ER trip with difficult child this weekend

shellyd67

difficult child woke up out of a sound sleep Saturday night with very labored breathing.

He began to cry and kept gasping for air. husband and I rushed him off to the ER and after a very thorough exam he was diagnosed with the croup.

He had breathing treatments and steriods and is fine now.

I want to share with you all that while in the ER on the gurney he turned to husband and I and said, "Mom and Dad I am so sorry for being disrespectful and giving you such a hard time all the time and I know you love and care about me and I will never do any of those mean things again."

husband and I smiled and said, "We love you buddy and glad you are feeling better"

After we came home and difficult child woke up he ate and then started being his normal ornery self.

We were just glad he showed a little empathy for a change regardless of the circumstance.

Baby steps.

So much for the confession on the hospital gurney. LOL

T

TeDo

Glad there was a bright spot in there somewhere. When he began being ornery again, did you remind him of his "promise"? If nothing else, it would have been interesting to hear his response.

Marguerite

We found with difficult child 3, that his behaviour for about three days BEFORE he showed symptoms of a fever or other illness, his behaviour would be horrible. To a lesser extent, he was not great during recovery mode. But while he was really sick - an angel.

difficult child 3 had croup a lot, and it was no exception. We ended up buying our own nebuliser, it was cheaper than hiring one over and over. Then when I had whooping cough, it was very welcome!

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad he is feeling better. Croup is a really scary thing to have. the medications will help. When he is coughing there are some other things you can do. Have him sit in the bathroom while the shower runs with just hot water so the bathroom is super steamy. You can also pour steaming hot water into a bowl and have him hold his face about a foot over it. Put a bath towel over his head to help hold the steam in place and have him breathe as calmly as he can. I do NOT like the bowl method for kids because they can get hurt badly if they spill the water. If that doesn't work, take him outside to sit down or take a walk. Yes, sounds strange, but it works. The cool air is super helpful for some people. These can make a HUGE difference in how bad the croup gets.

shellyd67

Thanx everyone. Susie, the ER doctor said that bringing him out into the night air was the best thing we could have done for his breathing to become better. So you are right on the money there my friend. He has done remarkably well since the breathing treatments and steroids. Scary night for all of us.

Jena

thats' scary i'm glad he's feeling better. as far as those sweet words coming from his little sick mouth take them and hold onto them. i think it's great he showed empathy baby steps all the way!!!

((hugs))