Family of Origin (FOO) Support Thread Part 2

BusynMember

On some level, we believed them.
This IS the real problem. And on many levels, I wonder why we believed them. I have tried to figure it out, but I can't. If a stranger had lobbed the silly things at me that my mother did, I would have rolled my eyes and forgotten it. But...well, it was Mom. I formed in her womb...ick, wish I hadn't, but I did. So I guess that's the issue.

Still. Why did I still buy her words when I was an adult, when I was so certain of her abuse and spoke openly about it to my therapists and in self-help groups. Why didn't I just tell myself, "What do I care if Mom said I was selfish, lazy, no good, bad, etc.? She is one fry short of a Happy Meal and I don't believe half of what she claims. Why do I buy THAT about ME?"

Why?

Any insight?

Scent of Cedar *

Because I do not trust myself one bit to treat myself well, to keep my wanting with respect to my son in any reasonable balance (where I do not kill myself with worry). And most of all I do not want to be subjected to the cruel and vicious recriminations within me, as I react inside myself to my failure to anticipate, control, understand, foretell or in any way accept my son's behavior and choices...in a way that feels tolerable.

That's okay, Copa. You are posting about it. It isn't a shaming secret, anymore. The pain of what is happening with and to your child is real. The danger is real.

It's all really happening, right now, to someone you love more than you have loved anyone in all of your life.

There is no way to survive it.

Remember on Parent Emeritus Copa, when COM posts about a tool box? These times, when we literally cannot face what is...that is when we open that tool box. Even if we don't find anything in there this time to help us, signaling to our brains and our grief centers and all those hopeless darknesses within us that we are trying, that we do want to feel better...that can help, Copa.

One second, one breath, at a time.

Back to the tool box, to the quote box, to the place that we cry in shocked and wordless bereavement.

Elie Wiesel wrote something to this effect: Trying to describe some things in words profanes their sacred horror.

That is where you are now, Copa.

One second, one minute, one breath at a time.

There is no way to survive it.

So we accept.

I cannot get it. I do not control him. I cannot cure him. And it is not my fault. I want a brain transplant.
Or to stay in a half dream state for the rest of my half-woken life. If you think I am kidding, you are half-wrong.

Copa, that part about the brain transplant was funny.

And I really liked the half dream state, half-woken, half wrong comment, too.

:O)

Cedar

Scent of Cedar *

This IS the real problem. And on many levels, I wonder why we believed them. I have tried to figure it out, but I can't

I think it's because they broke and hurt us until we believed about ourselves the things they needed to believe about us so they could hurt us without feeling like a**holes. Their first betrayal of us was the one in their hearts. It was only after they compromised whatever values they held that they were able to hate with impunity.

And they did hate.

We were dehumanized. We were brainwashed little babies, beat and brainwashed little boys and girls. That is what our abusers spent their time doing to us when they should have been watching us grow and teaching and loving us and making us strong.

Each of us is so gifted.

What might we have accomplished?

If our abusers could have kept us in thrall to them for all of their tiny lives, they would have. I know this is so because my mother drew her arm back as though she were going to hit me when I was visiting her with two of my granddaughters.

And then she laughed.

I have posted about that, before.

She looks a little different now, without a jaw and with her nose turned into a Bozo nose.

Thank you, SWOT.

What she believed about me is what I then came to believe about myself: Fraudulent; that I will be found out, or that I will prove to be some kind of awful, untrustworthy stupidly swollen and ugly thing. That is the truth my own mother was determined to beat and break into the children she was fortunate to have birthed.

There are people who would do just about anything to have a baby, to raise a child.

Look what our mothers did with that incredible gift that we, each of us, were.

That is how weak and stupid abusive persons are: They see no value in anything ~ not their husbands or their friends or even their own babies or children or pets ~ except in how they will serve the abuser's greedy, endless, stupidly destructive power-over mentality.

I think we need to approach clearing this material in three ways.

1) Write each of the following phrases twelve times. This is from Joel Osteen, I think. It is meant to address the ego, superego and id. I have done this. You will be amazed how well it counters negative tapes you are unaware of.

Twelve times each.

No cheating.

I, write your full name, am the beloved daughter of the most high God.

