Favorite Quote(s) Redux

N

Nomad

I know we have done this before, but I have a reason for doing it again.

First of all, I have discovered a new one that I REALLY like and will post it below.

Second of all, does anyone recall the quote Fran use to have at the bottom of her posts? It went something like ( but was much better than) "It's not what happens...it is what you do next..." Thanks.

The quote I heard recently, that was new for me and thought provoking is:

"God gives the birds the food they need; but he doesn't throw it in their nests."

What's your favorite?

The one I use most:
Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the Titanic.

One I just saw the other day:
Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak. Epictetus

klmno

I like these!! Not that I'm so religious (maybe spiritual)- but one of my faves-

"My life is God's gift to me; what I make of it is my gift to God."

I really view that as any opportunity one is given is a gift and that what that person does with that opportunity is the gift (or not) that they give back to everyone.

Marguerite

ML, that is one of my favourites too.

I also like - "Don't criticise the coffee. You may be old and weak yourself one day."

Marg

Andy

Slow down, Relax, and Enjoy!

This was my theme one year as a state program manager for Focus on Women in an organization I belonged to.

Slow down is the time management of your life. Don't wait until the last minute - that can cause stress when an unexpected event comes up. My example for that was that my child came down with chicken pox the day before a mailing was due out for the entire state. If I had waited until the last minute to do it, it would not have gotten done and I would have stressed. So I always try to give myself extra time to get anything done. I set deadlines earlier than needed.

Relax - we all need to take time to pamper ourselves, to reenergize.

Enjoy - have fun! Look for the good in life. I was so proud of myself a few weeks ago - we ended up in a traffic jam and was 20 min late for difficult child's therapist appointment. Instead of stewing in the vehicle and letting my anger rise, I instead stayed calm and noticed the beautiful wildflowers/weeds growing on the edge of the freeway. The only time my blood pressure went up was when we came to a stop under a bridge - even difficult child tensed - we both let our imaginations run the wrong way in that moment. :)

Manage your time - pamper yourself - have fun

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love this thread!

My favorite quote is, "No day is so bad that it can't be made better by a nap". I can't remember who said it but I try to take a nap every day in the summer (and weekend days during the school year)-it works for me:)

N

Nomad

These are great!Thank you!! I also like...

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

"If you are going through hxll, keep going."

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
My three all-time faves:
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

"Life is 10 percent what you make it and 90 percent how you take it." Irving Berlin

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Star*

call 911........call 911
To keep perspective on lifes up's and downs my favorite has always been:

Once I cried because I had no shoes; then I met a man with no feet.

Great thread!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
"Those are just things you've done. Not who you are."

I fell in love with this quote from the movie 28 days. I actually like a lot of things about that movie. But it can be such a reminder not only for myself but things that other people do or have done. It is just a reminder to me that we all make mistakes but we aren't mistakes.

beth

N

Nomad

Beth, BBK and Genny...NEW ONES for me and they are GREAT!
Klmno...That is one of my favorite quotes!
Thank you!!!:D

We never know the worth of water till the well is dry. English Proverb

Being bored is an insult to oneself. Jules Renard

Worry is a form of fear. Betrand Rusell

Nothing is easier than self deceit. Demosthenes

If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone. Maxwell Maltz

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ah, Nomad...great ones. My favorite is in my signature. Walt Disney. (Can't see it now as I'm typing, but he was awesome.)

Wait a minute. I guess I've screwed up and deleted that saying. Leave it up to me.

Abbey

Fran

Former desparate mom
I still can't remember what I did with the quote, Nomad. Sorry.

Of course, my all time favorite is "if you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got"

I love Eleanor Roosevelt's quotes. She was brilliant.

It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan.
Eleanor Roosevelt

It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.
Eleanor Roosevelt

My experience has been that work is almost the best way to pull oneself out of the depths.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Never allow a person to tell you no who doesn't have the power to say yes.
Eleanor Roosevelt

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt

This one is funny.

I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.
Eleanor Roosevelt

KTMom91

Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others. Audrey Hepburn

N

Nomad

Thank you Fran and KTMom...
ER and AH always have good ones and many of those I have not heard before.

Here is one by Audrey Hepburn that is very special to me:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

witzend

"Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it" Joe Lewis Walker

"Some people have everything, and other people don't.
But everything don't mean a thing if it ain´t the thing you want."
Charles Wright

"If you don't respect yourself, ain't nobody gonna give a hoot about you." Mavis Staples

"Always keep your eyes on the prize" Alice Wine

TerryJ2

My favorite most ironic quote: "Life is short. Hurry." --Martha Stewart (B4 she went to jail for insider trading.)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx