father in law is missing (updated)

Abbey

Spork Queen
The strange thing is he'll go for days on end being quite 'normal'. Then something like this happens. It's the small things that trip him up. A small thing might be buttoning your shirt or finding your way to the grocery store. Or, like you said...finding your car. Heck...I have a problem with that. I think I'm one of millions who drive a red mini van. I've more than once tried to get into someone else's car.:anxious:

Abbey

DDD

We live in the "oldest" community in the State of Florida. Maybe it is because I am a senior but really I think you have to take this danger seriously. I'm not sure exactly how many...but...many senior citizens have disappeared around here. They have drown, stumbled and broken legs and driven out of state with no idea of what they should be doing. Often they take a daily walk around the block in their familiar neighborhood and never return. I don't know what choices there are but I would assume a GPS that can be permanently attached to a belt or in the heel of a shoe must be available. The local nursing homes and ALF's have separate sections for those with dementia because evidently there is a drive to walk and wander that is impossible to divert.

Good luck in keeping him safe. It's a huge problem DDD

crazymama

I am sure it was scary, I was very lucky while taking care of my grandmother with dementia, she never drove, and refused to take a walk by herself. But in case, we found out our local Wal_Greens had a special medical alert type bracelet/necklace that actually also registered her with local sheriffs office. So if she did wander off, she had contact info on her at all times. I realize this may not work for everyone, not sure if its an option even in other countys in Florida, but thought maybe to mention it to see was an option anywhere else, if it might help someone.

:D

Abbey

Spork Queen
Has he been checked for Alzheimer's?

Yes, Loth...confirmed. It's in the beginning stages, but just in the 8 months I've been here I've seen it get worse.

I will check into the tracker thingy. If it's available here, I'll gently approach the subject with him. He probably won't like it too well. Very stubborn.

Thanks for all the tips.

Abbey

TerryJ2

Arrrgh. How scary and frustrating.

Taking away the car keys is the hardest thing. We've been through that. My little sister got the brunt of it. My dad kept saying he was going to call the sheriff on him. It took about 6 mo's but finally, one day he calmed down and it was fine.
One thing she did was take him places so he could get out. Then he'd complain he couldn't drive and she'd respond by reminding him that he could get out and she would take him. She has a thick skin! And a good support group.

You can see what's ahead for your father in law and it's not going to be easy. Just keep breathing. And keep the keys away from him.

DammitJanet

You are just going to have to take the keys...or disable the car. The wandering could be sundowning.

Is he on any medications? They could really help. I caught my mom too late I think. She progressed extremely fast. I guess she was lucky and 4 years after she came to stay up here she died. I say lucky because really, who wants to linger on in that condition? I never had to get to the point of making the awful decision of whether or not to tube feed her. I dreaded that decision and went round and round in my mind on what I was going to say. Thankfully she passed away before it got there.

These are some very hard times that are going to come up. If you can get up with the Alzheimers association they will send you a very good packet of info to help. Lots of resources.