She, give your full name, is the beloved daughter of the most high God.

You, give your full name, are the beloved daughter of the most high God.

2) Positive affirmation; things that are true. Catching ourselves especially when we have told ourselves we are something less than we know we are and replacing old negative automatic abuses. Whether you believe it or not, whether it feels accurate or like a lie, say one true thing to correct the tape.

This will turn out to be quite hard, actually. The "Who do you think you are." negatives will come roaring out of nowhere.

Do it, anyway.

Remember my story about "That'll do, pig."

That's what's under there, courtesy of our abusers. Don't let them win.

3) Music relative to your decision to fight and to change. For me, that was theme songs from Rocky. (Getting Strong Now; Eye of the Tiger.) It was clips from the Wizard of Oz. It was Simon and Garfunkel's The Boxer. It was Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Women Who Run With the Wolves) and her envisionment of the old, old woman who could, patiently and with intent, sing the bones alive.

It was poetry.

Seboulissa, mother goddess with one breast
eaten away by worms of sorrow and loss....

See me, now.

Your severed daughter, laughing our name into echo
all the world shall remember

Charlene Spretnak edited The Politics of Women's Spirituality. That is where I found that poem. Monique Wittig, I think.

Maria Harris' Dance of the Spirit.

I will post some other things for us, tomorrow.

Happy Hour, here.

Cedar

One more thing. Resolve to be kinder to yourself. Not kind. That is too much pressure. Only kinder.

It will have amazing results.

Have a good night, everyone.

Which are the stories or music or poetry that have worked for you?

Please post them here for us, okay?

Thank you.

BusynMember

SWOT, please forgive me. I don't like it when you disapprove.
OMG.
First of all, I felt bad because I thought YOU disapproved of me...lol. I'm not really happy about having to be on SSI.

I guess our inner children are both upset, Copa. But we both know where they came from.

Forget about that. It's not important. You are entitled to your feelings with regard to your son and I had no right to let my inner child throw a mild pity party.

I am not the least bit angry with you. How could I be? And I don't disapprove of anything you have ever said or done.

Let's set up a little fort for our inner girls to play together and, yes, I'm going to have a Barbie doll (take THAT, Mother) with a lot of cool clothes too!!!! :tongue: F U, to anyone who thinks Barbies, Thumbalena dolls and the old Chatty Cathys were too ugly to play with!!!!

allusedup

Hello again everyone, I got caught up reading about noon and come 5pm I was behind again, lol but I have been sitting on my patio LMFAO at you guys. I know my neighbours must think I am demented but I care not.

So much good content coming from here. I can see it in you Cedar and you too SWOT. I think anger is an important and necessary step here. Hell, I am still pissed. My father was the third dry drunk in this elite circle.
It was him that taught me that nothing I did was ever good enough. If I made a 99/100 on ALL of my finals in high school, the response he gave every single time was "why didn't you make a hundred?" And stupid me kept reporting every week and his response was always the same. I never cried over anything he ever said to me. I cried a river over how he treated and still treats, after almost 55 years of marriage, my mother. I still see both of them regularly and try to get along with him while I am there because of my mother. The woman should be canonized. His wonderful career was made wonderful largely because of her. Like I said earlier, she was too good for him. To kind, honest, decent, dedicated. What he deserved was some 7-11 whore who spent all his money and then left with everything she didn't spend. I think I have come to the point that if I outlive him and he dies, I will mourn the father I never had. But then I've already done that.

I have wanted to try some good scotch. Think I'll do that soon and say a toast to dear old dad from afar...FU, Pops!

nerfherder

Have you repaired the plumbing already, Nerfherder?

And I am curious to know how many hogs, if you don't mind? My grandmother had a farm, and there were hogs there.

The trench is dug out to fix the hydrant, we're putting in aditional hydrants down the line so might as well replace the faulty glued joint (I remember earlier this year being unsure of how well I got the pipe and coupler mated securely) with a T coupler. And right now we have an American Guinea Hog boar, an AGH sow, and two Kune Kune sows. Three AGHxKune kune boarlings, about two months away from their "Kill or Keep?" date, and two AGH boarlings about a week old. The little one I was bottle feeding was their sister. She died last night; turns out her case of "splay-leg" was a more serious connective tissue disorder and there was no way she'd live to maturity.

