Experiences with children and dogs?

muttmeister

Best dog I ever had was a cockapoo. Had her before first difficult child was born and when we brought him home from the hospital she decided he was hers and continued in that light through second difficult child and on for the rest of her life. The only problem we ever had with her was that she didn't like it when we disciplined the boys but she was never aggressive about it even then. She saved difficult child 1 when he fell out of his cradle (saw what was going to happen and ran and let him fall on her). She was an all-round wonderful dog. It is not necessary to get a pure bred to get a good family dog. She was small enough to not hurt them but big enough that they didn't hurt her by accident.

Malika

As far as I know, there are no dog rescue organisations like that here - at least not in this area; you take the dogs straight from the rescue society dog pound. I went there with J when they had an open day - literally dozens of concreted cages filled with dogs; one of the helpers told me they were mostly abandoned by people who had bought them (perhaps as pets for children for Christmas) and then realised they didn't want to pay the cost of kennels when they went away on holiday... the French are not known as animal lovers. Some of them looked so very sweet - but I imagine with a rescue dog, one is going into the unknown. Bit like adopted children :)
I talked about dogs this morning with J and said "one day we'll have a dog." He nodded - "yes, when I'm bigger!" was his surprisingly sensible comment. So, we will take our time...

Fran

Former desparate mom
Malika, sounds like difficult child is sensible.
by the way, my dogs are all rescues. The first two I visited and spent a few hours every week. They are a big breed and I wanted to make sure I had the skill to adopt them and give them what they need. After having them for almost 4 yrs I can really appreciate how wise that was. Just like raising difficult children or even easy child's, it took research, reading and understanding why the do what they do. My first question in rearing kids and dogs is "what do they need?"

Malika

Thanks very much, Suz (any luck with meeting Richard yet?) I did try the selector breed quiz but my internet connection is so slow that it couldn't handle it - broadband has however just arrived in the village so once I have had it installed, away we go :)
Was just talking to some English people in the village (dog lovers, of course). They asked me whether I was getting a dog or a *****. I had not even thought of this angle! They said a ***** is much better for a child and for integrating into a family. Does anyone have any views about that?

TerryJ2

Not sure what the asterisks are, unless it is a female dog? And it got bleeped? Funny, now that system works.

I've always been told that females are more docile and easier to train. I will agree that males can be more aggressive and more energetic, but overall, if you're going to train the dog anyway, I don't think it's that big of a difference.

TerryJ2

Malika, if you get a dog from the rescue, make sure you know the history, who relinquished it, and why. That is SO important! I've done lots of rescues, and 2 breeders, and it makes a difference.
My biggest mistake was adopting a dog that was beautiful, and which I felt sorry for. Never, never, never adopt a dog you feel sorry for. Even if you know it's going to be put down the next day and you're panicking. Especially with-a difficult child. You are doing this for your child and your family, not the dog. Really. Grow a rhino skin. Be tough.

Malika

I am now all connected up to broadband - what a difference! - and have been able to look at the info re dog breeds and choice. Seems like a toy poodle would be a good fit... Anyone had any experience of these??

muttmeister

I had a toy poodle. She was a wonderful dog. Poodles are very intelligent and lots of fun. I'm not sure about a toy with a kid though. You might want to go with a miniature. They are still small but a little bigger and sturdier and less likely to be nervous around a kid (who, if he is like most kids, can be a little rambunctious even when he is trying to be gentle).

BusynMember

I'm a dog fanatic and have found that small dogs IN GENERAL are not happy with touchy feely kids. I would, if I had a young child, get a pug, if I wanted a small dog. They are one of the few dogs that like kids and can handle kid handling (of course every dog is different). Actually, shetlands are very small and mellow dogs too. But they like to herd.

I have a chihuahua-mix who is only ten pounds. Kids love him and he loves kids, BUT, even as small as he is, he has almost knocked over kids up to five years old with his exuberance and his love of jumping on them. You should be committed to keeping the dog...he should not be an experiment. He becomes part of the family.

good luck!

Malika

Miniature poodles sound good - only small snag is that they seem to cost, bought from breeders, going on for a thousand euros. Not sure how many dollars that is but it is more than I have surplus to requirements at the moment... :) I suspect I will end up getting a Heinz 57 from the local dog pound - after making sure that it looks like it's going to be a good fit. I feel quite excited. Have never owned a dog but think it could be fun. Yes, MWM, point well taken - a dog is for life, not just for Christmas...

rejectedmom

The best disposition I ever encountered in a dog was my first mutt and my current dog which is a basset hound. MY basset is a large guy though and he drools in the heat and sheds alot year round. If this is not an issue for you then I would highly recommend a basset. They are affectionate and great family pets. They are not guard dogs though. Mine rarely barks and when he does it is because he wants to go inor out a or eat. That is is. He is affectionate to a fault. Everone I encounter says what a sweet and good dog my furguy is.

Malika

Bassett hounds are sweet. :) The shedding would be a problem though as I am a bit allergic.
Saw some friends who have whippets this morning. They seem like such a calm, placid, "poised" dog. Good with children?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Labs tend to be big goofy & sweet dispositioned. And as others mentioned, their tail can clear a table in one wag. I love Boxers ~ had one for almost 14 years (boxer mix actually). They are good natured & very loving with kids. Not quite as big as a Lab but much bigger than mini poodles.

I'm currently the proud owner of a CKC spaniel - a good dog yet tends not to be a family dog. Lenny is a one person dog. That would be another deciding factor in choosing a dog. There are some dogs/breeds that are family & others that are a one person dog.

Good luck