Fears abound again - like before psychiatric hospital

Andy

difficult child is down to 1/2 tab of clonazapam 3 times per day (.25 mg each time). He has started to feel the fears he felt last Summer. He says he just feels afraid for no reason and his head is starting to feel funny again. :(

We have a medication doctor appointment tommorrow afternoon. I am so glad we started this process before the appointment so we can discuss the results.

difficult child says he wants to stay on the medication because he "can't do this without it". I don't think I want him to be on clonazepam and it is suppose to be short term so I don't think the medication doctor will keep him on.

Anyone else deal with kids who have a fear such as this? Any ideas?

klmno

Well, is there anything at all that you think he could be anxious about? (Even if he might not realize it) Or, do you think it is more of a paranoia for no reason? Are there any indications of medication withdrawal side effects? Is he taking any OTC medications?

Futurama91

Fear and a funny feeling sounds like a simple partial seizure.

I know clonazepam is used to treat those, though, so that's weird.

My daughter recently was given too much ativan after a seizure and she had a very strange experience. Does the Dr. know about this?

Andy

He is taking 30 mg of Fluoxetine per day and 50mg B-2 twice a day besides the clonazepam.

I can not think of anything that he would be fearful of.

Yesterday he went down "the path" in woods near our home. I told him he could go down it alone but not to be gone too long (15 minutes). He was back before he even reached the path and said he felt afraid. It made no sense. He has gone down the path a million times this Spring and loves to hang out at a certain clearing with a brook.

He has had a few "I feel afraid" moments out of the blue this weekend but cannot identify why. The clonazepam was prescribed to reduce anxiety but only for a short time period.
It must have taken that fear factor away because he has been without fear since going on it but now that it is being reduced, the fear is coming back.

He says he is feeling like he did just before he started having self harm and suicide thoughts.

Andy

We just had a neurologist appointment and the neurologist still thinks this is a migraine varient and not seizure. That was just after he started going off so he did not have the fear thing returned yet. We go back in three months but I am welcomed to go back sooner. I will discuss with the medication doctor tomorrow.

We are keeping our eye on the seizure possibility. Had a regular sleep deprived test but was already on clonazepam for two months. Scheduled a 48 hour the day after Easter but had gone over 2 months without any symptoms so I cancelled it. Just hard because unless we can catch one we can't say for sure that is what it is. The neurologist is willing to do a 48 hr EEG (is that the test for seizures?) but unless he is having them often enough that I think we can catch one within the 48 hours I think it would be a waste of time. I will call the neurologist and let her know of the fear factor that has reemerged. He had four possible ones two weeks ago but by the time I got into the neurologist within a week, they stopped again.

The neurologist is seeing that he is dehydrating - he is suppose to drink Gaterade and water alot. We found that those 4 "incidents" were at times he had gone without drinking anything for too long - as soon as he drank something, he felt better and the headache disappeared.

Thank you - I am going to look at the seizure issue again - that just keeps coming up. :(

BusynMember

First off, Prozac made me VERY nervous so it could be the Prozac. I would start with that right off. Now I'm going to share my own experience when I was thirteen, however I wasn't on any medications that could have contributed to it.
I don't know for sure if this is how your child feels, but I used to tell my mother, "I'm afraid, but I don't know what I'm afraid of." It turned out to actually be the beginning of my depression and anxiety disorder, which developed into a mood disorder. Clonazapan has MEGA helped me for YEARS, however I wouldn't give it to a child as it is habit forming. I made an adult decision to take it because I got so bad that I couldn't leave the house. Unlike with some people, years later it's effectiveness is still as strong as ten years ago, and it enables me to do the things that everyone else does, even go to baseball games in big stadiums (which used to freak me out). I only take a small amount at bedtime and I'm not worried about withdrawal; I plan to take it forever, since I've had such bad anxiety all of my life.
There are other alternatives for a child's anxiety and perhaps he needs something for depression or an emergent mood disorder. I don't know if this helped, but I did want to share my own experience and what it turned out to be. It was really odd when I felt afraid and wasn't sure where it was coming from. I found out when I got older that this is a common symptom when one has a mood problem. Take care.

