Everyone has her/his limit

Malika

Our dog seems to have very dirty teeth. I discovered - lo and behold - one can buy doggy toothbrushes and paste, which I duly did. As she is endlessly amenable and completely good natured, I imagined brushing her teeth would simply involve holding her mouth open while she obligingly stood and waited. Not so! She firmly clenches her teeth and clearly is not very willing to negotiate. Any ideas?

buddy

I think there are enzyme sprays you can use and dental diets....special food designed to reduce tartar. Otherwise a vet cleaning may be needed

Malika

Ha, ha, Buddy... you see the fixity of my thinking sometimes (why does this make me think of my dealings with J?) I am not interested in OTHER SOLUTIONS. I want only to know how I can get to brush her teeth with the equipment I have already purchased at vast expense :sochildish:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Buy cuts of meat with real bones. Give her the bones after cooking the meat.

Serious. My dogs have always had the cleanest teeth. Vet went to give me the standard lecture about how I should brush my dogs teeth (I laughed at her). Then she checked my dogs teeth.......was totally stunned at how clean they are, what great shape they're in ect ect. Asked me to tell her what I did. (my dogs weren't young either) I said I gave them REAL bones every chance I got. Then she was like, oh yeah that does it........but really you shouldn't yadda yadda. Um really? My dogs will be 13, 12....Betsy will be 6. It's never ONCE hurt them to eat a real bone. Not even chicken bones, although I don't readily give those to anyone but molly who never has had an issue with them. I gave up trying to keep them away from here, it was a futile effort.

I go out of my way to buy meat with bones for this reason. I've bought soup bones and cooked them up for the dogs. Oddly, I've found having the bone in the meat tends to give it better flavor and make it more tender. Not ever time, but usually.

Dogs have always eaten/chewed bones. And I'm not talking store bought raw hide (it's hide not bone) and "bones" which aren't bones........but everything but. They need the bones, it's good for them.

InsaneCdn

Ahhh... yes. Doggies and teeth.
Is she a chewer?
There are natural rope toys you can get them to chew on - or make your own by using macrame knots on the cordlets within "horse training rope" (it's all cotton or cotton and hemp, so horses won't get sick of they chew on it...).
You don't leave this laying around - it's a supervised activity, and you can make it fun. But chomping down on the cotton rope is a great tooth-brushing activity. You just don't want the doggie chewing it to bits and eating it.

InsaneCdn

Bones... our vet recommended the nylon-based bones of varying degrees of hardness... current doggies like 3 different hardnesses, and actually make a conscious decision which one they want at that point in time. And these kinds of things can be left out and available all the time.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I can't comment about if nylon bones clean teeth or not. They might help with chewing......... Except in all my years as a dog owner I've never gotten a dog interested in one, not even as a puppy. I have the same problem with those kong things everyone raves about. My dogs look at me like I'm just stupid when I try to give it to them. LOL

Watch out for denta bones though, they cause vomiting!! Nichole got Betsy one (thinking it would last her a while) and Betsy wolfed it down and has been tossing her cookies every since. Nichole looked it up........and evidently it's quite an issue.

InsaneCdn

OK. If you REALLY want this to work? (personally... I'm sending husband out to get us more rope this week, so the kids can knot up more chews over their week off...)

Do NOT start with that stupid doggie toothpaste. Doggie isn't stupid.
Start with gravy, or at least meat broth. Something really YUMMY.
Brush a little on her front teeth, let her lick it off.
Little by little (only try this about twice a day), see if she'll let you brush a few more teeth.
Eventually, she'll even open up so you can brush on the inside, because she loves the flavor.
Even just the mechanical impact of brushing, is huge. The paste? well... some people DO manage to get their dogs to go that far.

InsaneCdn

Lisa - Our first dog wouldn't chew ANYTHING. Not even real bones.
Our latest two? Well... they are lab crosses... and labs are chewers. It was either... get them their own chew toys, or... put up with chewed up boots and everything else. Its fun to watch them when they both spy the same bone at the same time (we have multiples, they don't have to share...) and they FIGHT over it, even though the other one is literally a foot away! These two LOVE nylabone and a few others. Kong... depends on the shape, there's one they both like.

Dogs are like kids. You can't go by the book, you have to go by the (fur)baby!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
RAW bones are safe under supervision with the exception of poultry and rabbit bones. Cooked bones crack and splinter. Bones should always be given under supervision.

