Explosion. I need some patience....

Beads

My daughter just finished (I hope) freaking out. She wanted to watch a movie when I was watching one that I need to return to someone. She could watch TV in the other room, like she had been, but no. I suggested some alternatives, but no. Nothing worked. She hit me and threw stuff at me and spit on me and threatened several times to kill me. This went on for about half an hour or so.

I don't know how I endure this every single day. I left her dad because he acted that way. I have to just endure this horrible, abusive behavior, though. We're in parent child interactive therapy and she's in counseling, but still. It's so awful.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am so tired and so sick of it. Did I mention that this is the third day in a row that she has stayed home from school with a sore throat? That's a little too much 'quality time' for me...

lordhelpme

i know it is hard. i have been kicked, bit, punched and hit in the head with-a thrown shoe. it is upsetting when it is your sometimes loving child.

hang in there and i suggest later maybe you can dig into some ice cream or have some chocolate :)

smallworld

Welcome! I'm glad you found us.

Sorry for all the questions, but your answers will help us point you in the right direction for help.

What kind of doctor diagnosed your daughter with ODD? Since it's in the family tree, have epilepsy and depression been ruled out?
Does your ex have a diagnosis? Any other mental health issues or substance abuse in the family tree?
Does your daughter have any developmental or speech delays?
Any sensory issues (sensitivity to clothing tags, loud noises, food textures or smells, for example)?
How does she do in school, both academically and with peers?

You might want to get your daughter checked out for strep. The bacteria in rare cases has been known to cause behavioral changes.

Again, welcome. I know you'll find a lot of support here.

tiredmommy

Hi and welcome. :smile: You will receive a lot of support here. Did your ex have a mental health diagnosis? And has your daughter been evaluated or are you just seeing the counsellor?

Sunlight

beads, my son acts like his dad. hence he is outta here and I watch caller ID and will not answer his calls to be verbally abused. then again, my son is 23 and old enough to be on his own. I feel for you, your child is young and you need some help to get you thru the next years ahead. I am glad you guys are in counseling.

((((HUGS)))))

Wiped Out

Staff member
Beads,
Welcome-glad you found us-you have truly found a soft place to land. I know how hard it is when our kids are violent. Hugs to you-stick around-you will find much support here.

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #006600"> welcome.

while often the first diagnosis given you need to be aware that ODD rarely, if ever, stands alone. the symptoms are usually caused by a comorbid disorder....adhd, depression, bipolar, etc. i would strongly recommend she be seen by a child psychiatrist &/or a neuropsychologist (for extensive testing). you might want to consider a multidisciplinary evaluation done by a team of experts at either a childrens' hospital or a university center. it's essential you get a more clear-cut diagnosis.

a clearer diagnosis will lead to better interventions & treatment.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

G

guest3

Gee I am stuck home with both of my difficult child's who have sore thoats (perhaps it is a difficult child conspirecy)

I have been told to call police or mobile response when difficult child II gets physically abusive, but I won't, because it will just mean about a 6-8 hour wait at the ER for a Emergency psychiatric evaluation.

I guess I myself am feeling rather hopeless these days, but it has to get better right?