BusynMember

Thank you for inviting me, SWOT. I love dolls, especially paper dolls. I will bring a Tiny Tears.
Again, I am so sorry if I made you feel bad or ashamed or anything negative. I didn't mean to. Shame on me, actually.

I remember Tiny Tears and paper dolls!!!! I don't remember if I was allowed to have a Tiny Tears...I think that doll passed my mother's "not too ugly to own" list, but I'm not sure. Paper dolls I loved too. I so love the scenario of you and I and maybe everyone having a party with our inner child's favorite toys, loving them and hugging them the way we wished we'd been loved. Maybe on a beach? Why is the idea of a beach so calming. The splashing softly of waves upon the shore, I think. A setting sun in the background. The sweet smell of an old charcoal grill with hamburgers and hotdogs and brats (not "you're a brat, but Wisconsin brats) filling the air. Kind adult faces smiling at our fun.

Of course the faces are obscure as they are not our real mothers in younger days. They are the mothers we wanted to have. And, if it applies, the fathers we wished we'd had. Our kindly siblings are building sand castles and inviting us to join them, but we just want to play dolls and they are fine with that.

There is no drama. No strife. No namecalling.

If only....(sigh)

BusynMember

So much good content coming from here. I can see it in you Cedar and you too SWOT. I think anger is an important and necessary step here. Hell, I am still pissed. My father was the third dry drunk in this elite circle.
Hi, Belle. Pretty choice of a name. Maybe we can rename ourselves for this thread. Pick a name that defines us. I like Serenity, but that's so hard to type.

Anyhow, I think that after all these years finally committing the truth to writing and having others critique what happened to us so that we know we aren't crazy for thinking we were abused is critical to healing.

This is important. We often go out of our way to do things for our abusers and I'm sure, like me, we wonder why. I was not as giving that way as some here, but I did wonder w hy I kept calling my mother in her later years when she NEVER called me back. Surely I knew her fake "not-that-mean" voice when I called her was just an act, as she waited for the final punch. She wasn't nice to me at all usually so I must have known in the back of my mind that she wasn't being nice then. But I also, in the front of my mind, wanted to believe I was showing her that I loved her and hoping t hat she loved me back.

Well, that worked out well, one disinheritance/disowning later!!!!! I did not care about any money...she had little and that was not the point. The sheer hate she had for me was clear from the grave.

If I had been here, talking about my Hail Mary attempt to make it ok before my mother went on to the next world, perhaps I would have quit my silly attempt years before. Certainly, since she never once called me back or wanted me to come see her, it was pretty obviously a sign.

I do remember telling myself I'd try, even if it didn't work, because I believe that it's best to resolve things on earth rather than the next world, which I very much believe exists.

Yeah, well it wasn't going to happen here. I should have just disconnected after she tried to get me not to split my grandmother's small inheritance to my only biological son Bart. I couldn't do it. Morally. I had told my grandma t hat I would refuse to give money to one c hild and not all so she put it in my mother's name. My mother accepted the responsibility because she cared as little for my kids (she never saw them) as she cared for me. It is a long, ugly story but I totally refused to give her son's SSN to carry out the deed. I told her "If you want to do it, you'll do it yourself."

She was furious over this because it cost her about $100 year in taxes. No, she was not poor. She was just angry that I wouldn't carry out the divide/conquer wishes of my grandmother. She spoke of it nonstop to siblings, but even they refused to listen. That's how much it bothered her that I would not favor one child over the adopted children. Since my grandmother was gone and, although it certainly won't sound like it to those of you just checking in, it was time to let it all hang out on me...all the hate and meanness and anger in my mother's soul came out with that act of not listening to this mean attempt to favor one child over my others. See, usually my grandmother favored me so I was sort of protected. This last time...I believe since she saw what happened from her new home after death, she is sorry. But it caused my mother's last implosion on me. She probably decided right then to disown me. Not that it hadn't crossed her mind before that. After all, I did not blindly do her bidding.

My siblings said I abused her.

No, I didn't.

