Extremely stressed and worn out

tiredmommy

How can an eight year old put me in such a state? She has been horrid and disagreeable since getting out of school all because she couldn't have a play date tonight because I had a meeting. She raged and taunted me over homework. She didn't want my help one minute and claimed I wouldn't help her the next. Stomping, yelling, screaming, knocking stuff over. She even gouged the seat of a dining room chair with a pencil. It went on for 1.5 hours.

And then... Poof! She was so sorry she had behaved poorly. :rolleyes: It was over for her but not for me. I couldn't eat because I felt sick to my stomach and I got a stress headache I still can't shake. She is the sweetest kid in the world to everyone else but treats me like a pile of trash.

I really wish I weren't scheduled to go on the class field trip tomorrow. I just want to run away.

M

ML

Tiredmommy you must be extra tired tonight. These difficult children can wear us down soo far. Please get some extra sleep tonight if you can. Hugs, ML

Janna

Sounds like there needs to be a "TM Day". Easier said than done.

I'm sorry you feel like you're the punching bag. I'm right there with you. I'm told it's because they feel most comfortable with us. Lucky huh?

I have Xanex if you wanna stop by.

tiredmommy

Thanks ML, I'm going to bed soon. The problem is that my head is hurting so bad that I'm getting nauseous when I close my eyes.

Janna, I'd gladly drive 6+ hours to pick up a Xanax from you but husband is out of town so I can't leave her alone. :(

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sorry to hear how bad you are feeling.
I always thought my easy child was so incredibly self controlled that he saved it all for me. He would get in the car and just fall apart. He didn't have anything good to say. Whew, I'm glad those days are gone. Sort of.

Hope tomorrow will be better.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Aww TM,
I hate when they act like this. I hope tomorrow is much better. Sounds to me like you deserve a day of pampering. Gentle hugs.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh TM, so sorry she's being such a pill! Hmmm, how about threatening to take away her email privileges? She seems to be enjoying the messaging with easy child, so maybe you can leverage that... just a thought. easy child would understand.

Any chance she's coming down with the bug you're getting over?

Hope your head feels better and that the field trip tomorrow goes smoothly. I know she's been looking forward to it!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
TM,

kt saves those "feelings" for me as well. It's enough to drive a sane woman off the edge.

If you can ditch the field trip tomorrow I'd do it. You've not been feeling well & it sounds like you & Duckie can use a break from one another.

Hope you head is feeling better soon & difficult child gets a grip. ;)

Janna

Didn't know your husband was gone! Wonder if that's the root?

My kids always act worse when SO's not around. Always....

slsh

member since 1999
Aw TM - a gentle hug. I swear there were days when I honestly wondered if difficult child thought it was a spectator sport, to see how fast he could get me spinning. Up and down and all around, yes, no, I love you, I hate you, help me, get away - all in the space of... oh 20 seconds or so. Then he'd want a hug. ARGH!!!!

I guess the good news (or is it bad, LOL) is that 10 years later, I remember those days almost fondly and can chuckle (wryly) over how completely nuts it could be around here.

Hang in there - hope today is *much* better!

TerryJ2

Oh, TM, I have SO been there done that!!!!
These kids get over things in the blink of an eye and we take much longer to recover.
It is a bit easier to detach as you get older (or should I say, as the kids get older :) ).
Is there any way, in the future, that you could get her to her rm when she is raging like that? At least it will protect the furniture.

LOOKING FOR SANITY

LIVING 1 DAY AT A TIME
oh, that sounds so fimiliar to the days at our house. I always find it amazing how quickly the calm can follow the storm. Just in the blink of an eye its over just like that, and it leaves you feeling just so overly drained sometimes like you dont even have enough energy left to breath. All of mine are so much more of a handful when husband is not home and he works afternoons, so i have the pleasure of all afternoon with all the little angels by myself. Anyway, hope your day goes better today.

B

bran155

I am so sorry. I know what you mean. My daughter will freak out on me, curse at me, throw things around, threaten me and then when it's over for her she expects me to bounce right back into the loving mommy mode!!! Just doesn't happen for me that way. Sometimes I wish I had mood swings so that I could adjust as well as her, ya know?

I hope today is a better day for you.

(((HUGS)))

KTMom91

I'm so sorry, TM. I remember those days all too well. Hope you were able to get some rest, and that the field trip goes well.

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. I survived the field trip. Duckie's teacher had me sit at the back of the bus to maintain order among the boys. She said she asked me because I'm good with kids, especially the difficult ones. :hammer:

I came home and took a little nap. I picked up Chinese for dinner, and we'll head out to Brownies later. I'm still worn out, but the headache is getting better. For her part, Duckie seems to get that I'm deeply disappointed in her. I took away her allowance (she had $10 saved) and her Build-A-Bears and American Girl Dolls. She knows that her Littlest Pet Shop stuff and DS are next. I also warned her that there would be no activities next year if she didn't start being compliant about homework and improve her attitude. That's no cheer, Brownies, American Girl club, science club, or gymnastics. She won't start anything new either. I also explained that school and homework is her job and responsibility, not mine. I've already successfully completed second grade.

I hope to get to bed early tonight. I'm back at school in the morning for the kindergartner's 100th day of school. It's one of my favorite days because I get to help all the kindergartners frost cutout cookies.

Thanks again, it's good to be reminded that I'm not alone in this.

Steely

I swear there were days when I honestly wondered if difficult child thought it was a spectator sport, to see how fast he could get me spinning. Up and down and all around, yes, no, I love you, I hate you, help me, get away - all in the space of... oh 20 seconds or so. Then he'd want a hug. ARGH!!!!
How unbelievably true!!! (And funny.)

I am so sorry you had to endure this last night. Those kind of migraines are the worst - especially when you they are triggered by emotional madness.

I am glad today is better. Sounds like you implemented a good combo of discipline and consequences.

Hugs.