Esther - How are you feeling?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Esther,

I was thinking about you today and wondering how you are feeling after the heart surgery - I hope this post finds you gaining strength and soon back to yourself again. Are you working again?
Are the kids pitching in to help Mom?

Hugs
Star

Coookie

Esther,

I didn't know.. :frown: I hope you are doing well... Sending you many hugs.. and yes .. I still remember the real ones. :smile:

Estherfromjerusalem

Star,

You are so kind to think of me -- thank you, and thank you very much for asking.

It's a bit complicated -- but first things first. I am here, I am typing, I am functioning -- so the operation was successful. It wasn't heart surgery. My right carotid artery (the main artery, in the neck) was blocked, and it had to be unblocked quickly because I was already having mini-strokes and there was the danger of having a big stroke, so it had to be done and it is quite major surgery. It means I have a scar right down my neck at the side. And I had the same procedure five years ago, on the left side, so I feel as if I look just ghastly.

It is almost two months now since the surgery. It is exactly two months since I stopped smoking. It would have been ridiculous to have that surgery done and then just carry on blithely smoking, so I decided that I just HAVE to stop, although I really didn't WANT to. I did it cold turkey, and it has not been easy, and it still isn't easy. But I am not smoking. I have promised myself that if I live until I am 80, I will allow myself to go back to smoking again! Only 18 years to go.

I won't bore you all with any more details. I think I am a bit depressed since the surgery.

difficult child is living out of the house at the moment, in an apartment for soldiers in the army. That will end in about 3 months time and I am dreading him coming home. The quality of our lives is so much better without him.

My former difficult child (today aged 38) is getting married on March 6. That is very exciting, but also fraught with all sorts of complications.

And I have a lot of work (I am self-employed). So life is really full, and I have been very lucky with the surgery and I thank the Almighty for being good to me.

I look in here every day, and sometimes reply, but not as much as I should.

I follow your tales of Stardude, and am amazed at what he gets up to. You are amazing, how you are coping.

Thanks for asking about me,

Love, Esther

DDD

Thanks for the update, Esther. Many of us have wondered how you
were doing. ENJOY the break from difficult child. DDD

Sue C

Thanks for the update, Esther. I hope you continue to improve and are able to get caught up on your work. As far as not smoking, I have confidence in you that you can do this! You want to be healthy and it is necessary, so you will be strong. My dad smoked from age 12 'til about 56 when he had a heart attack and needed 5 bypasses done. He gave up smoking cold turkey. It had to be done. He lived to 79 and he never had the desire to smoke since giving it up!!! Hopefully, you will feel the same way. :)

Hugs,
Sue

Coookie

Esther,

Sending prayers and hugs for your quick recovery. Also sending a special angel to help with the not smoking. :) I certainly know how hard that can be but I personally want to know you will be around for a very long time. :)

Hugs

gottaloveem

Hi Esther,
Glad the surgery was a success. Sorry you are feeling a little down.

I quit smoking about 20 years ago and I just recently decided that I will start smoking again when I am 80.

Hang in there, the cravings really do go away after awhile.

Lia