I just did not pretend everything was ok when it wasn't and that's cesrtainly against the rules in a dysfunctional family. In a dysfunctional family you shut up and pretend your family is normal and only the scapegoat is the ruination of it's perfection. The scapegoat was me.

My sister did not blame her severe and ongoing eating disorder on our mother and her constantly telling the girls "you're fat" comments. She loved on my mom. She did not blame her other troubles on her either, including her inability to bond with a loving man. She is in between t he ages of 50-60 and my sister still is with a very abusive man (five years and going strong) who can't love her back. She blames my father.

My father was never home.

I don't know her reason, but my mother was totally dismissive of Sis as a child. She ignored her, like she was a piece of air.

Off topic sort of notation: Although my sister cut me off for the tenth time for being "abusive" to her (I told her it hurt me too much and scared me too much to hear about her and abusive boyfriend's relationship so that I would not talk about it anymore) she has never cut off this alcoholic abusive man in their entire relationship. This tells me that her anger is not about being abused. I tried to help her, not abuse her. It is just more family crapola. If she was looking out for herself, this boyfriend would have been long gone. She even told me he was abusive over and over again. No, she was not "getting rid of you" for being abusive. It was more personal than that. Ok, moving on...

Golden Child Brother is very strange in his ways a nd has done many questionable things too. That's interesting. She lavished so much love on him I wonder if it was so much that he could never love anyone else as he has never had a live in lover in his entire between 50-60 years.

I'm getting off topic.

I'm sorry. I do that. I am free associating on my therapist's couch here.

You can too.

I'm going to sneak my Thumbalene doll into my magically big pocket before I go to work and bring her with me.

"The inner child is STRONG with this one!" Jedi Master

Last edited:

allusedup

That was beautiful Swot, I want to play too...I Love Serenity. I'll call you that from now on. I would like to expound or free associate on my siblings too but no time right now. I am going out of town for a couple of days. I have come to regard all of you as BETTER THAN family and wanted you to know why I'll be absent. I have come to depend on all of you and want you all to know I am not deserting any of you :)

Serenity, the thing your mother had was this I think....whether true or not, Jewish families are often thought to be very wealthy and even though your own family was well off, some people like maybe your mother think even if you have money, you can never have enough.

Love you guys...I'll check in while OOT if I can!

Scent of Cedar *

I have wanted to try some good scotch. Think I'll do that soon and say a toast to dear old dad from afar...FU, Pops!

It takes courage to name the issues and call the time. Good job!

What would happen, next? If your father knew and heard you? I keep my "F you, mom." in my saddlebag. But needlepoint would require intention, and I mean it. I mean the "F you, mom."

Remember that in this time, in this place, you are not alone. There are witnesses surrounding you now, women who will see what he does and hear what he says and challenge him for you when you cannot.

What did you need him to do, and what did he do, instead?

I never cried over anything he ever said to me. I cried a river over how he treated and still treats, after almost 55 years of marriage, my mother. I still see both of them regularly and try to get along with him while I am there because of my mother.

I don't cry, either. Only once in a while and I don't like it.

Misogyny permeates the air. To me it seems that there are men who hold all the prevailing belief systems, but love and are fascinated by all things female. They are delighted with us and they love to follow us around and they smile at how everything just is. And then, there are those men without joy in their hearts, and they hate and disparage and resent that thing that runs between men and women and are defeated by it and fight that by dominating and hating and keeping the focus on them.

Wherever they fit along that continuum, we need our fathers to be compassionate and true.

What he deserved was some 7-11 whore who spent all his money and then left with everything she didn't spend.

You can buy whores at 7-11?!?

America.

What a place!

"What he deserved was some 7-11 whore who spent all his money...."

I think I have come to the point that if I outlive him and he dies, I will mourn the father I never had.

Is your father actively abusive in his words and in his speech to you today, Belle?

The trench is dug out to fix the hydrant, we're putting in aditional hydrants down the line so might as well replace the faulty glued joint (I remember earlier this year being unsure of how well I got the pipe and coupler mated securely) with a T coupler.

Oh those T couplers.

I actually do know what a T coupler is. How extraordinary that you are doing this kind of work.

