Fed the coyotes tonight...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Since the wildfire went through here last weekend, we've heard coyotes howling most nights at one end of our street or the other. It's going to be very slim pickin's for them in the hills for a long time, since about 90% of the state park burned. Which means they'll hit the sidewalks and start looking for an easy meal of either pet food left out... or a small pet left out!

Well, I've had this freezer full of about 10 pounds of freezer burned trout that I probably would never eat because of the somewhat polluted water they were caught in. So I loaded it all up in a bag and hiked out to the mouth of the canyon at dusk and tossed the fishies hither and yon just off the trail.

Hopefully the critters will find it tonight or tomorrow and enjoy the free meal. And maybe they'll have enough strength to move on across the valley to the mountains where food is more abundant...

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Sounds like it works for all involved. Hope they like dinner and then move on. Of course they may ummmmm wait for more to arrive. But we won't think like that.

beth

Abbey

Spork Queen
10 lbs. of trout? Who has that????;) I couldn't stand an ounce.

My dad used to catch trout...take it off the hook, gut it and just pan fry it on a campfire. Come on kids!! It's trout! Whose going to get the tail tonight? Ughhh.

So, I'm glad the coyotes are getting some munchies and not me. I'll stick to my banana.

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Was shocked when I read the title of your thread, but after reading what you actually did understand totally. I was thinking you put food out your back door for these critters, but knowing you put it in the "wild" was a smart idea. We have lost a few cats to the coyotes around here. We also no longer have any rabbits between the coyotes and the hawks....... Sad that these animals will be forced out of natural habitat to feed on pets.........

Last edited:

Nancy

Although I'm not fond of coyotes I feel bad for any animal that can't find food. We have coyotes in the woods behind our house and never ever let our little dog out without a leash.

Nancy

Star*

call 911........call 911
10 lbs of fresh caught in polluted water, freezer burned trout? Did that get tossed hither over the canyon rim with Coyote Pepto and Imodium? :tongue::sick:

THANK YOU for killing the coyotes GCV - snort.

mom_in_training

Yikes!!!! I deal with coyotes all the time. Since three different developers built behind my house 100 plus homes. It was not so bad before but now you see packs of them trolling our street. One lil guy walked almost right up to my difficult child about a month ago, Lol!!! She was sitting on the porch and he turned the corner. I think he was just as surprised as she was. I hate the fact that I have to always worry about my lil dog,(Hes always on a leash and I am right there with him in the front yard. I can't even let him in my backyard. Its common for the coyotes to scale the fences around here. I knew that when I got him. After all we moved into their territory. It never did seem that bad though until they built behind us.

gcv, Good job, Lol!!! Hopefully they don't track your scent... :) Looking for more.
One more thing, We have rain in the forecast, Are you preparing for it? I hope your safe from and run off from the burnt hills around you.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We have packs of Coyotes roaming here. I figure we have built them outta most of their space. So I try to give them their space...
We leave no pet food out and you can't have bird feeders here. Attracts little rodents... which attracts coyotes and bobcats.
I have seen them in the front yard a bit. So far our little tough cat has managed to evade them... circle of life I guess.
We try to keep her in most nights. But she is quick, out the door like lightening!

Hopefully they will move on...

Star*

call 911........call 911
headache, heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, diarrahea -

That is the coyote on burned out hill dance.....

Kinda like a furry Maccarena.....:tongue:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Weeeellllllll.... I dunno if any coyotes found the trout, but a dozen turkey vultures and a redtail hawk (maybe even the one that got Herbert) caught wind and have descended upon the seafood buffet like ants on a picnic. Oh well, at least somebody is enjoying my little wildlife offering!