Christy

I don't have any experience with this situation but I wanted to offer my support. I hope the psychiatrist appointment is helpful and that your son's fears subside and he can get past this without the clonazapam.

Good Luck
Christy

Andy

Christy thank you for the support - every bit helps so much.

Midwest Mom - I really do think that clonazepam is what was helping because he has been doing well in this area until this weekend when we are getting to the end of him taking clonazepam. Do you remember when you felt afraid that your head also felt weird?

I felt that medication doctor wasn't too thrilled he was put on this (done by psychiatric hospital doctor and was a result of an acute admission) because kids shouldn't have it for very long. He went along with it because it did work for my son. If it wasn't working, we would have changed medications earlie. It has helped stablize him so we can start a long term treatment plan. I am sure he has another idea. I will keep you informed as to what medication doctor says and what changes in medications are prescribed.

Andy

I should also add that difficult child is stating this is how he felt BEFORE going to psychiatric hospital. BEFORE he was on any medications.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
There are lots of medication options for anxiety, so hopefully your psychiatrist will have a solid long-term treatment plan that will work for your difficult child.

I grew up with a dad who suffered from panic attacks, and he was rx'd clonazepam among other things, but it made him too disinhibited (scared my mom to death to be riding in the car with him -- his driving became way too erratic). I'm not sure what else he took over the years, but I know his panic episodes would strike out of the blue. They later determine he is agoraphobic. He never was able to go to any school event I was in, and absolutely avoided crowds at all costs. If we went anywhere, he had to know his escape route ahead of time or he just wouldn't go.

The way panic attacks were explained to me, sometimes the underlying anxiety is often a state of mind the person is not even aware of. They tend to just ruminate over stuff until things build to a level where the mind tells the body to just shut down because it perceives itself being on overload -- so much so that the fight or flight response kicks in and everything goes haywire. It's like being born with an over-sensitive startle reflex.

My difficult child 1 had panic attacks whenever we'd go for blood draws. True needle phobia. He acted as if his life were about to end and tried to negotiate ANY other means of getting the blood -- can you just cut me? can you just cut my arm or my finger with a knife? -- rather than be stuck with a needle.

Lexapro was the magic bullet for his anxiety and he now tells me to wait in the lobby while he goes into the lab himself :D

He still has problems feeling overwhelmed in crowed places, especially if it's a new place and he doesn't know anyone. We went to a charity event today, and although he knew some of the kids there, he sat silently most of the day playing his gameboy (his way of avoiding/escaping). He admitted to me feeling a bit overwhelmed later this evening, so I need to think about whether this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

My mother, on the other had, cannot take Lexapro -- makes her very wired. Celexa works better for her.

husband takes Paxil for his anxiety and it really seems to help him a lot.

I take Norpramin (desipramine -- a tricyclic) for my anxiety and it has worked much better for me than the Celexa I started out on. I got flack from my GP for it because it is such an "old" drug -- meaning, it's been around forever and there are so many other "new and improved" drugs out there. But he can't change my mind because it's still working for me, and it's been about 7 years now. Hard to argue with that.

Hope your son gets some relief for his symptoms soon. That's a hard thing to deal with even for an adult.

BusynMember

I remember that when I felt nervous and just "not right" and creepy scared, I had some physical sensations. I believe it felt like I had a band around my head and I'd take Tylenol to try to get rid of it (didn't really work). I got stomach aches too and also, like your son, had panic attacks at a very young age.
The Clonazapan undoubtable helped me. I seem to do very well on benzos. No other types of tranquilizing medications help me as much as them--my psychiatrists (many through the years) pretty much agree that with me there must be something in them that are good for me. Since I don't get used to benzos, my intake has no increased in all the years I've taken them. I don't need or like a lot. They allow me to stop myself from getting out-of-control crazy thoughts that make me so nervous that I'm afraid to live day-to-day life. But I didn't take my first benzo until I was an adult and it was MY decision, knowing that it was habit forming. Frankly, I'd prefer being on a habit forming drug forever than not being able to leave the house (that was a nightmare). I don't mind taking my medications all my life--I think of them like insulin. If I had diabetes I'd take medications forever. I have many nervous and mood problems. I need medications forever, but that's a good thing because I'm doing really great :)