Everyone has her/his limit

Kathy813

Staff member
A dog trainer that we worked with told me to give our dog marrow bones. I get them in the meat department in my local Publix grocery store and my dogs love them. The meat guy will even cut them for me if they don't have any out in the meat counter.

They are really inexpensive . . . around $2.00 for four small ones which are perfect for my little dogs. You can get the meat guy to cut you larger ones if your dog is big.

~Kathy

Star*

call 911........call 911
I would try (for an 8 year old dog)

1.) a visit to the vet.....if not feesible or dooable -trust me I get it and I have NOooooo idea how spendy a sedation and cleaning is in France and shudder to think what my el Cheapo vet here would charge. because I just had to have one of Casper teeth surgically removed and the bill was $30.00 but I'm on the frequent barker list.

2.) Greenies, Dentasticks by Pedigree, Marrow bones and Milkbones brand biscuits by milkbone - or if you are lucky and can afford holistic no grain dog snacks that remove tartar? Try those.

NOTHING at this point is going to get rid of the tartar by brushing. Someone here recommended the ropes. I am "iffy" with terrier breeds - and I don't know the particular type of ropes recommended so they may be just fine. I can only tell you with Pit Bull Terriers - THEY chew rope toys until they are demolished, knots undone, even on the toughest ropes and the sinews get swallowed, lodged in their intestines and cause the strings to wrap around the intestines and make blockages which lead to death and or surgery if you catch it in time. I have a doggie vacuum - Casper TWO TIME VETERINARIAN hospital CHAMPION! First time surgery - over $1200.00 and he swallowed his leather collar, with 3 metal tags (rabies, ID tag, and AKC scan tag), part of a milk jug we have NO idea how he'd gotten, and a plastic bag or something unidentifiable. The vet gave us back the tags, but kept the 22" collar. The Xray hung in the office for a long time with a note that said - "BUY OUR COASTAL NYLON COLLARS and save your dog from SURGERY!" The leather has salt in it - and the older dog chewed the collar like a rawhide while we were gone and when it was off? Casper ate it. Three days later, shivering, and sickly looking we rushed him to the vets. THEN two years ago for Christmas he was given a rubber duck. The interim vet said it was cancer - a mass. I nearly passed out. Casper is the other 1/2 of my heart. The girls in the office shot the xray picture thinking otherwise - to the Vet at a conference and in less than 1 hour - we rushed Casper to the vet for emergency surgery for removal of a rubber duck - at $800.00. (guess second surgeries are cheaper?)

We've had tongues sewn back on, jaws reattached, ears fixed, - our list goes on and on - (we also fostered for years) oh wait - we have that DOG----we still foster. And we trained for years, and showed for year, and when I had breast cancer surgery? (turned out not to be which was good) The doctor joked and said "When we opened you up you know what we found? Dog hair, no cancer - just dog hair." Okay great - everyone's a commedian. So I told him he was a boob. I don't think he liked my joke.

ANyway - with your little terrier? I'd try the marrow bones, and if you can call around and get a good price on a teeth cleaning? I'd have it done. It will make your dog feel better for certain. If you can't find any of those products in France call a reputable dog food company there and ask them what they recommend for tartar build up. But for sure you're safe with the bones - hip sockets especially.

Star*

call 911........call 911
KATHY - THANKS SO MUCH - OMG I love PUblix but never thought to ask them for Marrow Bones - I'm going Tuesday for bones!!!!!! I hope ours does cut those for the kids! -----I'll be POPULAR MOM!!!! Until Dad does something SPECTACULAR like bring out the Peanut butter. UGH

DammitJanet

LOL Star on the bones. Nina loves it when Tony goes hunting. She gets the bones. Tony takes what he doesnt give her right then and puts some in the freezer but then takes the rest of the junk way back in the woods away from the house to the back of our 8 acres. Every so often she will come dragging some piece of carcass back in the yard. A skull, a leg, whatever. lol.

Malika

You see, Pup is just... so GOOD. After a few trial runs, she now lets me brush her teeth with the mint toothpaste (stupid idea, should be marrow flavoured). She is clearly not that keen but she is compliant. A pd.

InsaneCdn

Well. when you get toward the bottom of that tube, get the "right" flavor next time... and she'll be grrreatly grateful.

Malika

Yes, I will :)
Oh - and I bought her two lots of bones. One, rawhide things that she won't touch, the other a real one that she likes very much.
Never thought I'd fall in love with a dog! She's such a sweet and gentle spirit.

InsaneCdn

Yes, I will :)
Oh - and I bought her two lots of bones. One, rawhide things that she won't touch, the other a real one that she likes very much.
Never thought I'd fall in love with a dog! She's such a sweet and gentle spirit.

Something about certain dogs... I know what you mean. You'd love our two, too - so would J.

donna723

Malika, if she does decide to try out the rawhide, I'd be very, very careful with it. Rawhide chews should only be given to them if you can watch them every minute while they're chewing on them. It can be a significent choking hazard to them, especially small dogs. When they chew on the rawhide it softens up and lots of dogs will try to swallow big pieces of it whole. Ragan, my oldest Boston, almost died from choking on rawhide! She had one of those "bones" that's just a long strip of rawhide with knots tied on both ends. She chewed it until it was all soft and gummy, then tried to swallow the whole thing! She wasn't making any noise but I saw she was in real distress and was struggling. I looked in her mouth and saw the rawhide way in the back of her mouth. I grabbed it and pulled and the whole strip came out! She had tried to swallow the whole thing - one end was in her stomach and the other end was in her mouth and it was completely blocking her airway! A few more minues and I would have lost her. That was the last time any of mine ever got rawhide!