Family Fracas

F

flutterbee

I can't get past the milk spilled into the furniture and not cleaned up. Can you imagine how bad that smells? Then with the dog poo. I have such a sensitive sniffer...I wouldn't be able to stand it.

I don't mean to sound like a snob. As a single mother with children who think things pick themselves up :rolleyes:, I know how exhausting it is and how fast it can spiral out of control. Then it becomes overwhelming and you don't even know where to start. Son-in-law needs to talk to his mom. He needs to explain that it is not sanitary and he will not expose his child to it. His mother can either be offended and get angry or decide that having her son and grandchild over is more important. And the kids at home need to be whipped into shape about helping and cleaning up after themselves. If she's receptive to your son-in-law, maybe your daughter and he can come over and help her get started. Once it's done, maintaining isn't so hard. It's the initial cleaning that's overwhelming.

I have a former friend whose house would get like that - and very quickly. Her children never picked up anything - wrappers thrown on the floor, they would get ketchup on the table and noone would clean it up, everything was sticky. She would try, but couldn't keep on top of it and noone was consistent with the kids - especially her husband - about picking up after themselves. When I would go over to play cards, I would ask for the windex bottle and wipe down the table and chairs before sitting. I am also friends with her (now former) husband and he would come over to my house and just leave stuff all over the place. I'd just look at him and say, 'does that go there?'...like I do with my kids. :rofl:

The first floor of her house was hardwood. I walked in one day to find her sweeping with a push broom. I started laughing and couldn't stop. I'd never seen anyone use a push broom in the house before...only in the garage or a store. It was very effective, though.