ever have an MRI?

susiestar

Roll With It
I have had several, so had Jess. I had an open one for my blown neck disk. Had the unpleasant learning experience that the open ones do NOT give as much detail or clarity that the closed ones do.

The new openMri place in my town will admit to this, but you have to push. One place offered music on headphones. How do you listen to it over the thumping?? For many htings open is OK, but if you really need to be looking for teensy things, then a closed is a better option. Or so I have been informed.

Jess does fine at the closed IF she can feel my hand on her. She has some claustophobia, as do I.

My advice, for what it is worth: get a valium or xanax dose in you before you start. Makes ALL the difference!!!

Susie

DDD

Janet, reading your post gave me the hebeegeebees! I left and
went home after the lst try. Having my head sticking out did
not give me the reassurance that the RN told me it would. Not!
The 2nd try with more than one Valium activated..I survived it.

If they had asked me to check in my jewelry and purse etc., it would have triggered PTSD trauma of visiting the detention center
for juvies! Yikes. Bet it did for you, too. DDD

Sue C

I am surprised at the number of people that are bothered by MRI's. I have had many MRI's with and without contrast and they were all in the enclosed kind and I was all the way in. I am not claustrophobic so maybe that's why it does not bother me. I could have one done every day; it wouldn't matter.

As for the loud pounding noise, I fell asleep on two occasions. Something about the rhythm of it. Luckily, my head was held still by the thingies that hold your head still (can't think what to call them at the moment).

The technicians where I've had my MRI's done always ask every once in awhile if I'm doing OK. I find that thoughtful of them.

I did have a friend who freaked out but was able to have her MRI done while a technician held her hand.

Sue

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>We laugh about the fact that we have MRI portraits of both our son's brains. The one that is difficult child's is perfectly normal and easy child's has a hole the size of a walnut in his.Go figure. I'm considering having them framed just for the sheer craziness of our life.
I had one of my pelvis years ago. I had to close my eyes and think I was somewhere else to not get too anxious. I got through it but it was a little anxiety producing.

I talked the boys into it by telling them in the old days the doctors. very often went in "blind" and not knowing what they would encounter. So they should count their blessings that they can have an MRI. I'm a mean mom. </span>