Facebook and Piglet

InsaneCdn

Do YOU have access to her FB? can you see her wall, do you know who's on her friends list?
if there is some way to monitor the activity, its safer...

JJJ

Oh, I absolutely have access to her facebook. In fact, husband and I are the only ones that have the password. I logged in for her on her iPod.

She is very much a easy child and seems to be making really good choices so I think she has earned a bit more trust. Plus I think I am going to like the peek into her life. She's had a facebook account for a couple of years but in the past has only been allowed on it with me. Her iPod is only wifi so she's pretty limited as to where she can log on.

She wants to (eventually) have a smart phone so this is another step in managing her social network.

Her smile when I showed her it on her iPod was so beautiful, she lit up the room :)

T

TeDo

Sounds like you're doing everything right. I only VERY recently let mine have FB at all. I have their logins and passwords and have been monitoring very closely. I have set up strict rules with them and so far, they are abiding by them because I have laid down specific (and unliked) consequences should they break them.

Good for you. I totally understand your worry even though she is a easy child. In today's world, you can NEVER be too careful.

DammitJanet

Life is so much more complicated than it was even 15 years ago...lol. I didnt have to worry so much about all this FB stuff. I never even imagined it. I was just trying to keep Cory from running up my house phone!

I would have never even considered giving a 5 year old a cell phone when mine were that age but I just bought Keyana one and sent it off with her. We shall see how it goes. Thankfully I know she doesnt know a thing about FB yet...lol.

JJJ

Just updating that Piglet is doing great with her new priviledges! A few minor issues with some late night posts when she should have been sleeping and I had to delete one post a boy put on her wall (profanity at a 3rd person, in 'fun') and one of her posts on a friend's wall (her post was ok but the thread spiraled out of control and I wanted her name out off it).

So glad that she is doing so well :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Some kids can handle this kind of thing!

J is technically old enough, but he has no interest...

Mattsmom277

Glad the boundaries for her fb use are holding up, that she's sticking to them.

easy child's classmates have used FB for probably the past 2 years. I only broke down and allowed easy child to get it earlier this year. It wasn't that I don't trust easy child, she's so easy child that her usage doesnt' worry me. I was more worried about her adding strangers from games or something. Or other kids using it in not so good ways and her being suckered in. So far so good here. No problems. I made sure that we have her login information and password and made it clear her bio dad and step mom would also have access to the login details. I've told her that I'll slowly begin to check up on her less often, as this is a tool she can use to earn trust and responsability without constant oversight. But its also clear if she violates any of the big rules I have about FB, that I won't be allowing her access for a minimum of 6 months, at which time we can see if she is mature enough to try again. I'm glad there's been no problems. She struggles a bit socially. Since joining her classmates and teammates on FB, she is gaining stronger friendships in real life and that alone makes it worth letting her give FB a try.

Janet, my word! I can't imagine a 5 year old with a cell phone lol. But I am old enough to remember no cell phones and when the basic beginner computers started turning up in homes. So I admit to struggling with how young kids are getting involved with electronics. My easy child must hate me if 5 year olds are toting cell phones! I've told her that she can have one for her 13th birthday. That it will be a basic and inexpensive phone with few features to start with. Even still I feel nuts getting her one at 13 when her birthday comes. Maybe this is why I'm told by the kids I am stuck in the dark ages lol

InsaneCdn

My easy child must hate me if 5 year olds are toting cell phones! I've told her that she can have one for her 13th birthday. That it will be a basic and inexpensive phone with few features to start with. Even still I feel nuts getting her one at 13 when her birthday comes. Maybe this is why I'm told by the kids I am stuck in the dark ages lol

If you're stuck in the dark ages... then I must be a dinosaur.

The kids will be allowed to get cell phones when they have regular jobs so they can afford to pay for it.

JJJ

If you're stuck in the dark ages... then I must be a dinosaur.

The kids will be allowed to get cell phones when they have regular jobs so they can afford to pay for it.

That is what I used to think. Around here it is the expectation that the kids will have cell phones. After away meets, the school tells parents that their kids will call them 15 minutes before arrival back at the school. The high school has a line on the registration form for "student cell phone" and they get blasts from the school.