Fba

klmno

I still haven' t responded to sd's request for IEP meeting, but I need to today. I'm going to ask for an FBA- he's had them in past but it was before I knew that the FBA wasn't supposed to be done during 15 mins in an IEP meeting by those of us on the IEP team. Now that I realize this, I want it done by a qualified person. Given the attitude of the staff at the school, should I ask for their Ed Spec to do it or the sd psychologist (which really won't be a psychologist) or who? How do I ensure they get a qualified person who loooks into more than just what the sd says?

SaraT

You can double check me on this, but I believe you can request in writing that the FBA be done by an independent outside source at sd's expense. The reason for outside assesment, the bias against your difficult child as evidenced by principals email.(She just hung herself lol)

klmno

Thanks, Sara! That sounds like a very good idea. Especially since principal asked for liason person for students on an IEP who are expelled or given long-term suspensions get involved- now why would she need this person involved?

Who do I send the request to- the school or the Director of Special Education?

SaraT

I would send it to both, and cc it to superintendent. The way that principal is acting I wouldn't trust her to do her job. in my humble opinion.

klmno

I don't trust any of the admin staff over there at this point-
Anyway, one more question- in the lettter, do I need to suggest a person or just ask for an outside source and then the sd finds someone? (I'm just wondering if I need to line someone up before sending the letter.)

SaraT

I would have someone to suggest, but sds usually have an outside person they deal with.

I would insist on the one you pick in this case, as you have had nothing but trouble from the sd.

klmno

Thanks! I think I'll copy it to the state dept of Ed too, with my complaint!! I thought it was just the elementary school principal that had become vicious (seeking retaliation) in 5th grade but now I see that this sd apparently hires principals like that for their schools. I just checked the states evaluation on this district to see how they rank in Special Education success and it looks like they fall short in meeting states goals in a few areas and- were found to have discrepancies in suspensions and expulsions of students with Special Education needs. HMM!

SaraT

In that case, you can request that your difficult child be moved to a district better suited to deal with gfgness. It would be at your sd's expense for transportation, etc.

If the sd is not meeting your childs needs you have every right to have him transfered to a district that can. If you want that, then include that as a wanted solution in your letter to the state. If the state agrees, they can force the sd to do it, instead of you having to fight for it.

klmno

Personally, I think we need to move out of this araea at the end of this school year- except that difficult child finally has good friends (ok One!) that he goes to school with and lives a few blocks away. Given some of his issues, it could cause some pproblems with him, on top of breaking his heart- if I moved him away from here. We just moved 18 mos ago- right before middle school started, to get him in a better middle school, but it is the same overall sd. I thought he'd never forgive me for moving him oout of the neighborhood where he knew all the kids. (It was only 4 miles away)

SaraT

You don't have to move. You can simply request that your son be sent to another district better equiped to handle him. The sd would have to bus your son from your house to the new district. That way he still has his neighborhood friend.

klmno

Ok, if I need to send certified letters out, it will take a couple of days (Monday) before they receive it. How should I respond to the email principal sent me Monday asking for available dates for IEP meeting? Really, that IEP meeting would be a joke considering what she wrote in her first email. Can I just email back that I don't think it's an IEP meeting she's really asking for.

SaraT

I would tell her you are loooking for an advocate to mediate as your son is not receiving the help needed and that you will contact her when one is available.

I wouldn't say anything else. Don't give her any ammo.

klmno

I've had some links to advocates sent to me- however- I can't seem to access any names/numbers for a local one. The Special Education attny gave me a couple of names of people, but he says they are "Moms" who know how to fight the sd's around here. I thought an advocate was supposed to have some kind of credentials or training- do sd's take it seriously if your advocate is another parent?

SaraT

most advocates are moms/dads who have had acvocate training, but no degree. I am trying to become one in my area. The district takes them seriously because then there is a third party that can go tell state schools is not doing their job.

klmno

Thanks, Sara! You've been a great help through all this! My plan is to get the certified letter off to principal and Special Education director asking for third party to do FBA and to provide someone to school to teach them how to provide legal, FAPE to a kid with issues like difficult child's. (Hey, if they already know how to do it, then why aren't they?) And, I've downloaded the state complaint form and started jotting notes so everything will be sent to them next- with copy of my and principal's emails. After I went back and read these again- now that my fever started lowering and I'm coming out of a fog (LOL)- I did sound frustrated, as I was, but I don't think I threatened anything other than to get someone else involved to help them educate my kid. If principal had good intentions toward students and really hasn't been trained on this type of problem, wouldn't she have been glad to get that? Her position of "well, we'll just show her- I'll get all these people together and call it an IEP meeting"- well, that might not look too good on her.

klmno

Just need to confirm something- the FBA is to determine if behavior is effecting learning- but that behavior doesn't necessarily have to be violations of the code of conduct, correct? For instance, difficult child is not turning in classwork assignments- I can't get any information from teacher or collaborative as to why (if he's refusing to do it, spacing out, etc). Either way, would this be considered behavior IS effecting learning and grades, even though he isn't actually breaking any rules? The collaborative teacher is required in his IEP- did it need to also specifically say each little thing- like redirect him when necessary, help him stay on task, ask why he's not turning work in? I thought that was a given- and sd lead me to believe these things were givens if a student is assigned to collaborative classes.

Sara, I forgot to mention in my last post- If the sd won't accept someone teaching them a little more about how to educate a difficult child with a mood disorder, I will ask for more changes from the state.

SaraT

The FBA should look at all areas of behavior. My daughters BIP(behavior Intervention Plan) has things in it for both organizational skills and for frustration blowups. And yes, you have to have them spell out every little detail in an IEP or BIP. That way if you have problems, homework not done, verbal bowup, etc, and the very detailed plans have not been followed, then you have stronger proof of sd not doing job.

You can have it put in the IEP that all of difficult child's teachers take a training course in how to educate and deal with mood disorder children. Both now and for each and every year until he graduates.