Equestrians? Pony?

DDD

The only "horsie" lover that I can think of is Pony. I need to ask a question as I'm not an equestrian.

My organization is considering a new Trails project that sounds neat. It's a relay that includes equestrians, kayakers, bikers and walker/runners. The question is "what surfaces are ok for horses running?"

We don't have an actual trail to use. Yes, there are experts around here but I'm trying to brainstorm before suggesting the idea. It doesn't make sense that asphalt would be ok. Obviously they can't run on concrete wide sidewalks :(. Would it have to be sand? gravel? or would I have to get ranchers to allow their property to be used?

Also...how far can a normal horse run?

:confused: Why do I always have these strange questions?? :ashamed: DDD

Jena

hi

i love horses and i'd say sand. ofcourse land would be best yet if you can't do that horses love sand. as far as running is concerned. it depends on the horse, the age, etc. most can go pretty far yet a good 1/2 mile run is always good exercise for them

house of cards

I used to take my horse on trail rides along side of the road and on the edges of fields as well as on paths through the woods. But I wasn't running, mostly the horse was just walking along. I would think dirt, sand and grass would all be good surfaces. I would be more concerned that it was relatively smooth, no big ruts.

DDD

Thanks. I'm having lunch with a young woman who owns stables etc.
Your input will help me avoid sounding like a "city slicker" and suggesting concepts that aren't acceptable to horse owners.

It's a neat idea, I think. Time will tell if it is doable. Thanks again. DDD

Abbey

Spork Queen
Surface is dependent on how the horses are hooved. Some wear shoes if they are usually on concrete, non-shooed horses can take basically any other surface. A perfect solution would be to have both available to accomodate either type of horse.

Sounds like a cool project!!

Abbey

DammitJanet

I live in the country and people around me have horses. They ride on the sandy dirt driveways and dirt roads and down beside the regular roads. Obviously they walk or run across the roads...duh!