favorite thrifty pleasure?

Dixies_fire

For example I like flea markets out doors ones tend to be cheaper. I also like farmer's markets and finding things you can't find in a store. Suziestar and I were talking about bookstore we both know its a HUGE used book store and it's wonderful.
When my dad was alive and many other times besides with him, a good party usually ended up with half the family sitting outside on the porch sipping a beer and swapping lies. My favorite thing about the south you never really see that up north.

L

Liahona

Pinterest and "shopping" for free educational apps for the kids. I get the same feel of shopping but don't actually spend any money. Gardening; I can somewhat zone the kids out while I'm puttering in the garden. And this site. Stories and songs with the kids. Conversations with difficult child 2.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If that bookstore is the one I am thinking of in Tulsa... It rocks! I loved that place.

Let's see... I like non-chain thrift stores because you can find some seriously good deals. Clearance racks & endcaps always draw me. But... I'd rather take my kids on a picnic than to a restaurant...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Going to the pool in the summer to relax-with or without difficult child and easy child/difficult child. Just last summer the health club I belong to (for free because husband taught classes there for so many years we have a lifetime free membership) partnered with a local country club (not as fancy as it sounds) and they offer free swimming for members of the club so all it costs is the price of gas and I get to relax in the sun (yes, I use sunscreen and know that it still isn't probably the best thing but for me it is a huge escape).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yard sales. Thrift stores. You just never know what you're going to find at what amazing price.

I also used to love to window shop in antique stores.

Family bbq's. Good food. Good company. Plenty of laughs. Get to watch the grandkids having a blast. (there is one tomorrow)

Walking the dogs in the Autumn when nature is at it's most colorful.

Fishing. Beautiful scenery. Off by yourself. Quiet. And if you're lucky you get dinner. lol

Taking the kids to the free movie on weds during the summer. I did this with my kids. At our poorest we snug popcorn and drinks in with Mom's huge purse. When we had the money though they got popcorn and drinks and thought it was wonderful. The grands now do this with my daughters. Nana tags along when there is a movie I want to see. lol

I like the beach.

I also am a member of an organization that lets me use the facilities (pool, hot tubs, showers,etc) at the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa for free! Yesterday I spent 2 hours by the pool there, it's half a mile from my house. If anyone is in my area this summer you're welcome to go with me.

I like going to cvs with my coupons and getting everything for almost, or totally free.
I like to go on car rides with my kids, it seems like the only time I can actually talk to them.

trinityroyal

Picnics. When friends suggest getting together for lunch, I usually suggest that we meet at a nearby park or picnic area and bring lunches rather than going to a restaurant. MUCH less expensive -- even a food court meal can cost almost $15, and I can stick to my healthy eating plan since I make it myself.

donna723

Free movies? Wish there had been something like that around here when my kids were little!

We do have a neat thing here ... in fact I'll be checking it out later this evening. This is one of those tiny little southern towns with an old fashioned courthouse square - absolutely nothing to do here. So they started having music on the square on Saturday nights during the summer - live bands and different groups performing on the steps of the courthouse. People sit on park benches or bring lawn chairs or just sit in the grass on the courthouse lawn and people line the sidewalk across the street from the courthouse. Usually there's two or three bands, all different types from rock to country to gospel to folk music. Some are definitely "homegrown" but some are very, very good ... it helps that we are so close to Nashville! It's all great fun and a wonderful opportunity to "people-watch" - all the local characters seem to come out. You might see little kids and old people dancing down the sidewalk or a group doing country line dancing. All this is only a short half-block from my house and I can hear the music from my front porch. If there's a good group playing, I put my most social dog on her leash and we walk down there to listen to the music and schmooze with the crowd. The dog loves it so much that when she hears that music playing, she runs to the front door and spins in circles until I put her leash on her and take her down there! It's lots of fun and totally FREE!

DDD

Our public library is the best source of "free". In addition to the library books there is a sizable section of movies, a big section with games for PS2's etc, the latest magazines and newspapers including the WSJ and the NY Times AND a fairly decent selection of jig saw puzzles that you don't even have to "check out" officially...and with no set return date!

Although I have always loved wandering through libraries now I use the Internet to find what I want. If it is out on loan I can "reserve it" and get an email from the library telling me that it is on the personal "hold shelf" where the books titles/info are covered by a white paper that only shows my last name. Geez, can't get easier than that.

There are also computers available for personal use which I think is awesome for those who don't have one at home. Plus...every so often they have outdoor movies. Not bad for a small town. My favorite part of the City. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Today Nichole and I took Darrin and Brandon to the beach here with Maggie. Totally free and two hours of total fun in the sun.

Why she was here without the rest of her family.........is better not to ask. lol

But I did tell her that girl has more fun "cooling off" her temper than anyone else I ever met. Now why couldn't I have thought up stuff like this when I was fuming and needed to "get away" to calm down? LOL

I have recently begun to ride my bike for a half hour in the mornings......it's relaxing, especially when I go fast down a hill and play "I want to fly like Superman" on my ipod! I feel like a little kid.

I swim at the rec center I belong to or at my condo pool. I am in a book group at my library and one at the History Center. I went to an art exhibit (free) by 20 Cuban artists, have always been fascinated by Cuba. I walk my dog and look at the birds. Next week will take my dog to a dog beach, or at least a place I can take him, Picnic Island. I watch the Groupons or Travelzoo , last week husband and I went to Sunken Gardens and to a private dinner club on the eighth floor overlooking the bay. I read a lot(library) I am involved with my church, lots of potlucks. There is a art museum with free every Friday. Our paper has each week, 5 activities under five dollars, most are free.

N

Nomad

Good coffee
really good garage sale or consignment shoppe
A book store that still has table and chairs for browsing purposes
The llibrary
Our new local YMCA
A phone call from a good friend
:smile:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I love to go to the beach, just be there, the smell of the ocean, the breezes, listening to little kids playing and laughing at the water's edge, people are happy at the beach...........I am happy at the beach.........

I love to get up early, before anyone is up, make a pot of good coffee, bring my mug upstairs into what I call my "sanctuary" where I have a chaise lounge and my laptop. Sipping coffee, in the wee small hours of the morning, when it's so incredibly quiet and peaceful, cruising around on this site, or email, or just doing research or reading...........these are precious moments...........

A hike like we took today, a long path around a beautiful lake, or through the woods, I love that quiet too, whether it's near the ocean or the woods or a lake, it's the hiking, being outside, exercising my heart and lungs, breathing deeply, chatting with my SO, since he is always my hiking partner.

Going for a drive, often to the ocean and stopping in small shops, hunting for chocolate chip cookies or ice cream along the way........

Stopping in small bookstores where you can sit down, check out books you want to read, relax, it's quiet, I love being surrounded by books.

Holding a little baby, a puppy, a kitten, there's something about new life that is just intoxicating and so enjoyable, it just makes me smile and feel good.

Getting an email or a call from someone I love, one of my girlfriends.........it used to be getting a letter, but those days seem to be over now!

The sense of accomplishment when I do a job around the house, clean out the garage, a closet, the refrigerator, whatever, once it's OVER, it feels really good!

Lying in bed with a really good book, I so look forward to that!

Laughing with my SO and my granddaughter, every day...........

susiestar

Roll With It
For a simple moment thrift pleasure? Fill popsicle molds or small containers with applesauce and have applesauce popsicles. They are amazing. I also like putting instant pudding into the ice cream maker. I love these.

Putting applesauce into popsicle molds is wonderful, in my opinion. One of those things that is just right on a hot summer night.

For a simple but very nice touch, freeze grapes, berries, cherries, chunks of melon, etc...on a cookie sheet so they are not touching. Once frozen solid, put them into ziplocs or containers in the freezer. use them with or instead of ice cubes. Not only do they taste great for so little effort (esp with iced tea for some reason), they look pretty and like you really care.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oddly, I like to sew. I'm not great at it, but you can bet I rock at curtains, blankets, and pillow cases. I've made jammies for Jett and a snuggie for Inky when she was teensy, and I've fixed any number of holes in clothes. I just finished the curtains for Inky's room last night.

Crocheting, too, when I don't have three million other things to do...