And right now we have an American Guinea Hog boar, an AGH sow, and two Kune Kune sows. Three AGHxKune kune boarlings, about two months away from their "Kill or Keep?" date, and two AGH boarlings about a week old. The little one I was bottle feeding was their sister. She died last night; turns out her case of "splay-leg" was a more serious connective tissue disorder and there was no way she'd live to maturity.

I have only visited farms for a long enough time to understand how intense the connection is between the farmer and everything he or she does. Every single thing matters; each decision, as its ramifications spin out and out, a life and death matter.

It's like living your work.

My grandfather had a bicycle looking thing with a wheel on the top that he used to sharpen instruments, and an old, old truck we would bring milk to the cheese factory in every day.

I was there once when the pigs were killed. It was horrible, awful, and I've never forgotten it. Do you know the writer Michael Pollan? He is a botanist and has the sweetest take on what it is to be human in a world of plants and animals and food chains.

I think it must take alot of courage to be a farmer.

I think I could never do it.

But I do remember going to get the cows in the afternoon and the way the barn smelled and so many wonderful things about being on that farm.

There was a wood burning stove in the kitchen.

I have friends today who raise pedigreed sheep. The farmer is the woman. The man was my karate instructor. It seems strange to see him at a disadvantage. It is the woman who is the farmer, and she loves it.

Welcome, nerfherder.

Maybe we can rename ourselves for this thread. Pick a name that defines us. I like Serenity, but that's so hard to type.

I am Cedar so much here that my real name (Barbara) feels less real. My mother drawled my real name, screamed my real name, so there is contempt attached to it for me.

I just thought I would mention that about our names, about what the names we identified through when we lived with our abusers carry for us, today.

There is so much less shame associated with my real name since having completed the exercise having to do with writing twelve times who we really are.

Which is true.

That is who we really are.

Starstuff.

But I also, in the front of my mind, wanted to believe I was showing her that I loved her and hoping t hat she loved me back.

I think those who abuse, particularly those who abuse children, leave their senses. I mean, it seems they are overwhelmed with something when they do that. Glass eyes, no emotion, cannot reach out of whatever trap they are in.

I think they cannot separate love from self contempt. I believe my mom did/does love me as a separate person (which is where the pride comes from) but hates me because I am hers. (Which is there the feeling of whore comes in. I think she is amazed at me but she hates me.

The taste of that dynamic is in here.

I think my mom would have done better if she could have. But once she didn't do better, once she began to abuse, there was no protection for us from the way my mom hates herself.

That is what I think I see with my mother, in my interactions with my mother.

As an adult, I felt badly for her. But in this time, when I need to be strong and when my intent is to be whole and not weakened by old trauma, I am having a look at the most traumatic incidents. I do see that kalidescope moving, turning, around issues of self contempt and hatred and disappointment and identifying your own children as abusable because they are yours and you hurt them, so they must be abusable, dispensable humans because you have hurt them.

A trap, for my mother.

But not where I need to live my life from, or to be weakened by, anymore.

On the other hand, I do believe we are all trying to heal. If it had been possible, if there had been someone strong there with her to help her and heal her and protect us, these things that happened with my mother would not have happened. Because they did happen though, all of us lost. Somehow, this is a description of the power dynamic Copa posts about.

Or it could be that my mom was just a mentally ill opportunist. She does behave in those same ways to the degree she is able with every person in her life.

Or it could be that each of us is stronger than we know and that our abusers were shamed in front of us because we saw them for who and what they were, and that they hate us for that ability to see them, to see to the heart of them, to this day.

It would be a strange and awful thing to abuse a child who refuses to cry.

Don't get me wrong.

There were plenty of times when I did cry.

I'm just saying I hate to cry, even to this day.

The sheer hate she had for me was clear from the grave.

Hatred.

Why is it hatred in our FOO instead of love? They say the two emotions are opposite sides of the same essential thing.

I feel hatred rolling off everything to do with my FOO, too. I could hate them back as easily as that ~ and would and could (maybe) fit right in, then. (You know, I think that might be really true....) My sister is always saying how she loves everybody to their faces but just look what she's been doing the whole time right under our noses!

Hating.

So, here is the circle in that for me and it sounds like for you too, SWOT: Then why keep contact with us? Why keep calling, like my sister does, defiantly, when I have decided I am done? (Okay. For my sister, now that we are seeing her in this new light, that is part of the identity of person working to pull the family together but only with my sister as king.) For my mom...surely she knew what she was doing. Remember my posting about the baptism, and my mother's refusal to tell me, having been raised Catholic herself, how a Baptismal event was meant to feel and then, telling me she wondered why I was asking her instead of asking my own mother.

And then, realizing she was my mother.

She thought that was pretty funny, too.

Never, ever, a good idea to be vulnerable to anyone in my FOO. That is the essential pattern, there. Vulnerability is seen like that.

So, the dynamic there was a sneaky, laughter-filled kind of hatred at my ignorance, and at my mother's knowledge in that instance, which she refused to share and then, made sure to excuse herself for and leave me out in the even colder, more alone place than the one I had initially come in from to ask the question in the first place.

What a strange, strange thing.

Did you not say SWOT that you look like your mom?

I look like my mom, too. No one knew that though until she lost an incredible amount of weight. My mom would always say things like: I thought I had a large frame. But now that we can see them, my bones are like yours." I have my father's eyes.

My brother looks like my father.

I am thinking about the hatred in kicking a child.

I have seen my mother kick our dog, too. I posted about that. The summary of the healing that happened in Family of Origins Group Therapy involved realizing that it was as wrong for my mother to kick me as it was for her to kick that dog. I always knew it was wrong for her to kick the dog, or to do so many of the bad things she did to my sibs. Heartbreaking to remember some of it even now.

Here again, the thing we are working to clear is our (my own)...is what we learned about ourselves through interacting with mothers or fathers ~ or anyone, really ~ who hates us.

Prometheus, the Fire that is love that Pierre Tielhard blah, blah describes, the liver being torn out and growing back, daily.

I don't know what to make of all of it, either.

I let my mother have her jaw back and removed the Bozo nose.

She is, after all, my mother. And for my own sake, I do not want her shamed. Shaming them in our imaginations is not the point. The point is to recognize that the things that were done to us were invalid.

These things should never have happened. Not to us, and not to anyone else, either.

That is why we have to be wise and wary through our healing. It isn't about turning ourselves into them.

It is about claiming or reclaiming, the legitimacy of self, for ourselves.

Remember that time I posted about the lady in Group Therapy who was nailed into shame because her abuser had taken a Polaroid of her after he beat and shamed her? And each of us could see so clearly that the shame was the adult who beat a child and then, took a picture to seal her humiliation in shame.

She could not see that.

She was so afraid of that picture showing up and exposing the "truth" about who she was, about who she'd been hurt into believing was all she was.

She was an incredibly accomplished woman.

But her internal truth was that picture.

Those are the kinds of beliefs we are clearing, here on this thread.

Cedar

In Group Therapy, the therapist told us that there are predators everywhere ~ that it isn't that we draw them so much as it is that we don't recognize the harm in them because it feels familiar to us and so, we don't turn away from them. We may believe (and probably, we do believe), that we have put all the badness behind us and everyone else has, too. That is why we (I) am horrified to learn the some of us continue to choose to hurt others, having held that intent all along.

Anyway. That concept our therapist gave us was something very worth while for all of us here to remember, too: We are not foolish in having been targeted by predators. Predators target everyone.

We just don't believe them, when they tell us they are f***ed up people.

We need to learn, as Maya Angelou teaches us, to believe people the first time, when they tell us who they are.

Scent of Cedar *

I do remember telling myself I'd try, even if it didn't work, because I believe that it's best to resolve things on earth rather than the next world, which I very much believe exists.

I live by that motto, too. Not so much resolving things now instead of later but more...I think more as a way to guide myself as I interact with others or as I see and learn myself. What is the right thing to do, what is the most healing response, when is it okay to display anger and when is anger the right response, the right response because there are people who will walk all over us. Anger can be blinding, and reactions can happen in a flash...and I don't want to be my mother.

Maybe, if I had been well brought up, I would be like my mother.

But that isn't true. If a person has been well brought up, the parent teaches the child how to be in the world, how to respond to rage and anger and hope and not be Pollyanna, like me.

That was a meanness to myself. I left it in so you could see it, too. These are the kinds of secret codes we use to beat ourselves up.

I don't feel like Pollyanna. Pollyanna is code for "Just don't think, Cedar." And etc. I believe with all my heart that we each can be strong and whole and that there is a reason we are here.

I believe in the power, the transformative power of love. Hatred is transformative, too.

Look what it has done, to each of us and to all of our families.

I am seeing eye rolling in response. My mom and my sister and even, my father. Rolling their eyes at this so typical Cedarism.

So, I pull the French taunter from Monty Python out of my psyche and let him give them the raspberries and flap his hands on his helmet.

"Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time!"

If I had been here, talking about my Hail Mary attempt to make it ok before my mother went on to the next world, perhaps I would have quit my silly attempt years before. Certainly, since she never once called me back or wanted me to come see her, it was pretty obviously a sign.

It was not silly, SWOT. It was courageous and intentful and good. Your mom abused little kids. That's the kind of person she chose to be. She was the kind of mom who did not take pleasure in keeping an orderly home or in learning to cook for her family, the kind of mom who would send her own children out into the world without the skills they needed to live in self-respect.

But you tried, SWOT.

You even tried with your sister, and you tried way harder than I did.

I love to envision you banging on her door with your white tennis shoe.

Ha!

Good for you.

Neither your mom nor your sister could understand how you refused to succumb to indifference or to the outright hostility your sister displays in her chasing and taunting and insistence that you carry the blackness for the entire family, even now.

Maybe SWOT, different as we are, this is the true truth in our FOO patterns: They could not understand our mindsets. They knew they did not deserve to be believed in and felt less than in comparison.

Where else did my mom and my sister get "What would Cedar do" and think that was funny, or that it had any meaning, at all?

This was how the campaign to vilify and isolate me began: The unification and betrayal in the laughter under the term "What would Cedar do".

So maybe, I am onto something, here.

I couldn't do it. Morally.

Perhaps the breaking your mom was trying to accomplish was to break your morality ~ was to break the goodness in you, Serenity SWOT.

Think about what they were really demanding that you do: Destroy yourself and everything by which you had lived your life and loved your children.

Beneath each of the themes that repeatedly come up for us as we heal is a direct attack on the goodness in us.

Morally.

This is a good point, SWOT. I will look for those angles in my own family thematic.

That would be the connection to the way our abusers hate us personally; seem to bear a personal grudge that we don't understand.

Maybe, we made them feel dirty because they know who they are.

That could be a piece of it. But it doesn't explain how the abusers could hurt their children.

It is a long, ugly story but I totally refused to give her son's SSN to carry out the deed. I told her "If you want to do it, you'll do it yourself."

Roar.

Good, good, good for you, SWOT. You stood up; stood on a moral principle you would not compromise.

She must have hated you for that.

I am proud that you did that. It took great courage.

She was just angry that I wouldn't carry out the divide/conquer wishes of my grandmother.

No. I think she was flabbergasted that you had the right and the power to defy her.

That is why she hated you. She couldn't break you.

Defiance. Spirit. Strength.

Who knows whether the grandmother had been influenced by the mother in how she decided to leave you that money? In my FOO, things are never, ever so simple as they seem. Remember my posting about my mother's delight in being the last one alive and so, able to determine the stories that will travel the genetic line into the future?

And one of the things she is doing is creating a question about whether my grandmother may have been party to a murder to inherit that farm I was posting about earlier. (The farmer was not my real grandfather. My grandmother had been married three times. And in the end? She left the third one, too.)

My point (and I do have one, as Ellen says) is that nothing is as it seems, in our FOO. So, I know your mom and your grandmother talked alot on the phone. How can you be sure your mom did not convince the grandmother to leave the money to only one child, thinking that would destroy the moral high ground you have lived your life from?

Into the saddlebag Serenity SWOT's mom goes. Her room in the English mansion? Is filled with Barbies and Thumbelinas and every beautiful piece of clothing Serenity SWOT should have had.

And a telephone.

But it caused my mother's last implosion on me. She probably decided right then to disown me. Not that it hadn't crossed her mind before that. After all, I did not blindly do her bidding.

Her bidding would have been for you to destroy yourself, for you to have lived your life as the person she raised you to be: Some broken, confused someone even she was better than.

