FDA investigating Dog Treats

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thanks for the heads up.......

Haven't tried it - because on bag of that would last - 2 treat passouts in the house.

InsaneCdn

Thanks for the reminder.... its gotten to the point around our house that if it's edible - human or pet - and it comes from China, it doesn't come into our house. There's just too many different stories, across too many years.

donna723

Is it just the chicken treats from China? Not that I buy that stuff anyway ... You have to be super careful about what you buy because some things that say they're made in America may use ingredients that are imported from China and other questionable sources.

There's a lot of recipes for homemade dog treats out there and I think I'm going to try making some. At least that way I'd know they were safe for them to eat. We had our little local art festival here a few weeks ago and the Humane Society had a booth where they were selling various homemade dog treats. I bought a huge lidded glass canister full of little heart shaped dog treats made with oatmeal and honey and they absolutely love them!

InsaneCdn

If you want to make really healthy dog treats (I haven't had time for this), the trainer says to cook up veggies (just veggies and water), then puree them, spread on a cookie sheet or thicken a bit (I think she uses tapioca starch) and form into shapes... and then dry them out in a warm oven. She uses carrots, beets, zuchinni - stuff that tends to grow in abundance and be "left over" from the fall garden... Too much grains isn't good for doggies... kinda like cookies for kids.

Star*

call 911........call 911
If anyone has a GOOD / INEXPENSIVE recipe for home made dog biscuits - PASS IT ALONG. THANKS

InsaneCdn

If anyone has a GOOD / INEXPENSIVE recipe for home made dog biscuits - PASS IT ALONG. THANKS
We posted at the same time... so you probably didn't see mine.
Assuming you grow a big garden... veggie treats go over really well with dogs... and are so doggone healthy it ain't funny!

If you want to make really healthy dog treats (I haven't had time for this), the trainer says to cook up veggies (just veggies and water), then puree them, spread on a cookie sheet or thicken a bit (I think she uses tapioca starch) and form into shapes... and then dry them out in a warm oven. She uses carrots, beets, zuchinni - stuff that tends to grow in abundance and be "left over" from the fall garden... Too much grains isn't good for doggies... kinda like cookies for kids.

Thanks InsaneCdn!! My dog is on a grain free diet and loves veggies. I give her carrots, green beans, lettuce, etc.. for treats. I know she'll be happy to be able to eat "cookies" again.

TM, Thanks for posting this. SFR

Lothlorien

Milos? Really? Gosh darn it. I bought a bunch of them with coupons not that long ago. My dog loves them.

My last dog died from kidney failure and it all started right after she had a can of Alpo which happened to have the serial number that had that bad gluten. She got sick right after and it all went down hill from there. I don't want that to happen to our current dog.

Geesh...we can't trust anything anymore!

donna723

I had no idea that it included the Milos jerky treats either! They're still advertising them all the time! I didn't know they were imported but again, it could be that some of the ingredients are imported but they are made here. I don't think that they have to disclose that certain ingredients may be imported but I may be wrong. I do know people who make their own jerky treats for their pets and it looks pretty easy if you have one of those dehydrators that people use to dry fruits and veggies. I'll keep searching and see if I can find some good recipes for the baked doggie cookies. I know I've seen them but I just don't remember where. Most of the ones I've seen are fairly simple and I've even seen cookie cutters for making the little biscuits and cookies.