Everytime difficult child swears

Wiped Out

Staff member
he has to write 100 times, "I will not swear."

It's been interesting. He did this this the other night and has had to do it three times today (we've been doing it since Tuesday so actually he appears to be cutting down on his swearing).

This afternoon he told me he wasn't going to do it. I didn't argue, just said fine but that he couldn't do anything else til he was done. He was really angry but I absolutely refused to talk with him about it. By the time we got home (we were on our way back from school) he sat down and wrote it (only mildly complaining at times).

Tonight he wasn't so happy. He had called me a "B" and then said another swear word. He was so angry about having to write. I thought we were in for a huge meltdown.

He threw down a chair, kicked it into the living room and threatened to punch me, even going so far as to act like he was going to several times but stopped short of actually doing it. Again husband and I didn't argue with him, just told him he wasn't going to get to do anything else until he finished. husband did tell him if he punched me he would call the police. This went on for about 15 minutes.

Eventually he settled down and, despite some complaints, he is sitting down and writing as I write this. It seems to almost be calming him down.

On one hand, I'm frustrated that he had any meltdown and did any threatening, on the other hand, the fact that he didn't actually punch me and he is writing is a good thing.

shad16_12

its like cornering a wild animal...they come out fighting but eventually they submit...lol. As long as he doesnt like the discipline its discipline...Hopefully it helps...sonja

Jena

your right it is a good thing, there is postiive in the mix of the meltdown and you found it.

you always have a way of doing that, finding the positive in a totally stressful difficult child episode. that's great, it's your overall attitude that's making it work. i love the writing thing and the fact that your actually getting him to do it.

maybe he's channeling that anger and rage into the paper and the words.

you go with your bad self warrior mom!!! ooh his little hand must be hurting lol.

(((Hugs)))

p.s. i think i'm giong to try that as well the writing thing. good idea!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
On one hand, I'm frustrated that he had any meltdown and did any threatening, on the other hand, the fact that he didn't actually punch me and he is writing is a good thing.

I guess we count our blessings wherever we find them! ;) And he did finally do what he was supposed to do, right? Progress, not perfection...

Hope the weekend goes better.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! I am pleasantly surprised he has not sworn today, he has been no angel but is choosing his words more carefully for now anyways!