favorite Movie (and why)

slsh

member since 1999
All time, always #1 - "Angels In the Outfield" because.... it could happen.

Gee, only 1 movie???

I love "Moulin Rouge" because it's the first chick flick that Diva recognized and participated in as a chick flick. "Titanic" is another one that she and I can watch anytime.

"My Left Foot" because I aspire to be as good as Christy Brown's mother someday.

"Fried Green Tomatoes" because it's about sisterhood.

"Die Hard" any version if I'm in the mood for blow-'em-ups.

Any Barbra Striesand musical, though I'm most partial to "On a Clear Day".

Goodness, I could go on... but I'll stop since you only asked for *one*! :rofl:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
"The Sixth Sense"----all of those love stories wreaked havoc on my heart (Husband/wife, therapist/client, Mother/son)...not to mention the fabulous acting, storyline, and "The TWIST"

"Shawshank Redemption"- triumph of the human spirit and tenacity. A delicious buddy movie of the truest kind.

"Glory"- music that made me swoon, story that touched my heart

"Titanic"- the boat sunk and I cried for days.

"An Officer and a Gentleman"- I've seen it 105 times. Wore out the first tape I bought. Richard- need I say more???

Love the old classic tear jerkers...."Love is a Many Splendored Thing," "An Affair to Remember," "Dark Victory," "Waterloo Bridge,"

Oh gosh, I could go on and on. I am a movie-holic.

Am loving "Enchanted" and "Dan in Real Life" right now.

Suz

trinityroyal

Hmmm...how can I pick just one?

All Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers musicals
Singin' in the Rain, because I love the commentary on Hollywood and the silent film era, not to mention the big song and dance numbers.

The Big Clock, Rear Window, North By Northwest, and just about any other Alfred Hitchcock film

Anything with Cary Grant in it

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Meet John Doe

Goodness. I haven't picked a single movie made later than 1955. Oh well, I guess I was born out of time.

wakeupcall

The Way We Were...(Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford.) I cry like a baby every time.....perhaps because I'm still not with the love of my life either.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have so many to list, but my all time favorite. The one movie I have watched over and over again and that has never and will never get old for me is Moonstruck with Cher and Nicholas Cage. I love that movie because it's funny, typical 'old' New Yorker Italians, romantic, it just does it for me. I love that movie. Sometimes after a long day at work, especially in the winter, I will come home, get in my comfy pants, pour a glass of red wine and watch.

My next all time favorite is Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn, because of the fun, escapades, nonsense and a bit of romance. It's just fun.

I guess I like mostly romantic comedies.

DammitJanet

Well we all know my all time fav dont we? LOL.

Of course, Rocky Horror!

Now would you all be shocked to know that Jamies favorite movie (and he admits it on his Myspace page) is The Notebook!

Lothlorien

Being the goof that I am, I absolutely loved Sixteen Candles with Molly Ringwald, when I was a teen and beyond, sad to say. I knew every single stupid and corny line in that movie. I just watched it recently on TV.

I loved Moonstruck too.

Lord of the Rings, but the extended version. I watch them every time I get a sinus infection and don't feel well, which is more often than I'd like to say.

Loved Troy. Why.....Eric Bana humina, humina. It was a really great movie, too.

Have watched Lara Croft Tomb Raider several times.....why? Gerry Butler.

Reign of Fire....awesome. Not what I had expected. I thought it was a war move....not! It's about fire breathing dragons in a holocaust type atmosphere.

Really good vampire movies are a hit, for some strange reason. They have to be really good and not cheesey. I don't like horror flicks. Most of them are just stupid and you can anticipate just about every stupid thing.

The Notebook was a GREAT movie, Janet.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
well I hated atonement, but thinking of the library scene give me the whillies every time.

I also love Pride and Prejudice, Sense and sensibility, Becoming jane

Dejavue with Denzel is a MUST see for anyone who has not seen it yet! It is not what most expect!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The original Yours Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball. When I was a kid, in some ways this felt like my life, escept they were soooo much happier.

The Bishop's Wife Cary Grant I've never seen anything with good ol' Cary in it that I didn't love.

Oh, that reminds me..... Harvey with Jimmy Stewart. And It's a Wonderful Life........husband says that I was born in the wrong generation. :rofl:

Gothica with Hailey Berry. Now that's a movie! Oh and I loved 6th Sense too. And the Green Mile.

I don't think I can choose just one............... :rofl:

muttmeister

I have three favorites:

Lilies of the Field with Sidney Poitier - Anytime I'm in a bad mood and think the world has gone to he!! in a handbasket I watch this movie and it always improves my outlook.

Young Frankenstein - I can never watch it without laughing; I have a juvenile sense of humor and this plays right into it.

Arsenic and Old Lace with a young Cary Grant - He's beautiful to look at and no matter how many times I watch it I end up laughing so hard I almost need CPR.

donna723

I have a few all-time favorites that I've watched so many times, I can recite all the lines right along with the actors!

"Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve, where he goes back in time to meet the women he falls in love with after seeing her picture in the old hotel. I've seen it a hundred times and it still gives me chills. Everything about it is gorgeous - the setting, the clothes they wear, and especially the music. It's just so intriguing.

And "The Color Purple" is another one I've seen dozens of times and I still cry my eyes out at the ending.

And any of the Monty Python movies ... I've never been able to decide which one is my favorite. It's a toss up between the Holy Grail and The Life of Brian. I start giggling at the very beginning and by the end I've practically laughed myself sick!

Wiped Out

Staff member
The Trouble with Angels-I love it because it is just one of those fun, feel good movies.

It's a Wonderful Life-Still makes me cry every time I see it.

Pretty Woman-I love the whole thing but especially the part where Julia Roberts goes back to the store that snubbed her the day before with tons of bags and tells them what a big mistake they made!

I love so many of the movies everyone mentioned!

I know there are a ton more-brain just isn't functioning. This is definitely a question for my husband as he is a major movie person.

donna723

Oh, I forgot one! "To Kill a Mockingbird"! I love that movie!

If there ever was a real man like Atticus Finch, I might even consider getting married again! Maybe ... nah, just kidding!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Donna, I completely agree. If Atticus Finch walks by, I'm fighting you for him. He's perfection (as was Gregory Peck at that age).

Suz

tiredmommy

I have several:

Kids/family: Finding Nemo(what a great parenting analogy!)
Romance: Heaven Can Wait (I loved how the coach recognized his buddy)
Sports: Rudy (What an inspiration!)
Drama/Adventure: Apollo 13 (The scene where the son is waiting for word about his father makes me cry every time!)
Teen: Pretty in Pink (My friends teased me that I was Molly Ringwald, lol!)
Holiday: It's A Wonderful Life (We all know a George Bailey!)

Sara PA

Field of Dreams
The Sixth Sense
Beetlejuice
Ghost

....are we seeing some strange pattern here?

But back to Field of Dreams -- it's about baseball and all that was good about the baseball I saw when I was a child.

witzend

Notice how many of us really like Cary Grant? Humina humina! Arsenic and Old Lace, and Bringing Up Baby are comedy classics! To Catch a Thief he was gorgeous! Then again, I also like any of the Hitchcock movies, including the oldies that he made in England. The 39 Steps and Sabotage are two of my favorites.

I really like Ray Milland. The Big Clock is very good, but I like The Uninvited best, with The Ministry of Fear actually being quite topical even today.

I love William Powell and the Thin Man movies. And My Man Godfrey is a favorite, as well.

I guess that is a good start. I'll try to get past the 1950's some time.

meowbunny

Mr. Holland's Opus. I[m blubbering long before that movie ends and will happily watch it over and over.

Ditto on Cary Grant. That man is just too yummy for words. Houseboat with Sophia Loren is one of my favorites. Their off-screen chemistry just zings on-screen.

GWTW -- How can we resist Rhett?

Considering it is 2:17 and I have to get up at 5:30, I think I better go to bed. I'm sure I could come up with a couple hundred others if my brain weren't quite so fried.