Female question

flutterby

Fly away!
My breasts have been very sore for about a month now. I did a self-exam and everything feels normal, but it was quite uncomfortable.

I've been taking my progestin regularly (I take it so I don't have periods), so it shouldn't be hormonal.

Any ideas?

And, no, I'm not pregnant. :tongue:

klmno

If it's not hormonal and you have no periods, I'm not sure. Have you done any strenuous exercises or anything physical lately?

witzend

I had that a while back. You could have a mild infection that's showing in your lymph nodes. Is it time for you to see your doctor for your annual? You can always call and ask to speak to the doctor's assistant as to your symptoms, and ask if you should get an appointment.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My thinking is that you have fibrocystic breast disease. Do you breasts feel "lumpy" normally? I would ask a doctor about the constant tenderness. It could be a reaction to something you are taking other than the progestin.

I have FBD and I don't even bother to do self-exams. I can't remember which lumps were already there. I just get an exam and mammo yearly and hope for the best.

The reason I think it might be hormonal is that my breast tenderness cleared up completely once I finished menopause (Yippeee!).

Before, I did find that limiting/cutting out caffeine helped A LOT, so that might be something to look into as well.

flutterby

Fly away!
My breast tissue is kinda lumpy - especially the left one, which is the most tender.

I'll have to look that up.

Witz - I'm overdo for my annual, but I don't really need an annual since I'm not...you know. But, it wouldn't hurt to call.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Obviously, a check up with your Dr is best. I personally would not rule out hormonal changes. Just because you're taking progestin, that doesn't mean your body is not mixing things up itself naturally. Just a thought.

For the pain, try warm moist compresses and some advil if you can take it.

Steely

Agreed..................:sick: Come on men. "Man up".

Sometimes I will have this issue when I am sick. (As in mono. Which affects the lymp nodes and the immune system.)
OR
If I have been over strenuous.
OR
If my hormones are super wonky that specific month. I would suggest letting your cycle run one more month and see if it gets better.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I had that issue when I headed into menopause............ Every single time of the month. I've never had it before that time. (except preggers) Never have had an issue with it since. Of course all my other menstral symptoms also went straight thru the roof.

If your body has decided it's time for the change, even the hormone you're taking may not be enough to stop it or prevent symptoms. I'd check with doctor just to be sure.

Hugs

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We women are born with as many eggs as we get for life. Women who have been pregnant, especially if they breast feed, often have a later menopause because they don't use up their eggs as quickly due to the time spent not cycling.

I am 49, and "quit" last summer after three years of a miserable perimenopause (queen of hat flashes and sweats, ugh!)

Marguerite

Don't panic. I just looked up progestin side effects, and breast tenderness is one of the listed ones.

Of course you need to let your doctor know, in order to ensure there isn't something else to rule out, but I don't think it's time to get too nervous just yet.

I know you say you've been on it for a while so you don't feel this should happen NOW, but it still could. Your body doesn't totally shut down hormonally just because you're taking progestin; you get the overlap between your own body trying to have normal cycles, and the progestin trying to make your body think you're pregnant. These days hormonal treatment is as low-dose as possible, far lower a dose than when I started out on the Pill. So chances of your own hormonal system having an impact is a lot higher.

We women are born with as many eggs as we get for life. Women who have been pregnant, especially if they breast feed, often have a later menopause because they don't use up their eggs as quickly due to the time spent not cycling.

That is true, but there are many other factors linked to menopause onset. I had four kids and hit menopause at 50. My mother had 8 kids and hit menopause a bit earlier than this - she was 44 when I was born and had already had some early menopause signs. My sister-in-law had two kids while struggling with early menopause - she needed hormonal assistance to get pregnant. Her youngest is now 16 years old and as I said, the mother was in early menopause during pregnancy when she was 34 years old.

Heather, get yourself checked out. it's possible that the dose is a bit too strong. Or not quite strong enough. A blood test will determine what is going on. If your breasts are at all lumpy and you are still only 36, I wouldn't think a mammogram is a good idea, it is of limited use when your breast tissue is still "perky". You need to be withered & saggy like me, for a mammogram to really help.

Marg

busywend

I can't remember what it is called (stop laughing you guys!) but there is a vitamin that you can take that helps with that pain. My BFF has had to take it and she swears by it!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hormonal breast pain can be helped by taking DAILY Evening primrose oil and vitamin E. I take a combo of oils: evening primrose, borage and flax along with 400IU vitamin E and it helps with my montly breast pain.