Favorite lines from tv, books or movies

tiredmommy

We watched the Sixth Sense earlier and I was reminded of great line said by the boy (Cole) when asked what sort of pictures he draws:

" I draw... people smiling, dogs running, rainbows. They don't have meetings about rainbows."

What are your favorite lines?

witzend

Julie: I can't believe I trusted him...
Helen: Well, what did you expect from a kid like that?
Julie: Oh, Mom, back off. The last guy you dated stole our furniture.

From Parenthood. There's lots of great lines in that movie, but after looking at them on IMDB, I couldn't post most of them that I like without getting bleeped!

busywend

I watched Georgia Rule last night on TV. A line that cracked me and difficult child up.

Grma: "You cut your hair!"
Mom: " Yeah, it was getting in the way of my drinking."

We both burst out laughing.

Abbey

Spork Queen
"It's just a flesh wound." - Monty Python. I use that all the time when I cut myself on various body parts with my blade cutter. I'm spewing blood from a finger or leg from being stabbed by the darn thing and a coworker will gasp..."OMG." Naw, it's just a flesh wound. :)

by the way - I only have 5 of them on me right now. Stupid company makes you use 'regulation' cutters which are a piece of crud. They don't automatically retract so I slice open a box and without thinking and jam the thing in my pocket. Oopsss....nice slice in the leg. I keep a secret nice cutter hidden in the other pocket when no management is around.:tongue:

Abbey

N

Nomad

Fried Green Tomatoes
Parking Lot Scene
Young girls steal parking spot from "older" woman and she (Kathy Bates) totals their car....

[Evelyn is cut off in a parking lot]
Evelyn Couch: Hey! I was waiting for that spot!
Girl #1: Face it, lady, we're younger and faster!
[Evelyn rear-ends the other car six times]
Girl #1: What are you *doing*?
Girl #2: Are you *crazy*?
Evelyn Couch: Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
"I got nowhere else to go. I got nuthin' else."

Zack Mayo (my future husband)..."An Officer and a Gentleman"

Suz

donna723

One of my all time favorite movies is "Somewhere in Time" with Christoper Reeve and Jane Seymour - the one where he figures out a way to go back in time to 1912 to meet the woman whose portrait he has fallen in love with. It's just so beautiful - the setting, the clothes, the music, and it's so intriguing with the time travel aspect! I've seen it hundreds of times, know every line by heart.

This would sound so dumb if you've never seen the movie, but my favorite line is when he's arrived at the hotel in 1912 and he's wandering the grounds looking for her and he sees her for first time. He approaches her and they just stare at each, spellbound in amazement for a minute, and then she finally stammers out, "Is it you?" ... and he says "Yes!" Blows me away every time!

DazedandConfused

Witz: I love the movie Parenthood, too. I liked before kids, but afterwards it really hit home.

Mine would have to be from Terms of Endearment. Again, a movie I loved before I had kids, and I loved this scene in particular. I had no idea I would go through nearly the same experience myself years later with Daughter. Many great lines in this movie, but my favorite is this scene:

Aurora's daughter is losing her battle with cancer and is on medication to ease the pain. It's time for her next dose and the nurse has not arrived to give it to her. Aurora walks up to the nurses station to inform them that it is time to give the shot to her daughter and is met with "someone will be right there" and "that's not my patient". Aurora incrementally gets more upset by being casually brushed off until finally she explodes difficult child meltdown force:

"GIVE MY DAUGHTER THE SHOOOOOOOOOT!"

The terrified nurse of "not my patient" fame runs to the room with a syringe in her hand.

Having accomplished her mission, Aurora smooths her clothes and her hair and politely whispers, "Thank you" before returning to her daughter's room.

slsh

member since 1999
Remember the Titans:

"Sometimes life's just hard."

Angels in the Outfield:

"It could happen."

I do love Fried Green Tomatoes too... Tawanda!!! :rofl:

M

ML

Betty Davis, can't remember the name of the movie, says "Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy night".

Kathy813

Staff member
"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

That was said by Bette Davis in All About Eve.

Here are some more that I like:

"Nobody puts 'Baby' in the corner"
Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing

"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society

And for a chuckle . . .

"A boy's best friend is his mother."
Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in Psycho