Ethics mtg....I'm overwhelmed

Star*

call 911........call 911
Linda,

It was me holding your hand when they spoke - or maybe it was you holding mine - you're one tough cookie.

Hugs & Love
Star

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Linda, my Mom was sick for many years off and on. At the last episode I didn't know what "keep her comfortable" meant. I was so naive I thought, "Great!" I was going to visit her in a few days and I appreciated their care.

I learned the hard way that, in her case, it meant that she was dying and it was close...in her case less than 48 hours.

I'm sorry for being so blunt. I wish they had been more specific/honest and I made a vow then and there that if someone I know ever hears that phrase I'll make sure they know what I learned the hard way. If I'd understood the truth behind the phrase I would have moved mountains in order to have been there sooner so I could have said goodbye and told her I loved her one more time. :9-07tears:

Hugs for this terrible pain you are living,
Suz

Linda,

The first thing that came to my mind was hospice too - When my mother in law needed hospice, the care she received was wonderful. Not only did hospice keep her as pain free as possible, but they were there for the rest of the family too. I'll always be grateful for the compassionate, caring people who helped my family get through an extremely difficult time.

I'm so sorry - As always, I'm praying for you and your family... WFEN

Steely

So many thoughts are with you Linda.

I guess keeping him comfortable without assistance simply means letting the body be able to do what it needs to do without intervening in an invasive way. If he needs pain medications, than those should be offered, and then, as time progresses his body will either make the decision to heal and move on, or not. The body is now in charge of making the choices, and if he starts going downhill, than no one should intervene with surgery or CPR.

I am so deeply, deeply sorry. You are right our board is one strong unit - you can believe we are all behind you sending you all the love and prayers we have.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
My thoughts are constantly going your way. I am so sorry that you have to handle all of this. You are an amazing person. Sending many hugs, my shoulders and anything else you need at this time.

Beth

OpenWindow

Linda,

I'm praying for you and your family. I had to give the DNR orders for my mom. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Linda