But you pretty much told her to forget it, Serenity SWOT.

That is what she hated, the thing she could never, ever forgive you for.

Defying her and proving her wrong regarding your good, moral heart.

I have seen your heart here on this site in your responses to others.

That is how I know that about you, though we have never met.

My siblings said I abused her.

No, I didn't.

I just did not pretend everything was ok when it wasn't and that's cesrtainly against the rules in a dysfunctional family. In a dysfunctional family you shut up and pretend your family is normal and only the scapegoat is the ruination of it's perfection. The scapegoat was me.

I like this description of FOO dynamics. This is a good response for me to myself when I wonder about turning away from my mother and sister, now.

Well, I mean, in not allowing the sickness to continue using me to pretend something better than what is. Not that I have power to move in and out of the family circle at will.

I am right and truly excluded, absolutely now.

Forever.

And I never have to try, or do the responsible thing, or find some way to excuse outrageous betrayals, again.

Because that is what each of us is describing: Outrageous betrayal.

Cedar

BusynMember

As an adult, I felt badly for her.
You do have such a good heart.

I didn't have to feel sorry for my mom. She had my brother's undryiing, it seems almost romantic love and didn't need mine and my sister's always trotting behind, trying to keep up yelling, "Me too! I love you too, Mommy! I don't think any of my problems were caused by you. It was all dad, mommy." But at least her "love" was not romantic. I can't be sure my brother's was either, but, boy, it sure sounds like it when I read his FB postings. I don't see how anyone could miss it.

And that is how she damaged her Golden Child. He loved nobody else that way and never had a romantic life, except in his fantasies. And again, no, I don't believe any of t his was acted upon. He felt it, but did not act on it.

BusynMember

That is how I know that about you, though we have never met.
Such kind words. Thank you.

I cold never ever divide/conquer my kids, as we were in FOO. I didn't have a choice but to take a hard stand. My grandmother was plain morally wrong. As was my mother for doing what she asked her to do, which she KNEW was wrong.

In spite of the problems my mother had with HER mother (grandmother) she always did what her mother wanted, right or wrong.

And that's w here all of us can get into trouble. This "if your mama don't love ya ain't nobody gonna love ya" mentality is far and wide. And so untrue. We all have lots of love. We just don't have mama love. They didn't have it to give. The chose to be how t hey were raised. It was not our fauilts they couldn't love the normal way (in "normal" I mean as most people do...the average). And we chose to love our loved ones with all our hearts.

They can't take t hat away from us.

Reminds me of an old, old song "They can't take that awa-ay, they can't take that away, they can't take that away from me!" I was in an adult choir and that was one of our songs. A lovely song.

My real name is so ugly. Some know it. It's Pamela. Ick. I am called Pam. The name sounds old and has never made a comeback and my mother chose it. I so hate my name and always have. My brother has an ugly name too. My sister is the only one with a pretty name.

BusynMember

That is why she hated you. She couldn't break you.
OMG, Cedar.

YOU NAILED IT FOR MOM AND SISTER.

They couldn't break me. In the end, they couldn't even win. I was happy. That wasn't the way it was supposed to turn out. I was supposed to be unloved, broken, miserable and Golden Child and Second Fiddle But Still Loved Sister were supposed to carry all the glory and be beloved and happy and have all they wanted.

I have all I want and need. I have told my sister repeatedly how serene and peaceful and content I am. Must have driven her nuts, although I didn't tell her that to make her nuts. I was just talking about how much I hate drama and how hard I tried to get the life I have, which is good.

Thank you, Cedar. They both wanted to break me, at different times and for different reasons.

They couldn't. I am stronger than ever.

I will copy from you.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR!!!!

The only person who can break me is me and I won't. I will not ruin my life making stupid decisions and immoral choices that lead to grief. But my sister certainly did and my mother lost her beloved boyfriend in the end...he cheated on her. They couldn't seem to find a man who was any good, although I give my mother more credit than sister. She could live without a man. My sister can't.

Thank you a million times, a zillion times. (I know, it's not a number. It means infinity to me).

You nailed it for all of us.

Belle, you have a great vacation, hon, and let us know when you are back safe.

We can be sisters, right? So we are sisters in our fight and we all care for one another.