Exhaustion is winning

meowbunny

Since Central Florida doesn't believe in paying living wages regardless of your skill level ($12.50 is considered a GOOD wage), I started my own business. I do a little of everything -- from house watching to weeding and everythng in between.

Well, for the past four days I have been a night "companion" to a recently-widowed lady with mild Parkinson's and beginning stages of paranoid dementia. I'm not supposed to do anything but sleep there so that if she has a nightmare, she can have someone make her feel safe. She has someone staying with her 6 hours every day -- these girls are supposed to do light housecleaning, fix her meals, take her shopping, etc.

So, here's how my night goes: arrive around 9:30 pm, get her to open the door to let me in; check the laundry to make sure there's nothing there that needs folding; help her change into night clothes; turn on the heat; start washing dishes; fix her a snack; turn off the heat; help her change into different night clothes; and so on and so forth. Once I get her to bed, all is well for the next 3 hours. Then she'll come and wake me to make sure I'm there. This happens at least twice a night.

Of course, during the day I'm busy running around trying to do all my regular stuff and answering her phone calls when she's bored or lonely.

I'm hoping I can make it to the 23rd when her son comes to move her to Colorado. I feel so bad for her. She really is a sweet woman but she is as demanding as a 3 YO.

I have no idea why I'm posting this. Guess I needed to whine somewhere and you guys are it and I'm almost punch drunk already. Sorry!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh my gosh...you should vent and you should be tired! The being woken up is so not good for you. I wake a lot and my brain starts getting wonkey after a couple of days...

F

flutterbee

No wonder we haven't seen you around. I was just going to post today to see where you've been.

You have got to be exhausted. Try to carve out a little time for yourself each day.

(((hugs)))

Jena

Good for you though, you got creative in how to make money! That is great!!!!

Her being demanding that is rough! You need some rest, how many days a week do you get off?? so you can rest.

Also, your doing a good deed and getting paid at same time and officially an entrenpuenr (ok i totally misspelled that) LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
sooooooooo sleeping in a rubber Halloween mask at night is NOT an option for gettin' some sleep?

OH COME ON.... I WAS JUST THINKING OF MEOW.......eesch.......

Bravo kid - I knew you'd figure out something!

Remember it's ONE cookie for EACH hand.......and did I read it right? She changes night clothes 2x? How about choices - lay out 2 outfits and tell her to pick (like a 3 year old) and then tell her that's it.....

meowbunny

roflao ... I wish she only changed twice in one night and I do limit her two outfits if I can. But it goes like this: "this t-shirt is too bindng;" "these shorts are too tight;" "I'm cold and need long pants;" "I'm hot. Just t-shirt and panties." and so on and so forth. The best is that she usually ends up butt nekkid. I'm soooo lucky. 70+ YO women should not walk around with no clothes on even in the privacy of their own homes.

Well, off to face the world. Today's schedule has been: leave C's house at 7:00 am; get home and wake up daughter (she's visiting); wait for termite inspection at one house; have door replaced at another; give weed/trimming estimate; pack up a few boxes; call client to see when leaving so I know when to go feed her cats; play Mah-Jongg at 7:00. So, I'm off to feed the cats and see if I can catch one client to get my money for watering her plants for two weeks.

At least I can't say this is boring. Doesn't pay well but it all adds up and I get to make my own hours. But the 23rd can't come soon enough.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Awww, MB. Look at it this way. What a nice thing you are doing for someone. It's got to really stink to get to that point in your life when you can't care for yourself or make rational decisions. I really do think that many of the elderly that are in that state DO know what is happening to them but can't erase the simple fact of time. That must be so frustrating.

It's like the current thread of memory loss. Yes, there are things you can do to slow it down, but there comes a time when you go from slowing it down to coping with it and it PO'S YOU OFF TO DO THAT.:mad:

I'm glad you're making some money with this job, but you're probably making much more than you know. You're her security blanket. She just can't say that and is making excuses (I need a new nightie) to show it. Hopefully her son will be able to provide a loving, secure place for her.

Abbey