Favorite Christmas Cookie recipe?

ScentofCedar

Mine isn't a cookie. It's a Christmas mouse made from Marachino cherries. I use them to decorate the cookie (or fudge) tray.

Marachino cherries with stems
Semisweet chocolate chips
Slivered almonds (for the ears)
Hershey's kisses (unwrapped)
Cinnamon candies (for eyes)

So, you melt the chocolate in the microwave (just use half a twelve ounce bag, at first). Then, dip the cherry into the chocolate to make the mouse "body". The cherry's stem will become the mouse's tail. Glue the body to the Hershey's Kiss "head". (The pointed part of the Hershey's Kiss becomes the mouse's nose.) Use one slivered almond on each side of the head to make the mouse's ears. Use a little melted chocolate to glue the cinnamon eyes on. Refrigerate in covered tupperware container until you are ready to deliver your cookies. When you are ready, scatter a few mice on each tray. They look so darn cute with their little tails sticking out and those beady red cinnamon eyes!

So, which is your favorite Christmas cookie recipe?

Barbara

trinityroyal

Gingerbread. Definitely gingerbread.
I'll have to dig out the recipe a bit later, but that's my Christmas standby.

I have little cookie cutters in Christmas shapes, but my favourite are the little Gingerbread Men (I loved the fairy tale when I was a little girl for some reason).

Woofens

These were in Hi-Lights magazine when I was a kid, and we make them every year. They are alot like rice krispy treats, but with corn flakes.

Holly Cookies

1TSP vanilla
2TBSP green food coloring
1/2 cup butter
10 OZ marshmallows
4 Cups cornflakes
red hot cinnamon candies

Melt butter and marshmallows in large pan over high heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon. Add vanilla and food coloring. Gently stir in cornflakes until coated. Shape cookies on greased wax paper. Add red hots to look like holly berries.

We usually make them to look like wreaths. Store them just like you would rice crispie treats!

Hugs
Jan

crazymama30

cut our sugar cookies with frosting. and sprinkles. rice crispy treats with green and red m & M's. We are trying a new cookie recipe this year, so I don't want to post it as I don't know if it is good. I sure hope so.

donna723

Every year I have to post the peanut butter sandwich cookie recipe - it's my own tradition! They're not pretty and they're not really 'Christmasy', but they're so good people fight over them! Every year I have to take a big plateful to work and I have to send my son-in-law a big bag of them every Christmas.

It's not really even a 'recipe'. You can use any good standard peanut butter cookie recipe. I always use the one on the butter-flavored Crisco package because it's really good and they stay a little chewy. Make one sheet of cookies as usual, with the crossed fork-marks - try to make them all about the same size. When these are done, take them out, remove them from the cookie sheet and let them cool ... these are the 'lids'. Put in a second sheet of cookies. About two minutes before the end of the recommended baking time, take them out of the oven and very carefully turn each one over with a spatula. Put an unwrapped Reeses Peanut Butter Cup candy in the center of each cookie - the little ones, about an inch wide. Return the cookie sheet to the oven and let them bake that last two minutes. This softens the chocolate but it doesn't lose it's shape. Take them out of the oven and top each one with one of the cooled 'lids'. Press down gently and twist it a little to get the chocolate to smoosh out to the edges of the cookie. You end up with a p'butter and chocolate filled sandwich cookie and they're soooo good!

There's another really easy one that I was going to try, but I couldn't find my mini-muffin pan ... darn! Maybe next year! They're made with packaged cookie dough from the dairy case and Hersheys Kisses - any flavor of cookie dough and there's all kinds of different flavors of Herseys Kisses, even peppermint, raspberry and white chocolate. Grease all the little cups of a mini-muffin pan. Cut the roll of cookie dough into 1-1/4 inch slices, then cut each slice into fourths and drop one piece in each little muffin cup. Bake just until they're done. Take them out and while they're still hot, immediately press an unwrapped Herseys Kiss into the middle of each one. Or you can use the smallest size Peanut Butter cups too. Then when they've cooled slightly, you pop them out of the muffin pan with the end of a spoon. These look very fancy and very pretty, like you spent hours on them, but they're not much work at all!

susiestar

Roll With It
There are so many it is hard to tell.

I really LOVE the Cowboy cookies recipe - it really holds together well when you cut it (arms don't fall off easily, etc) and tastes very good. It is in this book: Wild Wild Wests Cowboy Cookies by Tuda Libby Crews - available at amazon for under $3.)

I also have a caramel recipe (called Fat Alert!) that I can post later. It is amazing. Fran and Stella andCoookie and Esther can attest to that. It is just yummy.

And then there is Alton Brown's peanut butter fudge made in the microwave.

So I have a lot of faves. I can't wait to try some of your recipes too!

susiestar

Roll With It
I think i posted this earlier, but for people with gluten allergies/sensitivites, you can add gingerbread spices to rice krispy cookies (stir into the marshmallow part before you add the cereal). These can be cut into gingerbread people and they taste really good (even if you don't have the girlfriend diet!)

KTMom91

I love gingerbread people, but my very favorite is Pecan Ball Cookies (Mexican Wedding Cakes, Russian Tea Cookies...what else are they called?)

OK, Tink and I baked our butts off this past weekend! We made fudge, sugar cookies, chocolate crinkle cookies, ricotta cookies, cathedral cookies, meringues, popcorn squares (like rice crispy treats but with popcorn, and add crushed peppermints in the mix) and chocolate dipped pretzels. We also dipped spoons in chocolate to give as gifts to make cocoa. But the best ones we made were angel wings:

1 cup cold butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
10 tablespoons sugar, divided
  1. In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until crumbly. Stir in sour cream and lemon peel until well blended. Place on a piece of waxed paper; shape into a 4-1/2-in. square. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  2. Cut dough into four 2-1/4-in. squares. Place one square on a piece of waxed paper sprinkled with 2 tablespoons sugar. Cover with another piece of waxed paper. Keep remaining squares refrigerated. Roll out dough into a 12-in. x 5-in. rectangle, turning often to coat with the sugar.
  3. Lightly mark center of 12-in. side. Starting with a short side, roll up jelly-roll style to the center mark, peeling paper away while rolling. Repeat rolling from other short side, so the two rolls meet in the center and resemble a scroll.
  4. Wrap well in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Repeat with remaining squares, using 2 tablespoons sugar for each. chill for 1 hour.
  5. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/2-in. slices; dip each side in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Turn cookies over; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to wire racks to cool.
They are not real sweet, but they melt in your mouth. So tender and tasty!