tandcg

My son has just been weaned off of Depakote because it was causing him to have pretty bad tremors.

The doctor now wants to start him on Trileptal. Does anyone have any experience with this drug?

He'd be using it along with Abilify (20 mg) and Wellbutrin.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My husband takes it primarily for seizure control, however, he has a mood disorder (unofficially) and it has done wonders for evening out his mood swings. He is better able to organize his thoughts and expresses his emotions more clearly. He does not have temper tantrums anymore (huge!) and he is not nearly as impulsive as he used to be. He is also not as obsessive about the things he used to be preoccupied with. Overall, it's made him a much happier, more balanced person.

The most significant side effect for him has been somnolence/sedation.

tictoc

Hi,
My son started Trileptal about 3 months ago and it has been great. He was irritable, aggressive, and having a lot of tantrums/oubursts on a daily basis before he started it. We saw gradual improvement after about 4 weeks on Trileptal. He is now at 900 mg/day and is doing better than ever before. We just had his annual IEP meeting yesterday and everyone at the school said they saw great improvement, too.

My difficult child takes 450 mg in the morning and 450 mg at night. We really haven't seen any side effects. It doesn't seem to make him sleepy during the day. However, he is sleeping much, much better since he started taking it. He is now asleep by 8:30 every night, instead of 10:00 or later.

Good luck.

my difficult child #1 takes it strictly for seizure issues and i've never seen him happier. he's had zero side effects. i didnt know that it was used as a mood stabilizer until recently. my difficult child 1 doesnt have mood issues, and is generally a happy guy, but on trileptal, he's even happier. (and, as an added bonus in our case, nary a seizure since starting it...which is a good thing since its the reason for taking it, LOL!)
in fact, i've decided to continue with it even though he *might* not need it for seizures anymore (seizures were related to a brain abscess, not epilepsy)
hope it works out as well for your difficult child!!

lmf64

My son has taken trileptal for a couple of years now. He did depakote when he was younger and has been on and off abilify a couple times. We are playing with the idea of taking him off it now as he's matured greatly and is doing extremely well. He takes geodon now and psychiatrist and I think it's time to wean him off trileptal and see how it goes. He's never had any bad reactions to it, but takes so many medications we hope he can do okay without it.