, but I see the talent in his work. He is a poet, for sure. He is also a deep thinker and uses his work to communicate effectively on a range of valuable social issues. Of those young fans of his who pay attention to his lyrics, hopefully he is getting across some effective messages.

The way a person talks when NOT performing, does not always give a sound indication of their ability as a performer and writer.

When I read his work, the rhyming is not obvious; it only becomes apparent in performance. He relies on rhythm and assonance rather than full rhyme. The thing is, it works in performance.

I also agree - egocentric and apparently humourless (although some of his video clips are very effectively satirical; I do fine them vicious at times in their satire, however).

Not to my taste, but I have used his work in lessons on poetry.

I don't think understanding him is necessarily a generational thing - I'm 55!

Marg

Jena

lol guys relax i'm soo not a fan. just noticed how he obsesses and it made me think hey difficult child!! :)

as far as his lyrics' hey free country i dont particulary like the lyrics of you *** i'm going to kill you with a ***** LOL. like wow what's up with that? therapy anyone?? :)

muttmeister

I am definitely an Eminem fan. It can't be a generational thing unless I'm in my second childhood. I understand what you are saying about SOME of the things he does but in a lot of his stuff I find a great deal of humor. He often gives me a good giggle. He is definitely talented. He reminds me of Bob Dylan (more my generation) in the way he puts together a lot of obscure references and comes up with a new idea. I agree about him being a major difficult child but maybe that is part of the appeal...I tend to be one too and I can relate to some of what he says and the rest I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on. I do think it is interesting to look at his early work when he was drugged out and compare it to the stuff he is doing now. I think it shows that even somebody like that can grow and mature.

witzend

as far as his lyrics' hey free country i dont particulary like the lyrics of you *** i'm going to kill you with a ***** LOL. like wow what's up with that? therapy anyone?? :)

That's the song he wrote for his mother.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Am a big Eminem fan here as well Mutt - seems to be a gap with not liking him between his age group and the 60 and older crowd :)

Maybe because I was a difficult child I can connect with some of his songs - but he definately has a few alphabet letters after his name of one kind or another

Marcie -
-

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not into rap so I don't even have a clue who you're talking about. To me rap was a way for those with no singing talent to still be able to perform and make money. lol But that's just my opinion. Not saying I don't like any rap at all......there have been a few catchy tunes with some rap in them that I have enjoyed, but honestly couldn't tell you who did them. But on the whole it doesn't take long for rap music to give me a major headache......it has much the same effect on me as does hard rock or heavy metal ect. NOT generational.......as for the most part I listen to much the same music as my girls do.........um Travis tends to be sort of way out in left field I'm not even sure what the type of music he listens to is even called. :rofl:

Jena

witz

def. needs some therapy than lol. all joking aside he's been through the ringer and back. he took his misfortuntes and turned them into a fortune so regardless of his mannerisms or how he handles himself in an interview he is one smart guy.

i'll go bck to my original comment i made a while back. those with these disorders etc. are some of the most talented, creative gifted ppl this world has. i almost hate medicating brilliance. yet i get the whole raging thing can't be good for them or society yet other than that and anxiety issues let's say bipolar for instance it's such a shame that we have to convert and change and yes conform to meet the worlds criteria of "functional".

when my kids' up at 3 a.m. all dressed up and singing her tunes and recording her songs she is really really happy and in her zone bigtime. styming that cant' spell because yes school in a.m. etc. real life responsiblities kills me at times.

can you tell i miss her? :) my appreciation for her, her antics, the willfullness all of it has grown tremendously these past two weeks. i look forward to the day i can sit and play karokee with her again or a board game and watch that beautiful face of hers light up the room.

my connection to her is so diff than my connection with-easy child. it's astounding. easy child i absolutely adore yet difficult child has a piece of me

muttmeister

i'll go bck to my original comment i made a while back. those with these disorders etc. are some of the most talented, creative gifted ppl this world has. i almost hate medicating brilliance.

I definitely think you are right. With my older difficult child especially, I always felt that way. The way he was, you couldn't live with him, but he had so many good points and was so smart and funny and creative that I didn't like what a lot of the medications did to him. At one point he had been through a behavior modification program...I took him someplace and he behaved well but I felt like I was with a robot. I guess it's a good thing that the results of that program wore off. I will say that now, as an adult, he has found the "right" medication and he is functioning well but he is still himself. Too bad we couldn't have gotten there sooner.

Bean

Some of you have said it better than I can, but I'm an Eminem fan. Maybe "fan" is a strong word... I can appreciate his talents, twisted as his lyrics may be, they are poetic. They aren't always easy to listen to or to stomach, but (and maybe its the twisted difficult child in myself) they resonate with a wide range of people. They're raw, real, bold, and some of them heartbreaking. There are a lot of rappers out there who talk about money, women, drugs, but he doesn't focus so much on that. He screams difficult child and inner turmoil, a lot of self-loathing.

shellyd67

I personally cannot stand him either and refuse to let difficult child and easy child listen to his music. He is a very troubled man. From interviews and magazine articles I have read, it seems he never really had caring parents or family members to guide him. I do agree that he is talented but he could use his talents in a much better fashion. He is vulgar!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Count me as an Eminem fan, too. I think he's an incredible poet/lyricist (and keep meaning to buy his new CD). It's funny, I know many people in my "generation" who don't like rap in general, but like Eminem. I think many people can relate to the emotion in his work. I don't like all of it, and I see why it tends to offend some people, but to each their own. It's pretty hard to offend me lol.