Fainted at work. Scared.

BusynMember

You should have your ears checked. I just remembered this. I used to get dizzy all the time, especially when I was in certain positions. You can have calcium deposits that settle in your middle ear and can make you really dizzy. I went to a doctor (ENT) who set me up for a procedure to correct it. It makes you really dizzy while he's doing it! I felt like I was on some carnival ride! I haven't been dizzy since, which is why I forgot. It's VERY common. Maybe worth a try?

TerryJ2

Jody, I'm sorry I missed this. I'm glad that you're feeling better! And happy that you hired a housekeeper. I'm so sorry about your daughter. I know the feeling of utter disappointment.
Definitely have the other items checked out, involving vertigo. You never know.
{{hugs}}

DDD

MWM was that called something like Meniers Disease? Back when I had the vertigo (in my 30's0, a friend had an ear disorder that was called "something" like that and she got better before I did. I'd forgotten about that too. Yikes, old age is hell. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
I have had dizzy spells for decades and it took a really excellent chiro to figure it out. My dad and daughter also have them and they come and go for years all through life. J had her first at age 12 about when mine started. No clue when my dad's started. I don't know why my dad gets dizzy, but j and I get awful muscle spasms in our shoulders and neck and it ends up being so bad and causing enough swelling to compromise the amt of blood to our brains. The chiro I saw got a doctor to do some specialized testing and ti showed the blood vessels were narrowed when the muscles got to be like rocks. Of course it took over a decade of going to doctor after doctor and fnally asking the chiro if the muscle spasms could be contributing for him to do some research, to look at my migraine diary and to figure it out. Most docs will NOT believe me and either give me that "okay" that tells you they think you are full of bs or else flat out they say it cannot be that because the body would not cut of the blood to the brain because the brain would not allow it. Yeah, right, my brain is not that in control I guess. When you can see the blood vessels on ultrasound after they did other tests and there is a measurable difference in the size of the vessels when you are dizzy and when you are not, well, it is what it is even if the docs don't like it. J's dizzy spells ALL happen when her muscles are so tight that they are pulling her body out of shape. Sometimes the muscles will tighten to the point it pulls her head back and down toward her tush lke she is doing a backbend and it terrifies her because she cannot make it stop. Now that we know it happens, she comes to me or yells or has husband or thank you come get me so that I can work to loosen the muscles and brace them to stop it. I did a bunch of research into how the muscles work (the mechanics of which ones pull which way, etc...) and to do the trigger point work to help loosen the muscles so that I can help at least with the worst ones. Lately her hands and shoulders are spasming badly. Her hands tried to bend backward for most of last night. I was able to get them to bend forward, and to have her hold onto a length of soft fabric with some between her fingers and some in the palm so that the bones didn't grind against each other. As long as she didn't try to open her hand at all it would clench forward. If she tried at all to open her fingers they snapped into being pulled backward toward her wrist as though somone was bending them the wrong way. It is freaky to watch and so fast that you CAN see it happen.

So I do understand how scary the dizzy spells and fainting can be. been there done that but didn't have room to have a tshirt for each time it happened. There is a LOT the docs do not know. I do know that you can NOT EVER play with your blood pressure medications on your own. High blood pressure is incredibly dangerous and MUST be treated. I am lucky in that if my BiPolar (BP) goes above a certain level I can tell because I get a specific type of migraine. I get several different kinds and after decades of having at least fifteen a month I have learned how each feels and how they are different but it took me years to figure it out. If the medications are too much, call the doctor but do NOT play with them on your own. It is a great way to give yourself a stroke or kill yourself.

I do think a cleaning person is a great idea. Do invest that money and take it out of what yoru daughter wants as she won't do chores at home. this is exactly what the L&L books suggest, though they would have you make her pay the cleaner out of her money. I know that is more thna you can handle, so don't give her a phone or whatever and use that to pay the cleaner. Take it easy and take care of yourself because you cannot help anyone if you are not well.

(((((hugs)))))

FlowerGarden

You said you got dizzy when you stood up. Blood pressure usually drops as you stand. Google Orthostatic Hypotension and neurally mediated syncope. I was sick for a year before a doctor diagnosed me with neurally mediated syncope. What happens to me is that my blood pressure drops sporadically causing blood not to get to my brain. My brain panics that it's not getting enough blood and causes my heart to pump faster (creating my heart rate to increase) and then my blood pressure gets high. Luckily for me, my regular doctor was not in and I got seen by a covering doctor. He sent me to an endocrinologist thinking it was something with my glands, etc. After a week of testing in the hospital, he felt it was orthostatic hypotension and called in a cardiologist. The cardiologist balked about doing any testing. The endocrinologist forced him to do the test. At the start of the test I was told if my symptoms didn't happen in half an hour they'd give me medication to try to get the results. Well, 7 minutes into the test I had an attack. The doctor was stunned. So stunned, that he kept asking the person doing the test with him if she had given me the medication to try to bring on an attack. She shot back at him with something along the line of "of course not. We just started the test!". The cardiologist calls it neurally mediated syncope. It also happens to me a lot if I am standing too long, like standing at a store, waiting to checkout and also happens if I sit too long. It would happen when I would be sitting watching one of my kids soccer games. Hope you feel better soon.

Jody

Thank you for all of your replies. I went to see the cardiologists this morning and he agrees the atenolol did nto agree with me and maybe I was just too medicated. Blood pressure today was better than its been in years, a pretty much perfect 126/68. I havent had any faint spells but i do think I wait a little bit longer before i jump up to do something. My cardiologists told me that I would lose weight on this medicine and I lost 4 pounds the first week, and then 7 this last week. I am losing so much fluid that nothing is hurting right now, no swelling and I am able to get around better. I worked out in the yard for 5 hours on Saturday and did landcaping projects that I thought I was going to need help doing. I have never been prouder of myself, I did it all by myself!!!! Even if this doesn't continue I am so happy to have had a few days of no pain and mobility. He said that 11 pounds is like 30 lbs off the knees. Thank you for all your suggestions, I love this board and my friends here. You are a big help to me.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sooooo glad it was just the medication and nothing else!! Also glad you've gotten rid of some of the excess fluid and are feeling better that way too. (I know how big a difference that makes :) )

FlowerGarden

Glad to read your update. It's great that you are feeling better and doing things you didn't think you would be doing alone. Sounds like you found a great medication fit.

Jody

Thank you so much. I am still in awe that I am moving about like this. I am just so thankful for these good days. Usually I can't even bend my knees much but right now I have them very much bent and under my chair. I haven't had that kind of mobility in years. I feel strong, now that I feel well. It's so strange there have been nights in the last month that I felt so weak, I would not wake up in the morning, that I might just drift off in my sleep. But a couple of weeks without one medication and I feel strong and capable. If my knees weren't bone on bone, I would feel like a normal person without chronic pain. I have been praying for just a day to remember how that feels, and I was given several days of feeling amazing. I couldn't ask for anything more. It's wonderful. I made one other change other than the medicine, I am drinking almost a gallon of water a day. Don't know if it has much to do with it, but if I dont drink a pop and I drink water instead not nearly as much aching. Thats the high fructose corn syrup that irritates my fibro.