Filing for guardianship?

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh, perhaps the point of the next court date is your daughter will be there to plead her case? I can't recall all the details anymore, but with permanent guardianship, I think the judge wants to hear her side. If she doesn't show up, well, that will speak volumes.
You might check with CPS.

Well filed a 6 page diatribe she wrote going back to 2011 with tons of lies & half - truths. But then he let me read my 2 page statement - which I unfortunately broke down...then they spoke & I told the judge I have a whole binder here that literally contradicts everything he just said & in their own words. I explained I had wanted to put some of it with the original filing but the clerk said it's private conversations so only the judge could do that. So I only had what the law librarian wrote, as to why we needed temporary guardianship, & then permanent. The judge said it would depend on who's phone it was. It is mine! He said that would take care of it then! He recessed for 1/2 hour & my poor husband & daughter had to rush miles away to make copies & get back in time. 83 pages later...The judge read it all. Before he came in he had ordered a call to CPS to find out what they had to say. Apparently my daughter called CPS to come check out the baby & their living situation - I guess she really believes what they are doing is fine. While we were in recess another clerk brought in a one page letter stating CPS recommended for temporary guardianship! Then after reading all 83 pages the judge told the boyfriend he has a hard time believing anything the kid had just said!!! He found for us, but said it was "close"? I guess he has to assume what my daughter is saying is true? Anyway that's why I have no idea what will happen on April 2nd. I don't see how anything will really change in a month when they are drug addicted...plus now we have to wait on the felony hearing too. I know we have to pass the investigation by I think CPS but could be a court investigator? Not a worry there, I'm just not sure where the judges mind is. They have supervised visitation 4 X's a week as well. I had no idea it's $35 an hour! We are supposed to split it 50/50. They don't have the $$. Plus they don't have a car to get there & it's really not near either of us. Further for me with my giant car that gets 10 miles to the gallon! (It's paid for & it's cheaper than buying new, lol) so maybe the judge wants to see what kind of commitment they have to get the visits scheduled & paid for? Haven't heard anything so far today though. Just going to enjoy our time together for as long as we can...and pray my daughter has finally hit rock bottom & will turn it back around!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I believe they make every attempt to give the parents a chance. My daughter was supposed to do supervised visitation as well as therapy, she didn't do any of it. The judge asked her about it at the hearing and she gave an answer which took no responsibility at all. It was obvious she hadn't made an effort. If your daughter cannot pay for half, then that is on HER not you. I believe the court is trying to discern if these parents will do whatever it takes to get their child back. Which of course, we would do, the vast majority of parents would do, but our kids don't. That becomes apparent to the judge.

Just an FYI: We are going in at 9AM tomorrow April 2nd for our guardianship hearing. We don't know what to expect, but it's only been about a month since we got temporary guardianship of our granddaughter. Please pray we can keep her. Nothing has changed that would make the situation any better for her to go back. I'll keep you posted but if you would, please pray for the best outcome for our baby. Thanks. (9AM Pacific time)

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Saying a prayer for you.......I'll be thinking of you at 9......best of luck to you.......let us know what happens. Do you think your daughter will show up?

PatriotsGirl

Sending my prayers!!!! If nothing in their situation has changed, there is very little chance of them getting the baby back...the baby's interest is the highest priority. <3

Please update us on how it went...

stressedmama

Court today? Let us know how it went when you have a moment to breathe. We get very few of those moments taking care of our grandkids!! Hoping things go/went well!!

Well social services is stepping in & filing a code 300. (? ) apparently this is the way to get them the help they need - drugs, mental health, parenting classes etc. We go back on Thursday 4/9. From what social services told us, it's all on our daughter & boyfriend now to step up & prove they are good parents. As an aside their felony hearing was continued til 4/23. The DA offered them 120 jail time with probation & restitution, if they stay clean for 2 years dropping the felony to a misdameanor. Which I think is tremendously fair. They are being given a path now, it's up to them to choose it or not. Please pray at least our daughter gets the help she needs & can have her baby back in her life as a normal parent, otherwise it looks like I'm back in "the game" - as mom, that is...ugh! Thanks everyone for your prayers & kindness. I pray for all of us on this site that our kids get it together!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thanks for the update. Well, it does look like your daughter is being given a chance, and now it's up to her to take it. You can't do it for her. But the baby is safe because you stepped up......bless you for that.........

stressedmama

Sorry, I'm a little confused. What's supposed to happen on 4/9? Was your daughter and her boyfriend high so the hearing could not proceed?

No. The reason it was put out til 4/9 is because social services attorney is now filing a code 300 welfare & institutions filing & it will take him that long to get all the information he needs from all parties. We had to go down & get fingerprinted yesterday! It's the best possible situation though because now that they are involved my daughter & her idiot boyfriend will each have an attorney, drug & domestic violence counseling, psychiatric evaluations & all the therapy needed. It's up to them to take the help! If they don't this baby & any future baby will be in the hands of the county/state. They will have 6 months to get their lives together, if they are trying but not well enough another 6 months up to 18 months. After that we will have to adopt our granddaughter. But we are hoping they will take advantage of these services & get well, do they / we can all live in harmony & at least my daughter can raise her child! It's our hope & prayer!

InsaneCdn

But we are hoping they will take advantage of these services & get well, do they / we can all live in harmony & at least my daughter can raise her child! It's our hope & prayer!
At least you know you have done everything possible to make that happen. I'm amazed at how much you have accomplished, so FAST!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
You've done a really stellar job here loverwhelmed. You've got everything in place to protect your grandchild. That's all you can do right now. Celebrate how far you've come, how much you've done. Enjoy the moment and take very, very good care of yourself. This stuff is so hard on us and you have a little one now to care for.......remember to take care of YOU too.

Yes, we'll I don't want to get too pleased with myself. I know these things can change in an instant! Right now I'm confident the law is very concerned for our granddaughter & I'm happy they see what the we see. I just pray they (my daughter) takes advantage of the services offered & comes to her senses! Thank you for all the kind words they are very much appreciated! It really helps to know others have been through this & come out the other side! I will continue to pray for everyone on this site as we all go through this together! We must be a good group of "bad a@@es" as God never gives us more than we can handle! Lol

Well I'm back! I need advice. I've had the worst time trying to get information from CPS & have probably pissed them off because I've gone over the workers head...Apparently now we are nothing more than the state's care taker of our own granddaughter & have no "say" in anything! We go back to court on Monday & we've been told to ask for financial aid, so now we actually need it & have applied & now the worker is saying they are recommending that our granddaughter go back to her parents on Monday! Even though they cancelled our last visitation & have been late to the last 3! I cannot get a hold of our granddaughter's attorney because her voicemail is ALWAYS full! I did speak with the a few weeks ago & she said she's never seen a baby go back this soon. I'm so scared! It is too soon. They are still supposed to go to jail for the felony theft, but they keep putting it off. Now they go back on June 25th for that & it could be prolonged further...if this had been me, I'd be on death row by now! I'm sorry CPS is involved. I thought it would be good for our daughter so she could get mental counseling & drug & alcohol rehabilitation, but I don't see anything like that happening. So far all I can gather is she's passing her testing & "they" started parenting classes last week. Anyone have any ideas? Apparently the CPS "boss" now lives 2 doors down from our new house. Do I dare knock on his door this weekend? I don't want to go over any lines, but I need to know what to do. I keep being told to do "nothing" but take care of the baby..."really"? Ugh...any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks