Favorite Wintery Recipes

DDD

White sauce is the combo of butter, flour, water that is also referred to as a cream sauce. It's what you make creamed chip beef with, or creamed onions or creamed most anything. When you add Kitchen Bouquet...oila!, you end up with a basic gravy that is brown. If you add alot of pepper to the white sauce you have "country gravy".

It's versatile and it's easy. Problem??? Well ;) I'm pushing 70 and I still
don't have the patience to stand at the stove slowly stirring and stirring and stirring as the ingredients slowly slowly slowly thicken into a sauce. I didn't have the patience in Home Easy Child in the mid-50's and still don't. :whiteflag:

So..if it is in a can I can open a can. :D I can add the contents to thicken up soups, make gravy etc. etc. That's the best inventions since the wheel!!!!! DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Wintery Recipe by Star

Take one man - doesn't matter what size or color.....put him in the kitchen.

Give him the complete Fanny Farmer cookbook and point to various things describing as you go. Example: Fridge, sink, stove, oven, cabinets, spoons, roasting pan, crock pot, apron.

Show him the dish rag, Palmolive soap, scrubber pad, and counter spray, broom, mop and bucket.

Demonstrate how to roll up throw rugs and shake AWAY from the house when finished, point to trash can and remind him he does have a chore.

Then:

Leave him in said kitchen for 30 minutes. Leaving car keys and bank card on the counter. Go about your business stating you HATE to cook, you wish your kitchen would fall off the back of the house, leave your coupons on the desk for Pamprin, Midol and other various necessities.

Viola -
40 minutes later you have a delivered meal from Applebees.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Janet! :) Now this week I'll have to see if I get lucky and krogers has their ham on sale again. lol Gawd that sounds delicious!

DDD Well, I'll be darned. Been making white sauce for years, just didn't know what it's called. :rofl: (see what I mean)

I may be attempting chilli this weekend too. I haven't made it in forever. But now all the kids love it and are asking for it. Travis was the only one who liked it when he was little. lol

But this cold has me craving fried potatoes 'n onions, mac and cheese, and sweet rice. :rofl: Talk about a meal full of starch. *snort* but darn it's good.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It didn't have popcorn in it though.

Uh....Klmno....that recipe didn't have popcorn "in" it either. It was just suggested as a topping. lol

Welsh rarebit is delicious but it is a "thickish" sauce, not a soup.

Suz

klmno

Oh! (slaps head here!) I thought the white popcorn listed at the bottom of the recipe meant it got mixed in. Sorry- I'm not too bright sometimes! It did sound like a good soup- I'm going to copy it down!!

Thanks!

DammitJanet

Yes....welsh rarebit is a sauce....not soup....

Story time.

I was an only child if any one didnt know it. My mom's one good talent was cooking. She used to make really good food for me even if she was abusing the heck out of me. She would make me welsh rarebit but we called it welsh rabbit. I didnt know it wasnt called rabbit until I was grown. I tried to make it for Tony when I first met him but I used cheese whiz, milk and shrimp....oh it was nasty! lol.

SRL

I put this in the oven earlier today and thought I'd share. There's a lot of variations to this oven stew recipe but we like this one. I'll often add some frozen veggies like a handful of corn near the end of the cooking time. Also, I think this one works best with the meat and veggies diced fairly small.

I'm off to make some homemade bread to go with it!

Oven Beef Stew

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon chopped onion
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 potatoes, dice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons tapioca
11 ounces (2 small cans) V-8 vegetable juice
2 beef bouillon cubes
½ cup water

Combine all ingredients in a two quart casserole that has been coated with non-stick spray. Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 3 ½ hours or until meat and veggies are tender.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My new favorite winter *thing* is sliders on the grill!
Don't throw anything at me.
Fresh fruit salad and a plate full of sliders. I am making them right now. Oh and it is in the 70's.
Only cause N is obsessed with them and it is her new thing that she will eat, baby hamburgers. And she loves fruit kabobs.

The thing I do love from the moosewood cook book is The Sheppards Pie!

DDD

OK, I give up.........what is the origin of the Moosewood Cookbook???

Is it a midwest thing?

I'm beginning I need to find one of those suckers! :D DDD

SRL

My new favorite winter *thing* is sliders on the grill! Don't throw anything at me.
!

I have my grill right outside the patio doos so I grill all year around and in fact made turkey burgers last night. However...I did have to knock the ice off the grill first and brush the snow off my feet every time I come in.