If her teeth are really dirty a vet cleaning is in order. The bones will help keep the teeth clean but cannot remove extant taqrtar build up.

susiestar

Roll With It
First, I am NOT nuts.

did you sit down with the dog and tell her what you were going to do and why? Or did you just grab her and go for it? How would YOU react if someone grabbed you and pried your mouth open and stuck something in your mouth? Esp if it tasted nasty? I would clench my teeth too!

We ALWAYS tell our animals what we are going to do and why. It sounds nuts, but for the most part they DO understand that we are trying to help them. You will probably have to break this into small steps and gradually work your way up to train ehr to allow you to brush her teeth with-o a fight. Start with getting her calm, petting her and getting her to let you touch her mouth. they have sensitive mouths, from my experience, and a light touch always seemed to tickle and irritate our lab when I was a teen. (I did the dog training and most of the care even though she was gfgbro's dog because he taught her to be super rough and she kept hurting me by playing the way he taught her, so we did obedience classes together - dog and I did, gfgbro wasn't part of that.) Work with her until she will let you rub her gums with a finger - not hard but not super light either. Dogs actually find this relaxing once they know you won't hurt them. we worked with several trainers with one dog who was super hyper and skittish and it was pretty amazing once seh realized how great it felt. Then rub her gums wth a bit of the toothpaste, then work up to the brush.

You might be able to wrap her in a towel to hold her still and tehn brush her teeth, at least the outer parts, but it isn't easy. You would probably have to hold her and the towel with your legs while you hold her mouth with one hand and the toothbrush with the other.

break the task down into small steps - as small as possible, and use treats and praise to get her to want you to do it. It does work, but it takes patience and you must work with it every day.

chances are her teeth should be cleaned at the vet and tehn you can work on training her so that you can brush them at home. Home brushing just won't get all the stuff off that the vet can, but you can maintain it once it is done. just use lots of treats and praise. You might consider a "high value" treat like bits of cooked liver (if you can stand it) or meat, or even spray cheese - whatever she really really really likes.

ANY new thing you want your pet to do takes training and time. I know it sounds stupid to tell the dog that you are going to use this brush and this paste to get her teeth clean and it won't hurt and it will help keep her healthy, but it DOES help. our animals simply don't fight very much at all if we tell them before we try to do things, but if we don't? They freak out and are very upset with us.

You might want to skip the toothpaste at first and just use the dry brush or dip it into chicken or beef broth to help her get used to it. You can move to the toothpaste once she is not fighting the toothbrush.

donna723

I have four dogs and NONE of them would even consider allowing me to brush their teeth! I'm lucky if they let me clip their toenails! Brushing is a good preventative if they will let you do it but if there is a lot of tartar on the teeth, brushing will not get it off. If there is that much, the only thing that will really get rid of it is a trip to the vet for a dental cleaning. It's not cheap because the dog has to be anesthetized to have it done and before they anesthetize them, they will usually want to do bloodwork first to make sure they are in good shape and can handle the medications. Besides giving them bad breath, all that tartar can hide all kinds of painful dental problems like broken or cracked teeth or infections. My oldest Boston (she's 9) had very clean-looking teeth for her age. But during her dental exam they discovered that she had a raging infection between the root of an upper molar and her gum that had been spreading infection through her body and causing her constant intense pain. Dogs can be very stoic and you can't always tell when they're in pain. Once that was treated, she was a much happier girl!

buddy

Ha, ha, Buddy... you see the fixity of my thinking sometimes (why does this make me think of my dealings with J?) I am not interested in OTHER SOLUTIONS. I want only to know how I can get to brush her teeth with the equipment I have already purchased at vast expense :sochildish:

AHHHH, NO. Been. There. Done. That. Not worth it in my humble opinion. I guess I am just not that patient. LOL

Malika

I don't mind talking to my little dog! Yes, introducing something new slowly and bit by bit makes sense... I just thought (hoped) she would co-operate because she is such a spectacularly co-operative creature. But this is obviously her limit. :)
Thanks for all the good advice!

donna723

There might be a few grown dogs who are tolerant enough to adapt to tooth brushing. But most of the people who brush their dogs' teeth started doing it when the dog was a very small puppy and they got used to it so they don't mind. But to start doing it with an older dog is another thing entirely. Mine don't even like having me try to open their mouths to look at their teeth, much less stick a toothbrush in there and start brushing! That just ain't happening!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Malika -

How old is your dog? That has a lot to do with his/her tolerance and how well any brushing is going to work. The reason I say this is because if your dog has years of tartar build up and cronic halitosis (bad breath) and cracked teeth, and the enamel is worn down to exposed nerves? It will be very painful for anyone to stick a brush or any foreign object into his/her mouth and quite possibly stitches could be needed for you unnecessarily.

The breed of the dog may also be a factor here. I have Pitbulls. Their teeth interlock. After a while the enamel literally erodes naturally to expose the dentin and not much can be done except extraction. A dog will let you know when a tooth is bothering him/her. They tend to get grumpy, snarly, snap, A lot of people have no idea especially if they feed soft foods, bad teeth can be kept secret longer. People who feed hard kibble are sooner to notice because most dogs either loose weight, refuse food or cry out when they begin to eat. A thorough inspection by a veterinarian should be done at that point. My largest dog lost nearly 30 lbs before we figured out he wasn't eating "WELL". He was trying to eat, just not as much. Upon a visual inspection? I noticed a tooth was cracked. Also noticed his canines were worn - this unfortunately is how Bulldogs teeth wear due to the placement of locking teeth. They look eroded, but they aren't painful. Concave if you please. And sharing more knowledge from my vet ANY dogfood that is high in sugar, and ALSO dog treat that are high in sugar and carbohydrates? Will erode dogs teeth at a higher rate than you'd imagine. CUT BACK ON THE SWEETS, and watch the people food. I actually Floss Caspers teeth now - he is very tolerant but I've had my hands in ALL my pits mouths since they were pups. Casper has his own toothbrush, as do they all. We use a pearl size dab of baking soda and dab a damp toothbrush into it and brush then use a spray bottle to rinse. No one minds it. You may have better success with a straw bottle like for irrigating. I use a soft bristled brush as gums are gentle.

As far as bad breath? LOADS of things are on the market today - BUT you have to remember that BAD BREATH is from the stomach - NOT necessarily teeth. He may have a bit of food lodged in his mouth, or you may try changing his brand of dog food. If he's on food with CORN as an ingredient? Find a food that has NO grain in it - and mix the two until hes on NO Grain food completely. If he still has bad breath? Then get him an item called GREENIES. There is also a product out called Denta Sticks. They're shaped so that the tartar buildup works its way off. YAPPY MINTS are also for bad breath - but I believe you can find holistic herbs - maybe it's Requiums Charcoal.....for bad breath. It's a natural charcoal.....not BBQ briquets. You feed it to them for their stomachs and it helps bad breath. Also MILKBONE brand - NOT the knockoffs - are excellent a couple a day for inbetween tartar control.

Also if you have a butcher there? Ask them for a hip socket off a cow. We used to boil marrow bones (leg bone sections that were cut into 1" pieces and stored for later ) for our smaller dogs, to make sure there were no impuirities, but I've also given natural uncooked bones and like GN said - the larger uncooked ones? Don't splinter. ONLY COW - NEVER EVER CHICKEN or PORK. They gnawing of that particular bone is a great way to clean teeth - AND --just FYI - with a young wee one in the house - BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you are able to take the bone FROM the dog because dogs get VERY possessive of bones. Instruct your son to not at any time go near the dog when he has a bone. AT ALL. My son has a deviated septum that hangs out of the bottom of his nose - and a scar on his face where he messed with our pit TWICE - would NOT listen and now his face is witness to his stupidity. Our therapist agreed. Twice bitten - Told 100's of times - his problem.

Susie* brought up a very valid point - TALK to your dog with whatever you are doing. We do this before we do things, while we are doing them, and thank them afterwards, and they get a reward. I've done this with whatever animal or creature I'm handling. Seems to calm them, and I'd rather like to be explained what's happening to me no matter if I understand or not - It's the tone.

Hope something here is of help to you --------

I do have a suggestion for you if you're going to TRY to get your pooch to get used to the tooth brush........for about a month? DIP it in peanut butter and sit on the couch watching tv and allow him to lick the peanut butter OFF the toothbrush while you IGNORE him licking it just talking to him in low tones saying mmmmmm Goood boy/girl......thats good isn't it? Then put it up.....and don't say a word more about iit.....eventually maybe a month into this wet the tooth brush, dab it into baking soda, then dip into peanut butter and do the same thing every night........same time.......eventually work it so that you are brushing teeth.....and have a spoon full of peanut butter waiting for him when you brush his teeth.

Malika

Pup is 8 years old. I don't think she has bad breath but lots of the teeth are stained brown. Maybe she used to be a 60-a-day smoker :) She would probably like a bone. Her (only) fault is that she is constantly begging food - a trait of border terriers, apparently.